Why Oh Why Am I Such A Moron?

I'm SO angry at myself. :angryfire If I could punch myself in the head right now, I would.

As some of you know, Merlin had really bad stomach issues recently. We tried so many different things, the chicken I gave him made him worse and the vet and I think he may actually be slightly allergic to chicken. We did boiled beef and rice, meds, etc for ages and now he is on different food and also gets a daily probiotic in his food. He has been better for some time now, his poops are good.

Fast forward several weeks. Sagan has had diarrhea for a couple of days. Last night I spent an hour making lots of chicken and rice for him for the next few meals. This morning like an IDIOT I gave Sagan Merlin's food with the probiotic in it and I gave Merlin Sagan's chicken and rice!! GREAT!!!! GOOD JOB YOU MORON!! Reeaaaaallly clever, that.

I noticed half-way through their meal and switched them back, but basically Merlin got chicken which he may be allergic to, and NO probiotic, and Sagan who already has bad diarrhea will now have even worse diarrhea! I hope they're going to be alright :( :(

Someone please kick me. Hard. What the hell is WRONG with me? Why do I never pay attention?? :headwall :headwall :headwall

Edited by merlinsmum

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Guest SoulsMom

Oh Kerry, please don't be too hard on yourself, it could happen to anyone. I was just thinking this morning that I'm so half awake in the mornings that I'm on autopilot and not paying enough attention. You're SO not alone.

So, what's the worst that can happen? They both have big D today while your gone? If so, what's a little poop amongst loved ones . . . if they each only got half of the wrong meal maybe it won't be so bad :(

But I know, if I accidently gave Soul Archie's food I'd be freaking out and would probably call in sick to work :blush

Edited by SoulsMom

Give them some metamucil wafers (2 each) and try to stave off the big D :)

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Thanks... I'm not worried about them pooping in the house -- I mean, sure, it could happen, but I don't really care. What I worry about is if Sagan's stomach starts to really hurt, or Merlin's starts to hurt, because of me. I just get so frustrated when I make mistakes, especially when it relates to the dogs, and especially when I was trying to make Sagan better and went and made him worse... :(

Maybe I am being neurotic. :rolleyes: But I don't think so. Which I guess makes me truly neurotic because my neurotic behavior is normal to me... :huh

Ok, enough of that :youcrazy:P

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

The probiotic is hardly an issue -- just give it to Merlin at his next feeding. It's not like it takes effect or wears off so rapidly. And it probably is good for Sagan if anything. We're talking a nutritional supplement here, not prescription drugs! :)

I'm a worrier too, so I do get your concern, but I can't imagine half a portion of the wrong food will really make a big difference.

Edited by PrairieProf

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Kerry, you crack me up. I just can not grasp using the word moron in association with you!

I understand your worry, but if I admitted the number of times I've done that with medication in the food, I would be called unfit :lol

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest gr8greys

Ellie had bad stomach issues last week which had her at the ER and two days at her vet. Well my dear husband, who is flaky at the best of times when it comes to our dogs, gave Ellie her normal diet one morning instead of her bland one. Well I couldn't stop worrying the entire day thinking she'd have a relapse but guess what? She was fine! It was just one meal and she'd been able to cope with it.

I understand your concern but I truly think all will be okay. Keep us posted...

Irene

Guest caiteag

They are going to be alright. Be gentle with yourself.. mistakes happen and this is a mistake that isn't going to do any real harm in the long run.

:grouphug :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

Guest zoolaine

I just did that two days ago. Put down Zali's bowl of food for Sunny, who happily gobbled it up. It was a big D'oh!!!!!!! moment, especially since Sunny's bowl is bright yellow and about half the size of Zali's.

Guest RooCroo

:kickbutt

OK, consider yourself kicked.

Seriously, though, it's an honest mistake, and we all make them. A mistake doesn't make you a moron! Chances are nothing bad will happen, but I'm sending good thoughts for a D-free day just in case.

