Lewis Kirtley (vs Lowrider)

fourofem

I helped my sweet, handsome, gentle, big boy to The Bridge yesterday afternoon and with him, he took the better part of my heart. The part that is left knows that he can now run with the pack without faltering and looking back at me to ask "why can't I do this anymore?". The part that is left knows he now has four strong legs and healthy lungs and can eat whatever he wants....even mashed potatoes (his favorite!) with no more pills. The part that is left is sad.

I'm ashamed to admit this but I don't remember his "gotcha day". I'm pretty sure it was sometime during the summer of 2005. I remember the first day I ever saw him and telling Sheila and Greg to "get the papers in order....he's mine". I remember taking he and Lizzie to Dewey that fall. That's where I discovered his love of the water. I remember the day I went to WalMart to buy his first pool and how he jumped in before there was even an inch of water in it. I have lots of "remembers" with my boy.

I don't know anything about racing but I do know that of all my crew, Lewis was the only one with a win beside his name. That will remain a mystery to me because when I watched him run around the backyard or at the soccer field, he never looked where he was going...he was always looking back to see who was chasing him. I'm thinking the only way he pulled it off was there were either no other dogs in the race or he just knocked them out the way. Doesn't matter...his career was short lived and that's a good thing...it gave me more time with him.

He was a shy boy. There were only a few people he was comfortable with. He thought my sister and brother-in-law were okay and he tolerated by dog/house sitter but other than them, he was out the door. As hard I worked to get him past that, he only wanted his Momma. That proved to be a challenge when he decided to spend New Year's Eve on the road....the second longest night of my life.

Yes, the part of my heart that is left is sad but I know he's already met up with his former housemates...Crooke, Mouse, Buzz, Flake and Prince and they're showing him around. I also know he had a new best bud named Jack.

Lewis, my sweet boy, I love and miss you so much and I wish there was something more I could have done. Rest well, my man until we see each other again. I love you.

siggie50_1.jpg

Blair, Stella (DND Heather), Lizzie (M's Deadra), Hitch (Hallo Dominant) and House (Mac's Dr. House)

Missing my handsome men Lewis (Vs Lowrider) - 11/11/01 - 3/11/09, Kevin (Dakota's Hi Five) - 1/1/06 - 4/18/11 and my cat, Sparkle Baby - ??/??/96 - 4/23/11

"The gift which I am sending you is called a dog, and is, in fact, the most precious and valuable possession of mankind." (Theodorus Gaza)

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh Blair. :grouphug I would have thought I would have run out of tears. He had the best life with you. All filled up with love.There is absolutely no doubt of that. Lewis will be cuddled up in your heart for always and I thank you for sharing him. It makes me smile to think of our two boys together healthy again. Have fun boys. :gh_bow

:f_red:f_red

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

What a sweet tribute. I am so sorry for your loss. :(

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

He was such a beloved companion. :cry1 I'm so very sorry for your loss. :grouphug

Godspeed, sweet Lewis... :gh_run

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Guest vahoundlover

:cry1 I am so sorry :grouphug Your handsome fella will always be with you, in your heart and the beautiful memories you created together.

Godspeed Lewis :f_red

:cry1

Lewis, aka Lowrider (it's been soooo long since I've thought of that name) aka Thor, was my foster for a very short time... until Blair saw him and fell in love. He came to me in July along with another very special girl (KRKWMU's Gracey) from Onrush Pam. I met the trailer and when he got out, I remember thinking... that is one big, goofy, gangly boy. He was slated to go to another adopter but he backed out because he wasn't sure if he was ready for him. Fate brought him to Blair. She met him and the rest is her story.

The last time I saw him was an hour or so after she found him on New Year's Day. He was tired and cold and he had eyes only for his mama. He loves her as much as she loves him. My girl, Crooke, is definitely showing him the ropes and taking care of him. Mouse is probably picking on him... she did have a thing for the big guys, you know. The others are letting him hang out.

Love you, Lewis. Run free...

:f_white

Elphie, Kulee, Amanda, Harmony, Alex (hound mix), Phantom, Norbet, Willis (dsh), Autumn (Siamese) & Max (OSH) & mama rat, LaLa & baby Poppy! My bridge kids: Crooke & Mouse (always in my heart), Flake, Buzz, Snake, Prince (GSD), Justin & Gentry (Siamese), Belle (Aussie/Dalmatian mix), Rupert (amstaff) and Fred, Sirius, Severus, Albus, George, Hagrid, Hermione, Minerva, Marilyn, Wren, Molly, Luna, Tonks, Fleur, Ginny, Neville, Bill, Percy, Rose & Charlie (rats)

:cry1:cry1:cry1

I am so sorry.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

I'm so very sorry. :cry1

Godspeed Lewis.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

I am so sorry you had to say goodbye to your beautiful Lewis. Your tribute was lovely and he was certainly cherished and loved. May all those special memories of him bring you comfort.

f_yellow f_yellow f_yellow

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

I am so sorry for the loss of your beloved Lewis.

Run free at the Bridge, sweetheart.

:grouphug

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France