Soloxine

I give it with breakfast and dinner, because it's easier to remember that way. I've never heard that it matters, although I know you can give it on an empty stomach because I do on dental days.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

I was given explicit instructions (my vet indicated that it is Dr. Jean Dodds new protocol) that it should be given either 1 hour before a meal or 3 hours after a meal. No time range, meaning it doesn't have to be 12 hours apart. It hasn't been a problem for Carl, no stomach upset, no big D.

Edited by ckruzan

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

My vet's protocol differs from Jean Dodds, but I have to be honest, I would follow Jean's instructions without a doubt.

Same with people, thyroid meds should be given on an empty stomach

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

I was given explicit instructions (my vet indicated that it is Dr. Jean Dodds new protocol) that it should be given either 1 hour before a meal or 3 hours after a meal. No time range, meaning it doesn't have to be 12 hours apart. It hasn't been a problem for Carl, no stomach upset, no big D.

Oh that is interesting. I have a great respect for Dr. Dodds.

gallery_19161_3282_5037.jpg

Me, too, she's a wealth of information wrapped in experience. We sent Carl's bloodwork to her for a full blood panel as well as thyroid panel. It was on the document typed under her interpretation of his results. My vet said that they used to tell people to give it with meals, but when they read that they saw that her protocol had changed.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Me, too, she's a wealth of information wrapped in experience. We sent Carl's bloodwork to her for a full blood panel as well as thyroid panel. It was on the document typed under her interpretation of his results. My vet said that they used to tell people to give it with meals, but when they read that they saw that her protocol had changed.

Thank you. We are now using her protocol as of yesterday.

That is not true. If a person takes natural thyroid as opposed to the synthetic version food does not matter.

From the Armour thyroid website: "Take Armour thyroid by mouth with or without food". All my physicians for 30+ years have agreed.

Synthroid says take at least 30 minutes before eating for people and since the dogs is synthetic that might be a good idea.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Humans are supposed to take Synthroid--levothyroxine, which is exactly the same as Soloxine but with a different trade name--on an empty stomach and then wait a while before eating. I would imagine it's reasonable to assume that it would be the same with dogs.

Before I knew this (I just started taking Synthroid myself last year and was told about the empty stomach thing) I always gave Argus and Raven their Soloxine with meals. It is easier to remember that way and it didn't occur to me that food would interfere with absorption of the drug. I've continued to give Raven her Soloxine with meals because it's how I reliably remember to give it to her and because she continues to do well and respond to the treatment. Her thyroid panels come back fine.

If you can remember to give it when you're supposed to, I would certainly suggest giving it on an empty stomach. If you need to give it with meals, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg

That is not true. If a person takes natural thyroid as opposed to the synthetic version food does not matter.

From the Armour thyroid website: "Take Armour thyroid by mouth with or without food". All my physicians for 30+ years have agreed.

Synthroid says take at least 30 minutes before eating for people and since the dogs is synthetic that might be a good idea.

Every doctor that I work with, and there are several, who prescribe Synthroid, and they all do but one, instructions are on an empty stomach. Pharmacists will say the same thing. And just in my own experience, I know no doctor who has prescribed natural thyroid meds

Edited by cbudshome

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

Guest MAXNAV

I was always told from different vets I've used, that my guys could take the Soloxine with breakfast and dinner. The vet said that it didn't matter.

We give it at both meals.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

My guys get their Thyroxine with meals. I'm about to have to get a refill, and I'm going to ask my vet specifically about Soloxine (vs. Thyroxine) and about with/without food.

Is there a link to Dr Dodds' recommendations?

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

My guys get their Thyroxine with meals. I'm about to have to get a refill, and I'm going to ask my vet specifically about Soloxine (vs. Thyroxine) and about with/without food.

I can't find it, but if you email her and ask her your questions and her protocol she'll get back to you - quickly. My guess is she would be more than open to emailing you and your vet the protocol. I emailed her on a Sunday at 12:30pm and had an email response from her by 2:00pm the same day. I emailed her at:

Hemopet@hotmail.com

Edited by ckruzan

I can't find it, but if you email her and ask her your questions and her protocol she'll get back to you - quickly. My guess is she would be more than open to emailing you and your vet the protocol. I emailed her on a Sunday at 12:30pm and had an email response from her by 2:00pm the same day. I emailed her at:

Hemopet@hotmail.com

Thank you for her email address. I am going to email her about the protocol as I would like to share it with my greyhound group in the newsletter.

Hemopet@hotmail.com

Thank you for her email address. I am going to email her about the protocol as I would like to share it with my greyhound group in the newsletter.

Jean lectures all over the world, and no matter where she is, she will respond right away. I don't think the woman sleeps :lol

I adopt from Jean, but one of my boys who came from elsewhere had a problem. I emailed Jean knowing she was in Italy at the time. It was the middle of the night there and I got a responce from her within the hour.

Edited by cbudshome

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Jean lectures all over the world, and no matter where she is, she will respond right away. I don't think the woman sleeps :lol

I adopt from Jean, but one of my boys who came from elsewhere had a problem. I emailed Jean knowing she was in Italy at the time. It was the middle of the night there and I got a responce from her within the hour.

:nod

That's how I knew to write to her, Claudia told me about her and her experience in contacting her!

I guess Dr. Jean Dodds does not take a day off as I sent her an email this morning (Sunday) and had a reply within an hour. She sent me the protocol and it does say on an empty stomach one hour before a meal or three hours after a meal. If anyone wants me to email them her response with the protocol, please email at: adoptgreyhounds@sbcglobal.net

OK, now I am mad at my vet for giving me the wrong information and mad at myself for taking his word for it and not doing the research! Thanks to all of you we now have the protocol and I am taking it to my vet tomorrow. Tomorrow is the day that my non-grey sees the cardiologist for the heart murmur.

Guest MAXNAV

WOW! I'm really upset at my prior vet, as well as the one I have now. Don't you think they would have specified 1hr before or 3hrs after a meal? Why wouldn't they even put it on the rx bottle? I'm reeeeeeeealy mad. Thank you for letting us know. I'll be calling my vet in the a.m.

I don't have a link just her email reply. If you want send me an email to adoptgreyhounds@sbcglobal.net and I will forward that email to you with the protocol.

Don't be upset with your vets for not following this protocol. A lot of vets don't, and if I understand it correctly, not following Jean's protocol doesn't mean the thyroid meds don't work, they are just more effective if the protocol is followed. But...I could be wrong.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg