Emily -- April, 1997 - March 2, 2009

Tracey

As soon as Jason and I moved from our apartment into our first house together, I started bugging him about getting a dog. We'd only been in the house a couple of weeks when, over Memorial Day weekend, we saw an ad in the paper for 6 week old Dalmatian/Collie puppies. We wound up paying the $60 the family was asking, but it felt more like ransom than an adoption fee. The mama, who was a dead ringer for Lassie, was living outside in a muddy, tiny pen, and the puppies were being fed nothing but oatmeal. The litter consisted of two super fluffy grey and white males, and three black and white short-haired girls. One of the girls didn't want anything to do with all the hubbub and wouldn't come out of the doghouse. The owner had to climb out and get her. We wound up picking her because she was by far the calmest one. She had the cutest symmetrical black markings, too.

Emily wasn't calm for long. No, anything but. In fact, she was wiggy. And just saying the word wiggy would set Emily into full body wiggles. Emily loved everyone, especially all men. There was something just short of obscene about the way she would climb into Jason or any other guy's lap. She loved men in a way that just wasn't quite natural for a dog. But more than that, Emily just loved. She loved everyone far more than they were capable of loving her back. The Collie in her made her a herder by nature, so she was ALWAYS under foot. We were always tripping over her because she just had to be that close.

Emily's need to herd meant she naturally went along with every bad scheme our Beagle Nigel cooked up. If he figured a way out of the fence, she would be right behind. If Nigel decided it was time to get into the trash, Emily would help. On her own, Emily was always a good girl. She was simple as could be, without two brain cells to rub together. But what she lacked in smarts, she more than made up in her capacity for love.

Emily was always a healthy, active girl. The two trips to the evet we made with her were as a result of unfortunate incidents. As a puppy, she got her foot snagged in the blades of a push mower. How on earth she ever managed it, we could never figure out. The second visit was as a result of a dime size hole in her noggin that she got from a low hanging tree branch. Other than that, she was always the picture of health.

This morning began uneventfully, and Jason and I spent it in our office with Morgan in a chair and Emily hanging out on the rug. The first hint that something was off was around noon when I noticed Emily was shivering, something I had never seen her do before. An hour or so later, after all the dogs had gone outside, she refused a biscuit, which was highly unusual. About an hour after that, Emily collapsed at Jason's feet. We got her back on her feet and at first she seemed ok. She went to lie down on a bed in our bedroom and we decided to keep an eye on her for a few minutes. Fifteen minutes after that, she started shrieking. Off to the evet we went.

The exam revealed Emily had an abdomen full of blood as a result of a ruptured mass. After discussing options, likely outcomes, etc, we decided to send Emily to the bridge. I was so thankful for the compassionate vet, nurse and staff who were on duty. The vet was very sensitive to my need to make Emily's passing a peaceful one, particularly in light of how unpeaceful Nigel's passing was. Emily went very quietly and peacefully. I know in Emily's eyes I could never compare even to any random man, but I will miss her all the same.

Emily and Nigel "sharing" a chair

110413337.jpg

84401716.jpg

79782163.jpg

Morgan and Emily playing in the snow

43330259.jpg

Bye, pretty girl.3323b_w_emily_compressed.jpg

edited to add: I was in such a fog Monday I got the date wrong.

Edited by Tracey

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm so sorry. :cry1

Godspeed Emily.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

I'm very sorry for your sudden loss. :grouphug She was a beautiful girl who brought much joy into your lives. Godspeed, sweet Emily... :heart

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

I am so sorry for your loss. Your tribute to Emily was lovely - she sounded like quite the character and she was oh so lucky that you picked her from the litter. You made some wonderful memories with your beautiful girl - may they bring you comfort and make you smile.

:f_pink :f_pink :f_pink

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

I'm very sorry :(

Sleep tight lovely Emily :beatheart

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

What a beautiful girl. I'm so sorry she's gone.

Godspeed, sweetheart.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest wmlcml6

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}} to you and Jason.

I'm so sorry for your loss of Emily. She was a beauty and sounds like quite a character.