:grouphug

Don't be so hard on yourself. We all have moments when our autopilot goes on the fritz.

I don't think the probiotic or special food will do Sagan any harm at all.

You can use this accident to get some good hard experiential confirmation about whether Merlin is allergic to chicken or not. You certainly wouldn't have intentionally fed it to him, but this is a great opportunity to prove or disprove the hypothesis that he is mildly allergic to chicken. If he is, eating a bit of it won't do him any lasting harm, and you and your vet will have solid confirmation of his allergy. If it doesn't give him any problems, well that is important information to have as well.

I do understand the desire to give ones self a good swift kick. I cannot believe I did this. One is a 75 pound greyhound and one is a 20 pound spaniel but I actually gave Piper's ball of food with his epilepsy meds to Winston and handed Piper Winston's "empty" ball of food! :blink::kickbutt A frantic call to the e-vet reassured me that Winston would be drowsy but fine. Be as kind to yourself as you'd be to someone else.

--Lucy

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

Guest greyt2love

Oh, Kerry, go easy on yourself! You're not a moron, you're human. When you find one of us that doesn't make a mistake now and then, let me know . I want to meet them !! I don't think it will hurt either one of the boys. It's only one meal. I second the metamucil wafers. Caesar gets a fiber capsule in the morning and a wafer every night. He loves them and it has cut down on his big D problem tremendously !

Oh, for the want of a "Do-over"! Relax. Everything will be fine.

Be as kind to yourself as you'd be to someone else.
No truer words have been spoken.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Now that everyone has lightened the mood a bit, I just wanted to point out that there's really no reason you COULDN'T punch yourself in the head if you wanted.... :P

Really though, I'm sure they'll be fine, and don't be so hard on yourself! Everyone makes mistakes, and at least yours weren't the disasterous kind!

Guest IrskasMom

Kerry now,now,now ..... don't be so hard on yourself . Everybody makes mistakes and I am certainly no Exception.

The Furkids will be allright :grouphug:grouphug:grouphug:grouphug

They'll both be fine! Really! As someone pointed out, it wasn't a high powered prescription. (Like the time I gave Dude Libby's phenobarbital! He was one sleepy Dude for about 24 hours!)

Here's hoping they had a good day anyway!

greysmom :D

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

:grouphug Everything will be just fine...I just know it! :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Thanks so much everyone :blush You're so nice. Ok, so I got over it eventually, it took a while, luckily I had a super busy day at work so I didn't have too much time to dwell on it. At lunchtime Merlin pooped and it was good. He's been in high spirits all day, nothing out of the ordinary, but of course it may not have made it through his system yet. The last time someone (NOT me :angry:) forgot to give Merlin his probiotic he had loose stools for a day.

Sagan pooped this afternoon and it actually didn't seem as bad as this morning :colgate Tomorrow morning will be the big test, I think, but I'm calmer now. I am so pleased to hear that I am not the only one who has made mistakes with food and medication, supplements, etc!

Sorry about the hystrionics this morning... :blush:rolleyes::violin I was pretty upset at myself. I guess I will probably never get the meals switched again after this!

Guest LindsaySF
They'll both be fine! Really! As someone pointed out, it wasn't a high powered prescription.

What she said. :nod

They will be fine. Don't be so hard on yourself. ;)

Guest lynne893

i get upset with myself for things like that sometimes, too, but you're being awfully hard on yourself!

forgive yourself and it'll be a lot easier to cope with. sometimes i ask myself, "will this matter 6 months from now? even one month from now?" if the answer is "absolutely not" then i don't sweat it.n

Sorry about the hystrionics this morning... :blush:rolleyes::violin I was pretty upset at myself. I guess I will probably never get the meals switched again after this!

Ah, Grasshopper! Learning from ones mistakes is the sign of a true master! :ph34r:yinyang:grad

greysmom :D

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly