Need To Brainstorm About Bonnie's One Lymph Node

Guest K9Cookies

Hey everyone. Bonnie has been doing well, but her left lymph node under her jaw has been quite big for about 2 weeks. Our vet, Dr. Comer, saw Bonnie this past Friday and was concerned. She looked in Bonnie's mouth and did a whole exam, but couldn't come up with a reason for why this one lymph node is enlarged. Yes, she does have lymphoma. But, all of the other lymph nodes are OK. Dr. Comer sent an email to Dr. Couto and his team on Saturday, but we haven't heard anything yet.

Here are some pictures so you can see. It's pretty obvious, huh? :blink: Has anyone else experienced this with their hound? Any of you vet techs have a theory? Help would be appreciated! I'll be calling our vet first thing tomorrow morning. It's definitely gotten bigger today.

Left lymph node

IMG_2810.jpg

IMG_2811.jpg

Right side...no problems

IMG_2812.jpg

Thank you. Keep your fingers crossed that it's something we can figure out and reverse. :goodluck Tomorrow is her 2nd Gotcha Day and one year ago, we found the lymphoma. :(

She's been eating great and playing with her toys, so no other complications. :)

Edited by KRKWMU

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Happy Gotcha Day to You!

Happy Gotcha Day to You!

Happy Gotcha Day to Bonnie!

Happy Gotcha Day to You!

Oh, sweetie! So sorry you're having to go through this! I sure hope that horrible knot on your neck is an infection! Very unusual for Dr. Couto and/or staff not to have answered by now. Maybe another email would be in order? Sending powerful prayers and healing light to the Beautiful Miss Bonnie!

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Happy Gotcha Day to You!

Happy Gotcha Day to You!

Happy Gotcha Day to Bonnie!

Happy Gotcha Day to You!

Oh, sweetie! So sorry you're having to go through this! I sure hope that horrible knot on your neck is an infection! Very unusual for Dr. Couto and/or staff not to have answered by now. Maybe another email would be in order? Sending powerful prayers and healing light to the Beautiful Miss Bonnie!

Thank you! :colgate I'm sure our vet will be calling OSU tomorrow. Dr. Couto has been on clinical rounds, so some of the other vets have been answering our questions lately.

Bonnie has been getting SMZ-TMP (generic for Bactrim) twice a day per OSU, ever since we changed protocols after Christmas. Supposedly, it's to prevent secondary infections and we were told to give it to her "as needed". I am thinking we may need to stop this medication and see what happens. I'll keep you all updated.

I wish I had something intellegent to offer but no experience what-so-ever.

With people, my first guess would be infection. Hopefully you'll have an answer soon.

Give that beautiful girl a hug from her fan club here

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

These may be farfetched ideas, but I believe they are possible--at least in human medicine. Can the one node be excised (removed), or can chemo be delivered locally (via a syringe, directly into the node/node area)? It's my understanding that radiation doesn't usually work for lymphoma, but I've always assumed that was because lymphoma was a systemic disease. Since this is just one node, single-beam radiation, or some kind of radio-active implant might be considered.

Good luck. Scritches to your babies,

DD

PS The vet is sure it's not a salivary gland acting up? Is there any other local reason that one node would be flaring up--like a local infection?

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

These may be farfetched ideas, but I believe they are possible--at least in human medicine. Can the one node be excised (removed), or can chemo be delivered locally (via a syringe, directly into the node/node area)? It's my understanding that radiation doesn't usually work for lymphoma, but I've always assumed that was because lymphoma was a systemic disease. Since this is just one node, single-beam radiation, or some kind of radio-active implant might be considered.

DD

PS The vet is sure it's not a salivary gland acting up? Is there any other local reason that one node would be flaring up--like a local infection?

That's what we said. The vet and I both laughed and I said "let's hack it out!" :eek:lol She's been through enough and I'd hate to put her under for a major surgery again. I don't even know if taking out the one lymph node is possible or reasonable though.

I'm hoping that OSU will have some good ideas and recommendations. I'm not sure about radiation or something else localized. I haven't heard too much about treatments like that. I'll keep you posted. Thanks for the ideas.

