Topical Solutions For Dry Skin

Guest SoulsMom

Guest SoulsMom

This winter is really doing a number on Soul's skin. It's so dry and flaky :( I've gotten a number of suggestions for oral solutions, but unfortunately Soul cannot have anything new introduced into his diet right now.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a topical remedy?

Guest greytbookert

We have some stuff called EQyss Premier Natural Botanical Pet Rehydrant Spray. We got it a local pet store awhile back but I found it online at many different places.

here is one place that carries it.. http://www.arcatapet.com/item.cfm?cat=13284

and here is the company's web site. http://eqyss.com/pet_products.asp they seem to have lots of products...

I would avoid washing him if you bathe him regularly. That will dry out his skin.

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

Guest HoustonGreys

I don't know how to do searches for topics I've seen previously but I remember one about vinegar because I sent it to a friend with a weiner dog. I know there were several suggestions like vinegar in the water which Soul can't do but there was a vinegar/water mix to spray on. Sorry I can't be more helpful and provide the link. I hope you can find it.

YES!! Coconut oil! I've started using it on Happy's tummy rash (and dry spot), and it's working nicely. Plus, it's non-toxic (in case of licking)! It's solid, more so than butter or shortening, so I warmed a blob into a small container lined with plastic wrap, to make a palm-sized "bar", which I just rub right on her skin. The warmth from her skin is enough to melt it in, then I rub it a bit. I have to say, it's leaving grease stains on the dog beds, but it's working! :)

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

Guest SoulsMom
We have some stuff called EQyss Premier Natural Botanical Pet Rehydrant Spray. We got it a local pet store awhile back but I found it online at many different places.

here is one place that carries it.. http://www.arcatapet.com/item.cfm?cat=13284

and here is the company's web site. http://eqyss.com/pet_products.asp they seem to have lots of products...

Thanks Deb! I've pursued the website, and the avocado spray looks interesting. Did the one you use help?

I would avoid washing him if you bathe him regularly. That will dry out his skin.

Nope, no regular baths . . . just twice a year.

YES!! Coconut oil!

I have this! But, he really needs it all over. Wouldn't that just make for a very greasy greyhound? :blink:

HyLyt EFA Bath Oil / Conditioner might be worth a try: http://www.dogcatetc.com/013dvm10-8.html (there's probably better places to get it). It can be used as a creme rinse or spray-on conditioner. Put it on just a small area first and see how he and his skin react. Seemed to help Batman when he had the flakies, seems to make Joseph itchier.

ETA: Doesn't make the dog greasy or leave spots on anything. Pleasant scent.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Humidifier!

Amber, I'm finding that the more George wears his jammies, the flakier his skin gets???? Maybe the friction? If I have them on him for a few days, he's like a polar bear underneath!!!

Since it's not painful or harmful, I'm trying not to let it bother me...if you find a good topical remedy, please share, because even with Grizzly oil in his food, George is dry as a bone!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Yeah, the coconut oil is probably not your best solution for all over.

I've seen the same thing with the jammies and dandruff. Maybe it just doesn't fall off??

Grooming/brushing does seem like a good (partial?) solution, plus he'll loooooove you for it! :wub:

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

Guest SoulsMom
HyLyt EFA Bath Oil / Conditioner might be worth a try: http://www.dogcatetc.com/013dvm10-8.html (there's probably better places to get it). It can be used as a creme rinse or spray-on conditioner. Put it on just a small area first and see how he and his skin react. Seemed to help Batman when he had the flakies, seems to make Joseph itchier.

Thanks! I ordered it. Less expensive than the others, so I figure if it doesn't work not *too* much of a loss.

Susan, I'll let you know how it goes. I don't mind the dry skin too much either, but it really comes out when he works meet and greets, so I'm trying to get him more . . . "presentable" :rolleyes:

We sleep with a humidifier at night, don't know if also running one downstairs for a few hours evenings would be much more help?

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll try brushing him more, but honestly there's not much to brush :lol:blush

Guest WhenIGiveIn

while regular bathing will dry him out a good bath in oatmean shampoo with a good coniditon follow up will help tremendously. Warm the conditioner a big with either hot water if its thick or in the microwave so its WARM not HOT. Put it on him and cover his back with a garbage bag and let it sit for 15 minutes or so. Rinse and dry him off. If he danders a lot just for things like Meet and Greets, get a spray bottle and mix 50/50 listerine and water. Mist him with that before you go and it calms the skin and prevents flaking. The reason dogs dander in those type of situations is nerves/excitment. The listering just neutralizes the skin and stops the dander.

