Tylenol?

Guest ss556

Alan has been limping for a few days and after a walk yesterday, he's worse (I want to kick myself for taking on that walk). Spoke to my vet a few minutes ago and he said no NSAID for Alan b/c of the kidney disease (PLN or GN) not even for a few days, he doesn't feel it's worth the risk. He said 325 mg. tylenol 2-3x day. I read here that tylenol is a no-no. Of course I will take Alan in if he doesn't get better. I give him a little bit of tramadol at night b/c it makes him loopy and I won't give it to him during the day when I'm not home.

Um. Well. If your vet really meant Tylenol, I would be looking for another vet.

Tylenol is an NSAID, is contraindicated in kidney and liver disease as well as stomach disorders, and is somewhat toxic to dogs.

Hoping your vet meant Tramadol instead .........

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

No, he meant Tylenol. I questioned him about this and said it's ok for dogs and can be given with Tramadol. Gut feeling - won't give it - will just give the tramadol after I get home from work. Hopefully his limp will go away and I won't have to deal with this.

Guest EmilyAnne

I think you are wise to trust your gut feeling.

My husband has terrible arthritis and he has found ice to help quite a bit. Is Alan's arthritis in any specific area?

Has anybody else had success with icing arthritis in their grey and/or know if this is an idea vets have reccomended?

What my DH does is he bundles up under lots of blankets so it doesn't make him cold, and then puts the ice on the area most hurting for at least 25 minutes. Also keeping the house warm and limiting outside time helps. Just trying to think of non medicated ways that may help Alan since Alan can't have NSAID's. Thank goodness for Tramadol!

Edited by EmilyAnne

Scroll down to Acetaminophen (Tylenol): http://www.avma.org/careforanimals/animate.../poisoninfo.asp

1995 report on a dog with Acetaminophen toxicity following a single dose: http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/pagerende...amp;pageindex=1

I didn't include "popular press" links but just a couple medical ones. Really not a small matter. Still can't believe the vet would recommend giving it to your dog.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Thanks Batmom, I'm sick over this. Just praying the limp gets better & goes away so I don't have to deal with this. But no, I'm not giving him tylenol. Gut feeling wins as well as the advice here.

Guest greytexplorer

RE: ice

We have found that the best way to ice is to use a bag of frozen peas.

It is soooo much more comfortable.

15 minutes every hour is best, but do what you can for Alan. :kiss2

Sadly, I think I would have to find another vet :(

I give him 25 mg b/c he gets loopy, pants, salivates on more than that. At 25 mg., even though he is a big dog, he relaxes, lays down and usually sleeps.

I'm a little surprised that the vet would not give him a NSAID, but then he's the one who is familiar with Alan's history.

I've had 3 Greys with kidney disease, including Misty, and 2 were put on a NSAID because of an injury and my vet said that short term, 5-8 days will not hurt them

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Wouldn't trust that vet. Tylenol-no way.

May I suggust yucca? Goldie had an awful bone chip from racing that was very painful-caused bad tramatic arthritis. I gave him Solid Gold yucca twice a day and it REALLY helped. It is cheap and I've never heard of it hurting man or beast so you might consider trying it. I do know that its purity is critical. I doubt if drug store yucca will help. The Solid Gold yucca is made from "an old Indian receipe" and really made all the difference to Goldie. Now it is VERY bitter and he probably won't eat it at all if you just put it in the food. With Goldie I used to mix it up with a tablespoon or 2 of honey and pour it in his mouth just before giving him his regular food. The honey was sticky enough etc. that he got it that way. Their web site is www.solidgoldhealth.com

Hope this helps. :)

PS-Alan is very lucky to have a Mom like you that will stand up for him and check things out. If we don't speak up for them there is no one else who will and they can't.

PPS-Don't know if it is too strong for kidney dogs or not. Ask Solid Gold-they're pretty savvy about things.

Edited by racindog

So glad you did not give the tylenol. How is Alan doing this evening? :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Just to clarify folks--Tylenol is not a NSAID (it's an antipyrectic). I have seen it used in dogs that are extremely painful in the form of Tylenol/codine. I do believe your vet is correct in not wanting to use a NSAID drug with kidney disease. Is the limping from bone pain?? If so you may want to try Gabepentin.

Edited at add----never, ever give Tylenol to cats

Edited by tbhounds

How is Alan doing today? Sending prayers.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Just to clarify folks--Tylenol is not a NSAID (it's an antipyrectic).

You're right, I stand corrected.

I have heard of it being used in dogs, too, in low doses and exceptional cases ... but it seems a particularly bad choice for a dog with OP's health issues.

He was better when I got home from work and took him for a very short walk so he could do his business. Now, he's limping more than before. I gave him 1/2 tramadol and he's sleeping. This is what 1/2 of a tramadol does to him and giving him a whole one makes him uncomfortable. I believe the whole one is 50 mgs. I did ask a co-worker to ask her husband who is a vet about tylenol and he's not comfortable giving it to dogs. Another vet said tylenol/codeine is used for dogs with really severe pain. Sooo, I played it safe and just gave him the tramadol. I just hope he stops limping. Maybe tomorrow will be a better day for him.

Guest EmilyAnne

It's a vicious cycle. Arthritis causes pain, which causes inflamation, which causes more arthritis. I would find a new vet asap, and ask him/her about possibly doing just a few days of NSAIDS to break the cycle of inflamation? Icing also will help with inflammation.

He was better when I got home from work and took him for a very short walk so he could do his business. Now, he's limping more than before. I gave him 1/2 tramadol and he's sleeping. This is what 1/2 of a tramadol does to him and giving him a whole one makes him uncomfortable. I believe the whole one is 50 mgs. I did ask a co-worker to ask her husband who is a vet about tylenol and he's not comfortable giving it to dogs. Another vet said tylenol/codeine is used for dogs with really severe pain. Sooo, I played it safe and just gave him the tramadol. I just hope he stops limping. Maybe tomorrow will be a better day for him.

I'm glad he's resting now. The tylenol/codeine that Stack writes about using, I think is a different dosing than just hiving tylenol out of a bottle.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest rubysdad

I'm glad he's resting now. The tylenol/codeine that Stack writes about using, I think is a different dosing than just hiving tylenol out of a bottle.

We have given all our asprin.