Guest twilliams

Hopefully you will hear from Dr. Couto soon. It's so tough to wait for a call back. Bonnie is so amazing! She is truly an inspiration to everyone. Kristin, in addition to Bonnie's year dx anniversary and gotcha anniversary - a year ago this week you and Drew brought us Winnie Bright Eyes from Florida . We are still so very thankful. Keep us posted.

DD

That's what we said. The vet and I both laughed and I said "let's hack it out!" :eek:lol She's been through enough and I'd hate to put her under for a major surgery again. I don't even know if taking out the one lymph node is possible or reasonable though.

I'm hoping that OSU will have some good ideas and recommendations. I'm not sure about radiation or something else localized. I haven't heard too much about treatments like that. I'll keep you posted. Thanks for the ideas.

Removing a lymph node or two is actually part of the process of diagnosing lymphoma in humans. Before you do that, I'd ask to have a biopsy done first to make sure of what's happening there.

If she's otherwise healthy, I'd do a dental (Cosmo had a couple while she had lymphoma) and follow it up w some antibiotics. That way, if it's the teeth or other local infectious process, you'll be able to knock it down. At least try a course of antibiotics; if it responds, then you know what it is.

I've got a PT appt right now, but I'll try to look up human lymphoma radiation therapy articles later today to see if those would be useful. I know RT has been used on lymphoma, but I'm not familiar with the current research.

DD

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

no advice :( :(

but sending many, many prayers to Bonnie and you that it's nothing!!! :hope:candle:hope:candle

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

I've been playing phone tag with out vet. She has talked to one of the OSU vets and has some new recommendations. I'm hoping she will call tonight still.

Bonnie's lymph node is about the same tonight. She played for quite awhile when I got home though and ate a good dinner, which included her GOTCHA DAY CAKE!!! :confetti

Edited by KRKWMU

Sending prayers for your sweet girl and wishing her a very happy gotcha day!

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest greytmonty

I am hoping OSU has some good ideas and a plan, and that it is something MINOR!!!!

Happy Gotcha Day from your friends in Philly!

Hey everyone. It's Thursday morning and I talked to our vet on my way into work. The situation isn't good. The oncologists at OSU are almost certain that this is the lymphoma resisting the chemo medications. :cry1 They thought we could do an aspirate and test to make sure, but it's kind of not necessary. The "celebration" tone this week has certainly died down in my heart. I know things aren't good.

So, we are waiting to hear about a new protocol. The current one was started after Christmas and the "good time" for each protocol keeps getting shorter and shorter. The oncologist mentioned Elspar, which Bonnie has had one time. There was also talk about some super fancy research chemo that is usually $1,000 a pop! :eek Our vet's office may not have the equipment needed to administer it though. We are hoping to get an email today or tomorrow. Bonnie has her big 1 year celebration and chemo appointment tomorrow at 11 AM. We'll keep that and she'll get either the normal vincristine injection or something new. I'm just so anxious right now. :cry1

Oh, and this morning, the big lymph node is less round, but covers more area. We can also feel the other side and the two on her front shoulders. Not good at all.

Sorry to be such a downer. I was hoping to tell you all better news.

Oh Kristin, not the news any of us wanted to hear. All we can offer is a ton of prayers, you know how much Bonnie is loved in this house!

She has had many bumps in the road and conqured them, maybe this too.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

A bunch of words that I can't say on GT

Elphie, Kulee, Amanda, Harmony, Alex (hound mix), Phantom, Norbet, Willis (dsh), Autumn (Siamese) & Max (OSH) & mama rat, LaLa & baby Poppy! My bridge kids: Crooke & Mouse (always in my heart), Flake, Buzz, Snake, Prince (GSD), Justin & Gentry (Siamese), Belle (Aussie/Dalmatian mix), Rupert (amstaff) and Fred, Sirius, Severus, Albus, George, Hagrid, Hermione, Minerva, Marilyn, Wren, Molly, Luna, Tonks, Fleur, Ginny, Neville, Bill, Percy, Rose & Charlie (rats)