First Post - We Just Lost Bubba Nomad

Guest TBaxes

Guest TBaxes

My wife and I were devastated yesterday by the loss of Bubba Nomda. He was 7 years and 10 months. I got up this morring with very little sleep, and decided to look up a forum for greyhounds, in hopes some here could help us make sense of what just happened.

First, a quick background. We adopted Pollyana, a female fawn in 2003. We tracked her heritage to find out that she had a brother still racing in Tucson, Bubba Nomad. We tracked his career, contacted the track and the trainer on many occassions to express our interest in adopting Bubba Nomad when he was finished racing. Approx nine months later, Bubba Nomad was re-united with his Sister.

20050813image0003.th.jpg

Last Thursday, Buuba's stool was in a pile and was a very dark bluish red. Friday morning, the vet suggested he may have Thrombocytopenia. He gave him some injections and told us to watch him closely, he was to have the results of the blood work the next morning, and if we were to see any bleeding, we should take him to a local 24/7 emergency clinic.

Well, at approx 9PM that evening, Bubba began to bleed from his mouth. We rushed him to the EC, and they began all the tests. He was negative for poisons and tick diseases and others, and it was becoming apparent his immune system had faltered and was attacking his blood cells and platelets. By Sunday morning, his platelet count was down to 3,000. They then recommended we take him to UC Davis Veterinary Hospital.

Dr. Cowen was assigned the case, and he was very positive and made us feel at some ease that he may survive. Slowly, his platelet began to climb up. Monday's blood draw had him at 5,000, with signs of immature platelets which indicated strong bone marrow. Tuesday, he was up to 10,000. Yesterday, he was up to 15,000, but it was not enough to prevent the bleeding from reaching hi brain. Once this happened, the Nuerologist indicated there is no chance for survival, and we put him down.

My wife and I can't understand how such a nasty disease can exist. We have owned dogs our whole life, even during our childhood, but this is by far the hardest we have ever been hit. We thought we had four more years fo seeing but do his little hops when he wanted a cookie. We thought we had four more years of his low rooing when he needed someone to sit next to him. We thought.....

Bubba Noma was a big grey, but gentle. He never exhibited a mean bone in his body, and was truly a gentle giant. How can a disease like this take a soul of such a gentle being? This, we cannot understand.

Any kind words, words of sympathy, and exlpanation of this disease will be welcomed.

Thank you for listening to us!!

Tom & Pat

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm afraid I don't have any answers for you, but please know I am very sorry for your sudden loss.

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

Oh, how heartbreaking, I'm so very sorry for the loss of your sweet boy :grouphug:f_white

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

So sorry. Sometimes I just don't understand why they have to leave us when they are so young. My sincere sympathy.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest WarmheartedPups

I am so very sorry for your loss of Bubba Nomad...he sounded so very special.

I lost a gentle giant as well...Otis....and I still dont understand.

I am sorry your hearts are breaking.

I am so sorry for your loss. We lost Beth in January from hemangiosarcoma. She went from what we thought was a totally healthy dog on Tuesday to hearing a death sentence on Thursday. I think when things happen so fast, we have to deal not only with the pain but the shock as well.

Guest myjazzy

I'm so sorry for your loss. The unexpected deaths are sometimes the hardest. I lost a grey at barely 6 years old in 2007.

:grouphugf_yellow

Guest jurishound

I am so sorry to hear of your loss of your beloved Bubba. It is so hard to lose such a loved member of your family, particularly when it is so unexpected. How wonderful that he was reunited with his sister before his untimely passing. Godspeed, sweet Bubba.

Guest BlackandBrindle

I'm so sorry for the loss of your sweet boy. Too many times there are no answers, just the pain of loss. :grouphug :grouphug

I am so very very sorry. I also don't have any answers. Maybe talk to the staff at UC Davis and see if they can help make some sense of what happened.

All I can offer is how sorry I am it all happened and to keep you both in my prayers to come to some peace with it all.Know that your boy will be honored here as will both of you.

God speed handsome boy,, you now run with the Angels. Please continue to watch over your mom and dad.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Perhaps you could post some pictures of your sweet Bubba? Hugs to you as you deal with this.

Run with the angels, sweetie.

gallery_14387_3165_6886.jpg

Patsy and DH with the Humane Society specials, Linus & Jazz, in North Dakota

I can't offer any explanation either but I wanted to say how sorry I am that you lost your boy at such a young age and so unexpectedly. Life is often so unfair and there seems no rhyme or reason as to why things happen as they do. I can understand how devastated you are in your grief and shock but I hope you will eventually be able to find some peace.

RIP Bubba Nomad :brokenheart:grouphug:f_red

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

Guest BoogieDown

I'm so sorry for your loss. He sounds like a sweet boy, and I can just picture him, hopping around hoping for a cookie.