Guest ArtysPeople

We used EarthBath between bath spritz. Works really well, but we didn't like the scent. I picked up a new, similar product last time we were at Planet Dog that smells much better: Buddy Splash. It's all natural and the only scents it contains are lavender and mint. Takes care of the flakies with moisturizers, and Arty smells awesome afterwards. Plus the massage gives us bonding time. :wub:

Edited by ArtysPeople

Guest SoulsMom
We used EarthBath between bath spritz. Works really well, but we didn't like the scent. I picked up a new, similar product last time we were at Planet Dog that smells much better: Buddy Splash. It's all natural and the only scents it contains are lavender and mint. Takes care of the flakies with moisturizers, and Arty smells awesome afterwards. Plus the massage gives us bonding time. :wub:

The girl who runs the salon at Petco has something that smell likes this and when she comes out to give him a "spa treatment" he just about melts into her :wub:

The reason dogs dander in those type of situations is nerves/excitment. The listering just neutralizes the skin and stops the dander.

I disagree, it happens at home too. Just more so at the meet and greets because he's being petted almost constantly for four hours and this really brings the flakes out. That and this doesn't happen in the summer when we're working.

Edited by SoulsMom

Guest ArtysPeople

The girl who runs the salon at Petco has something that smell likes this and when she comes out to give him a "spa treatment" he just about melts into her :wub:

Aww! That's what dbf calls it when I pull out the spray -- the "Spa Treatment". Arty gets his teeth brushed, then his face washed, and then the moisturizer. By the end he's sacked out on his bed and literally groaning with happiness. I have a pretty prissy dog. :lol

this may sound crazy...we used to have an African Grey parrot and I had a conditioner spray to put on his feathers (he made a lot of dander or whatever birds give off) anyway, it was all natural, non-toxic (since birds preen themselves). It works like magic on my dogs! I spray it on, rub it in and smooth them down. Their coats look greyt and dandruff is kept to a minimum. Only problem, I through out the bottle and can't remember the name. I am sure it is available in any pet store in the bird dept.

Thanks! I ordered it. Less expensive than the others, so I figure if it doesn't work not *too* much of a loss.

Susan, I'll let you know how it goes. I don't mind the dry skin too much either, but it really comes out when he works meet and greets, so I'm trying to get him more . . . "presentable" :rolleyes:

We sleep with a humidifier at night, don't know if also running one downstairs for a few hours evenings would be much more help?

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll try brushing him more, but honestly there's not much to brush :lol:blush

PLEASE let me know how it works. Flashy is SO dry and I know that his thyroid issues add to the problem. He has been on 3-V caps forever...daily brushing...he is just so dry!

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest SoulsMom

PLEASE let me know how it works. Flashy is SO dry and I know that his thyroid issues add to the problem. He has been on 3-V caps forever...daily brushing...he is just so dry!

I will! It is supposed to ship on Monday, then I'll report back here.

Do you have Petco nearby? When Soul is working meet and greets the groomer will come out to give him his spa treatment (nails clipped). She recently got a new spray that she uses on Soul and it really clears up the flakies for a few days. And he smells wonderful! But from what I gathered from her, it's a product only available to the grooming trade. I've considered bribing her for some :lol

I used Neem spray on Dessie when she first came home. I bought it at a local health food store.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Guest chestersmom

This winter has been awful for our grey too. I just purchased something called, Miracle Coat, a leave-in conditioner spray. After bathing him with an oatmeal shampoo, we spray this leave-in conditioner on his dry, flakey areas. Once it drys, we brush his coat. I've only used it once this winter. It works so well. I purchased it from a nearby Agway store. It's fast and easy. Good Luck!

I'm glad to know we're not the only ones with this problem. Rocket gets his salmon oil every day, and brushed, and humidified, but now we've got the white flakies going on. I've been using a little vitamin E oil (rubbed first on my hands and then on his belly) but it's not quite cutting it. When he first arrived, Rocket's coat was so soft. It keeps getting coarser as it dries out. Hopefully one of these sprays will help that too.

Edited by MyCutie

Our kids all had dry skin from the heat being on in the house so I bathed them all last week with Avoderm Oatmeal shampoo and now they all have

beautiful glossy healthy coats again!