Possible Use Of Benadryl?

Guest Wpgkeith

Guest Wpgkeith

Hey All,

So Riley's sneezing has started again... :angry: The sneezes come, often in the evening and night time. This

is from last year.. almost exactly a year ago... :unsure - so maybe it is an allergy to something? :dunno

Any hoo... our vet had suggested Benadryl at some point, and I have heard other puppers try Benadryl... but my quesiton is... should I try Riley on it?

I have a package of 25 mg tabs... do I give him a whole one (78 lb dog) or a half tab?

What, if any, reactions might I expect?

This is exacerbated by him sneezing so hard last night he gave himself a nose bleed. :(

Any advice, appreciated.

Thanks,

K

I Googled "benadryl for dogs":

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_much_Benadry..._you_give_a_dog

http://www.vetpets.net/animaltimes/humandrugs.html

The dosage recommended here matches up with what I remember my vet advising...and you can give a lighter dose, of course, until you get a chance to consult with your vet.

Edited by KF_in_Georgia

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

I would. It`s a drug that has been around a long time. Most of the children I work with who have serious allergic reactions have it on hand. It reduces the histamins quickly, therefor giving relief quickly.

You can give him a whole 25 mg tab. I`ve used benadryl for a number of situations. It was the first thing I gave Foxy when she had LP attacks. It really helped calm her and her breathing. Recently I used it for Jake`s healing eye. I think it`s worth trying, poor guy needs some relief and so do you. Let us know how it worked.

Editing to add I gave Foxy 25 mg and she was only 65lb at her heaviest.

Edited by foxysmom

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

I second trying it. And yes, 25mg is fine and you can actually give it to him twice a day, one morning, one evening based on his weight.

Wayne stays on it all summer here but never seems to need it during the winter months.

The only reaction you "might" see is he'll be a bit more sleepy

ETA: I would not give 2 at the same time. It's 1mg per body weight but should be spaced out not given at the same time

Edited by cbudshome

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Per my vet, you can safely give 1mg benedryl per 1 lb of weight, every 8 hours. Warlock has allergies and weighs 77lbs. I give him 3 of the 25mg tablets every 12 hours, and that helps him.

Denise & Strider, Blake, Fields, Frank, FlippyDoo, and Momma Gail.

The Bridge Angels Zack(Ags Marble Chip) 4/25/93-2/16/06, Wanda(Rainier Rowanda) 12/14/94-06/09/06, Brooke/Boogers(Rainier Restive) 01/01/99-10/20/08, Warlock(Rainier Rammer) 4/29/99-10/01/09), Patsie(Frisky Patsy) 5/17/96-2/05/10, Hatter(Cals Madhatter) 6/3/00-3/11/10, Dodger(Rainier Ransack) 4/29/99-4/16/10, and Sparkle(Okie Sparkle) 11/8/2000-1/28/11

Our vet recommended 2 tabs for dogs that were afraid of thunder...helped keep them calm if their anxiety wasn't TOO high.

For the sneezing, I'd try one tab and if that doesn't seem to help I'd bump it to 2 tabs and give that a try.

Don't freak out if you don't get the pill(s) down his throad and they start dissolving in his mouth - his mouth will look foamy and he might seem a little agitated. Hopefully you can just hide it in a favorite treat and it'll go right down the hatch!

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Guest luckydog

I just watched the YouTube video in your first post, and I have to say it was a good demonstration of the infamous Reverse Sneeze.

I have never heard of a correlation between reverse sneezing and allergies. Have you had your dog tested for any allergies?

Assume he's been checked for foreign body etc. in nasal cavity? I'd be more concerned about the nosebleed than the reverse sneezing. Our whippet did the reverse sneeze thing rather often; never a nosebleed or any other allergy symptoms .......

For Benadryl, I'd start with 25 mg regardless of dog's size. 25 mg was well enough for 77-lb. Batman -- even just that much made him drowsy.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest gritsnc

Our sheltie has terrible allergies in the spring. She would chew her feet until they bled and she would sneeze constantly. We had to take her for the longest time to get cortizone shots to help with the feet.

Finally, a different vet recommended giving her Benedryl. WOW...what a difference it made! It seemed to make her sleepy (common side effect in humans also), but it gave her the comfort she needed.

Guest 1stTime

The correct dosage is 1mg per pound of body weight. You could give upto 73mg of Benedryl. Try (2) 25mg tablets and go from there. You will find drowsiness the most common side effect. Good luck!!

Guest greyorkie

We give Benadryl to our Yorkie when her skin flares up. It really helps keep her comfy. She doesn't seem to get too sleepy from it either. Hope it works for you.

Guest Greensleeves

Yes, the dosage is 1mg/pound, but you always want to give the *lowest effective* dosage of any medicine. For an acute attack, I probably would start with the full dose--but be prepared for it to knock her out (it might not, but Nelly always got *very* sleepy and lethargic after Benadryl--even 25mg, and she weighed 85 lbs!). For maintenance of symptoms, you can probably drop that down. We actually switched from Benadryl to prescription Hydroxyzine several years ago (tho' we always keep Benadryl on hand), because it seemed to be more effective at a lower dose, with less drowsiness.

before i would start w/ benadryl i personally would start a regime of lemon juice. it will clear the mucous in his throat and you won't have a comatose hound hanging out. a tablespoonful of real lemon juice once daily(i usually buy the store brand) down his throat w/ a baby medicine dropper or better yet w/ a spoon. it won't harm him in any way and might stop the reverse sneezes, it clears their throat instantly. it works for my dogs and a friend's dog which i have boarded. i have an old fashioned vet w/ lots of simple home remedies that really do work.