Kasey Cut Her Leg Yesterday

My beautiful Grey, Kasey, cut herself somehow in our backyard. She was out about 10 minutes and came to the door with a lot of fur missing off her leg and a U shaped cut. Ran to the Vet and they kept her about 3 hrs and 20 stitches later she was able to come home with antibiotics and pain meds. For the life of me I cannot find anything in our yard that could have caused this. In the 2yrs Kasey has been with us she has not ever had anything like this happen. My poor baby-she is just taking it easy today and for the next 2 weeks until stitches can come out. Here is a pic of her relaxing, of course she is in full diva mode and getting anything she wants out of me-yes I even slept on the floor with her last night since she cannot jump onto my bed-I feel so bad for my girl, not to mention the guilt of not knowing what happened and not being able to keep her safe. Here's hoping for a speedy non eventful recovery!

001-6.jpg

and here is my other dog, Sierra, bored as can be wondering what is wrong with her sister and why can't she play with me :angry:

003-1.jpg

Kasey, that dark lavendar looks fetching on you--now follow the rules and Mommy will help all she can.

Sierra, honey, it's not the end of the world--things will get better, I promise.

gallery_14387_3165_6886.jpg

Patsy and DH with the Humane Society specials, Linus & Jazz, in North Dakota

Feel better pretty girl, and mom, welcome to the guilt club.

Maybe the shape of the cut will give you a clue, and if not, let's face it, we can't watch them 24/7.

A friends Grey cut himself like that pretty badly. We searched her entire yard and couldn't find a thing. Then the neighbor mentioned he was after a feral cat so that caused us to search the chain link fence closer. Sure enough, that's where he cut himself

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

poor girl. hopefully soon she will be playing with her sister (whom is stunning) soon. Dont put too much on yourself. These guys skin is so thin almost anything could do it Hugs to you all

Cassie: Pikes Clara Bell Swoop: My Man Swoop

BRIDGE ANGELS Psi:WD'S Aleford 3/17/00-4/25/10 Snowman: Gable Snowman 1/9/96-2/14/08

Can you make a video of your yard? Walk around and video fences, furniture, bushes, etc., and then post the video on You Tube? I'll bet many of us would be glad to lend an extra pair of eyes. Many of us have dogs who've hurt themselves in totally unpredictable ways, and we might be able to spot things that our own dogs have stumbled into.

And which part of her leg? The side facing away from her body? Or the side that faces toward her other leg? Or front? Or back? Straight-ish cut? Curving around the leg?

I've had Sam for six years. Several times a day for the last six years he's been successfully navigating spiral stairs in my house. Last summer, he lost his footing and wedged his foot under the metal stair riser, cutting the top of his foot. A blood vessel was exposed, and he needed four staples. My stairs now have PVC pipe tied to them so he can't do it again--home decor courtesy of Home Depot's plumbing department. :)

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Guest Winterwish

Sending feel better wishes out to Kasey! She's beautiful and so is Sierra. :wub::wub:

Is there anything sticking up from the ground she good have gotten snagged on? Or maybe a y shaped small branch jammed into her if she ran a bit and met with it just so?

Edited by Winterwish

It is frustrating when you don't know what happened, hope she heals up quickly :)

Years ago my Ruby came in with a long vertical cut on her side and we never figured out how she did it. She had to get stitches and has a scar now.

Nancy with Rocket, Umeko and Sasha

gallery_151_3099_2018.jpg

Missing Albi, Kassie, Ramm, Ruby, my good boy Marvin and Mickey (BT)

NANCY B'S COLLARS

I believe it must be some sort of a greyhound thing. After years of houndies I no longer am surprised when they come back in with a laceration from an unknown cause that is never determined. Of course I always check thoroughly and I always find nothing. It forever remains a mystery how they managed to hurt themselves. Please give Kasey a kiss and here's to a speedy recovery.

Kasey is still taking it easy-wanting to pick at her wrap any chance she thinks I am not watching :unsure I finally decided to pick her up and let her lay on my bed under strict supervision so she didn't attempt to jump down on her own. Here is a shot of my 2 girls-they really love one another!

002-1.jpg

:D

When I saw this pic in your email, I was hoping you'd share it here, too! Sierra is such a sweetheart! :wub: (Well, Kasey, too, but she's getting enough attention right now!) :lol:

Lisa
...sharing the journey with my best friend, Kevin, and our four greyhounds:
Littermates Sweetie* & Spicy (Possible Betsy, Possible Edna),

Moody* (Jr's Moody Man), and Dragon (Kiowa Dragonfire)

*Gone to wait for us at the Rainbow Bridge

Poor Kasey! Carl has had similar mystery cuts, once from inside the house, the other time from outside, which ended up in a trip to the vet for stitches. I never figured out how he cut himself outside.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Ah, the mystery yard injuries--Our guys had leg scrapes, broken toes, and webbing cuts this year in our yard. The big challenge each time was keeping the dressings dry with all the rain and snow we get. The last time--Yogi's webbing--the vet gave us a medipaw waterproof covering that was perfect for snow. It was size small--just big enough to keep the foot dry. It was soooo much better than plastic bags or IV bags.

If you decided to go this route, your girlie would probably need one of the longer ones since the injury is higher up on her leg. I know you can find them on line.

Good luck to her and to you. She seems to be taking it in stride. Nice to have a buddy for sympathy.

Poor Kasey! Sierra is being such a good sister! It's so nice when everyone is sympathetic! Get better soon, Kasey! And, Sierra, thanks for being such a good nursemaid.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead