We Need Prayers. For Me And Beau

RobinM

We've had a wonderful 24 hours and I did speak to the nutrionalist at Upenn for about 40 minutes today. She was wonderful and has had greyhounds, wants more but her very anxiety ridden whippet won't alow another dog! She gets it though.

Basically, she said the ID with tilapia is fine for now. We will need to add in the supplements from www.balanceit.com

they are completely hypoallergenic.

If he begins to not tolerate the fish and or the Z/D (Which is known to give "D") we will go to Canin HP and venison, lastly Purina HA.

She is also formulating a recipe for us. We will only need to use the balance it if he is getting less than 75% of his calories from the kibble.

Life is good today.

Edited by RobinM

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Robin, a good day is exactly what you and your DH needed. I keep checking in on Beau every day, hoping for small improvements. His weight gain, even an ounce at a time, is good and the nutritionist has given you some excellent guidelines. We all keep hoping that Beau is on the mend, that even if his healing takes time, he will get there. You certainly have tried your very, very best to see that it happens.

Beau - go for good day number two and more to follow.

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

I was so pleased to read your latest update!! Just checking in this morning to see how The Boy is doing...

:bighug

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Well of course, you can't expect 2 days of wonderful eating!!! Yesterday he took in over 1800 calories which is amazing, but today he was not overly anxious to eat. (I can't believe I ate the whole thing)

He ate 1/2 cup kibble and 6.5 oz of tilapia= 301 calories but the day is young.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

I don't have any words of advice, but wanted to send you a hug. :grouphug

You've certainly been through your share of heartache this past year between Polli and Beau. I really hope that things start to improve. You are a wonderful grey mom.

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

Guest ChasesMum

Here's a wild and crazy thought... has your vet ever brought up the thought of putting in a stomach tube? You'd have to syringe in fish smoothies every few hours but he would be force fed without the trauma of force feeding. Course maybe he isnt strong enough to undergo anesthetic at this point?

like I said, a wild and crazy thought. Maybe not even an applicable one.

Lots of prayers for you both!

Here's a wild and crazy thought... has your vet ever brought up the thought of putting in a stomach tube? You'd have to syringe in fish smoothies every few hours but he would be force fed without the trauma of force feeding. Course maybe he isnt strong enough to undergo anesthetic at this point?

Not an option! We feed him when he eats but never any type of force feeding under any circumstances as per my vet & nutrionalist.

Guest ChasesMum

Not an option! We feed him when he eats but never any type of force feeding under any circumstances as per my vet & nutrionalist.

ahh, well like I said, wild and crazy thought! :colgate poor duder... that is some $$ fish he is going through. I hope someone is giving you the warehouse price!

Well, we are paying $4.99 a pound at the oriental markets. If he starts eating some more kibble it will lighten that load. But to tell you the truths- as long as he is eating and gaining, I will feed him anything that works!

Glad to hear things are going at least somewhat better (one day at a time, right?!). You and Beau have been in my thoughts, I hope he gets back to himself again soon. You are a very strong person...

My boys, together again...

cedarlodge2010027_zpsc250b3bf-1_zps9f4d4

A hui hou kakou, my loves

Robin, just something to think about when you talk to the nutrionalist . . .for IBD in humans it has recently been shown that the high Omega six in tilapia has been causing adverse effects. I don't know if this would be the same for a canine, but your nutrionalist might have an idea.

:grouphug

Thanks Amber. The only negative the nutrional vet said about the tilapia is that it's low in calories. Other than that, no problem. We still don't know if he is tolerating it or not. Realistically, we will prob keep him on this for another 6 weeks or so and then make a change to venison. Even if he is tolerating it now, chances are that he won't be. That's the nature of the beast with this horrible disease.

Robin, you are doing an amazing job with all you are dealing with. My offer to you still stands. If you need a relief "sitter" I'm happy to come out and give you a break. I promise to get over my FOS (fear of suburbia)!!! You are only a train ride away. Is there any other mild white fish similar to tilapia that Beau might like? Maybe just a slight taste difference would tempt him. Sending lots of hugs, prayers and good thoughts.

You know that I appreciate your offer more than I can ever express. (you'd love where I am)

He does need to stay on the one novel protein and tilapia is it. Hopefully with the kibble, he will enjoy it.

thanks for thinking about us.

We had an outrageous weekend with Beau. We aim to get 1500 calories in him and this weekend we were doing: Friday: 1778, Sat: 2138, Sunday: 1895!!! And that is mostly kibble and some wet food, all z/d. We make the tilapia treats for him with the dehydrator.

today hasn't been as good, but he is doing OK. How do you compare to that?

Polli is OK, she has been a bit quiet. I feel I keep both she and Beau under a microscope.