Red Tiger Smoke

knightfal

Hello all I am new to the forums and wanted to post about my recent loss

Red Tiger Smoke was his track name, but we called him bullet. Bullet was born in May if 1998 and we adopted him in June of 2000. When we went to look at all the dogs on adoption day my then fiancee Kelly saw Bullet hiding in the back of his cage and said we should get this one. He was a special needs dog because of separation anxiety, so I was hesitant. After a few minutes we decided to adopt him and give him a forever home. When we first brought him home he would have nothing to do with me. He was fine with my fiancee and most other women but it seemed as if he was afraid of men. I was disappointed as here was a dog that I wanted and he did not like me. We attributed it to him maybe being abused by a man perhaps his trainer while at the track. After a few months Bullet was warming up to me and eventually his fear of men was a thing of the past. My fiance and I eventually got married and had a daughter in 2003. From the day we brought her home bullet just loved her. He would lick her face, sniff her and lay by her. Also in 2003 we received a call from Tender Touch that a litter mate of Bullets had just been brought off the track and had been sent to a foster home after his post track vet visit. We without hesitation said we wanted him and they got us in touch with his foster parents. In March of 2003 we adopted Red Tiger Blast AKA Blast. They just loved each other, they would lay on the couch together, fight over stuffed toys etc. They were brothers, friends, and buddies. Over the years Bullet and Blast became such a tremendous part of our family, it was like they were our kids too. I do believe that Greyhounds are truly different from every other breed. They are most like humans with their actions and provide so much love in return for the love you give them. This past week Bullet had started giving out a small yelp when he would lay down. We just thought it was arthritis as he was getting older. Tuesday of this week he was okay and acting normal again. Wednesday Afternoon he took a turn for the worse and slowly started to lose function of his back legs. Thursday I took him to Tender Touch Vet and we were referred to PVSEC. The news wasn't good as they said he would never walk again. I being the optimist took Bullet back home and hoped for the best. Thursday night I laid with him in our living room trying to keep him comfortable. We were up all night he just would not rest and just did not understand his back legs didn't work. I could see he was in pain and at 5:30am This Friday 3/6/09 I made the decision to let him go to heaven. He took one last car ride with my wife and I and is now running about in the heavens with all the other Greyhounds. This was by far the hardest thing I have ever had to do in my life and I do not think I will ever totally recover from the sudden loss of my beloved Bullet. He was such a big part of our lives. His brother blast even misses him as he sniffs around the house looking for him. So as I close this out, Bullet we love you always and forever and thank you for the many years of love and joy you gave back to us. And thank you to everyone at Going Home Greyhounds Adoptions for giving us the opportunity to have and to experience the love and joys of the greatest breed on earth.

2139679380104905444S425x425Q85.jpg

3/18/09

Tribute video added on page 5, post #82

Edited by knightfal

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am so sorry for the loss of your precious Bullet. What a handsome boy he was, and he had a wonderful life with you and your family. He went to the Rainbow Bridge knowing he was very well-loved.

:grouphug

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

I am so very sorry for your loss. Over time, may your wonderful memories bring you peace.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

Guest how888

What a stunning angel you have watching over you now... I am so very sorry.. :cry1 Run with the best up there sweetie til we all meet again over that rainbow.....

:f_red:gh_run:f_red

I'm so sorry for your loss. Bullet was magnificent & obviously very well loved. Godspeed Bullet! f_yellow

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Guest gotgr8hnds

f_yellowI'm so glad that Bullet found his forever home with you....a place where he was well-loved and cherished. And, he gave so much to you and your family, in return. I am crying with you and I'm so sorry for your loss.

~~~Sweet Bullet, may you 'kick up the wind' and run on the wings of angels~~~

Guest PhillyPups

My heart breaks for and with you. Bullett is in good paws with his brother, Red TigerPower my baby, my love, my angel.

Seems like this litter went through some tough times, but they found the love they deserved. Bless you for taking in both Bullett and Blast and loving them.

:bighug to you.

I am so very very sorry we had to meet like this.

Pat ~

Missing My TigerPower

What a beautiful, handsome boy. I am so sorry for your loss.

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

Thank you all for your wonderful comments. It helps. Being a 31yr old man ( you know, tough guy) I never thought I would be brought to my knees with so much sadness and pain. I breakdown at with the slightest thought of him. His Brother Blast is taking it real hard, he sleeps on Bullets bed in the exact position Bullet would sleep every night. My daughter is 5 and says, "Daddy can't you just drive to heaven and bring him back?" That just kills me. I was recently laid off and was down about that, but as I look back it was a blessing. I was able to spend the last 3 months with my buddy laying next to me on the couch snuggling.

My heart breaks for and with you. Bullett is in good paws with his brother, Red TigerPower my baby, my love, my angel.

Seems like this litter went through some tough times, but they found the love they deserved. Bless you for taking in both Bullett and Blast and loving them.

:bighug to you.

I am so very very sorry we had to meet like this.

Pat ~

Missing My TigerPower

Pat, thank you for your kind words. I am sorry we had to meet this way too. Blast looks just like your TigerPower. Do you know a lot about this litter? I know Jazz was adopted here in western PA too.