Isis Is Limping And Crying

So about a week ago Isis had a very slight limp and then it went away so I thought nothing of it. Then today we went to play group and she was side swiped by another and she let out the GSOD. She cried for a bit but then seemed better. I ran my hand up and down her leg and thought maybe it was just a bit dramatic... However, once we got home she was limping so bad that I had to carry her up the stairs as she wasn't putting any weight on her leg. It is her right front leg. When I touch the top part of her leg she cries and just looks so sad. An hour ago she was trying to lay down on her bed and she was on her right side and then screamed out.

I am going to take her into the vet tomorrow... I really am not asking any thing, I guess I am just wanting to vent or maybe, possibly hoping that it is nothing. Isis is 8 and is my heart dog. She is the reason I am even here. I just love her so much and am so scared of what could be happening to her.

Any way... here is a recent photo of her... She is the most beautiful girl...

020-1.jpg

GreyPlay12-28-08003.jpg

I love this picture because it just shows who she is. She is my "bombproof" dog. She lets everyone pet her.

Edited by kamsmom

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If she were one of mine, I'd want her seen tonight .....

Hope it's just a bad bruise.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

OK, so now I feel totally guilty... I wasn't thinking of going to the Evet because she only cries if she lays on it or if I touch it. For the last 2 hours she has slept with her head in my lap while I pet her neck... do you still think I should go tonight?

I know e-vets are expensive but, if it were me I would go now. I think the thing that scares me the most is that she was limping about a week ago and it got worse after the leg was banged. Fearing the "C" word in the back of my mind (really hoping it's not!!!!!) At least they can dispense medications to get her more comfortable. I'll be thinking of you both tonight.

Oh wanted to add that I think she's just beautiful!

Edited by tbhounds

It's not life threatening, she won't croak before you can get her to the vet in the morning.

Whatever is wrong with it tonight will still be wrong in the morning.

As long as you can keep her quiet tonight, I'd wait until morning.

Worst case, even if it is cancer, finding it tonight instead of the morning won't help you out.

So this will probably not be what most would do but she is not in crisis. In fact she is laying her right beside me with her head and her legs in my lap. I am having to type with my arms on top of her head. If for some reason she seems to get worse or if she acts different than I will take her in. However, my vet is very close and a friend. She will get the best care and I won't be neglecting her. She has eaten, in fact stole some chicken off my plate earlier. I am about to get up and let everyone out one last time. I will carry her and watch her in the yard.

She doesn't sound like she's in distress. I would - and have - done exactly what you are doing. Holding dear Isis and you close in my thoughts until you have a diagnosis, and hoping for a positive one. :grouphug

Kate, with Nedra and Holly
Missing Greyhound Angels Mango, Takoda, Ruger, Delta, and Shiloh, kitty Angel Hoot, cat-tester extraordinaire, and Rocky, the stray cat who came to stay for a little while and then moved on.
Greyhounds Unlimited

I just took her outside. She sorta uses the leg like a "peg leg". That's the best that I can describe it. I didn't let her attempt the stairs, I just carried her and then let her down once we got down stairs. She walked herself out and did her business then came in and got up on her little love seat downstairs that she sleeps on. The only cry was when I sat beside her and ran my hand over the muscle of her shoulder. It doesn't look swollen or bruised at this point. But I did have a rimadyl pain pill from some other time and I gave that to her for the evening. I will let you all know what comes of the visit in the morning. Thanks.

Guest MnMDogs

We went through something similar with Matty back in Feb and it was arthritis - I hope that it's nothing more for your girl.

For what it's worth, I'd also wait till morning based on what you're describing.

Beautiful, beautiful girl! I, too, would have let her sleep with her head on my lap, especially since you found a Rimadyl to keep her more comfortable. And good girl Isis, for swiping mom's chicken! (well, in a manner of speaking)

Will be keeping you both in my heart and my thoughts today, and hoping all is well.

gallery_13500_3426_13848.jpg

Guest argolola

You are doing what's best for her. You know her best. I always feel better to get mine to their own vet, who knows them and their history (and I also know there is a time and place for e-vet.) I'm sure she's more comfortable snuggling with you all night. She will be in my prayers.

Sending prayers for a good outcome today. Please send an update when you are able.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

She is absolutely a beautiful girl and seems sweet as well. I hope all works out well today at the vet appointment.

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

Sending good thoughts for your girl.

Melanie and Eric with Leminim and Eieio and silly kitty Elsa.
See you again someday, my sweet Payton (Flying Payton May 9, 2000-March 18, 2012)
Missing my sweet JJ, world's sweetest cat (April 1997-November 30, 2015)

Stealing food in heaven, my darling Minnie (2006-April 21, 2016)
Reunited with her favorite person in heaven, my Dad, Satin the skittish kitty (2002-May 7, 2016)

Sending good thoughts for Isis....

I usually try to have some rimadyl on hand for such occasions where there is no reason to run to the evet but it can give them some comfort. Cody wiped out in the yard last week and came in holding up a leg. I happened to have some rimadyl and he was fine the next day. Hope Iris is feeling better.

gallery_4518_2903_10272.jpg
Donna and...Lucy and Chubb
Rascal H 10/1/91-5/22/04 My best friend and Bounty Boon 1/23/99-6/25/07 My boy with the biggest heart
Cody 7/28/99-8/1/13 My boy that always made me laugh and Dylan 5/12/04-12/29/2017 The sweetest boy ever

Miss Mollie 1/1/99-1/30/15 and Pixie :heart:heart-10/10/2017 Lincoln :heart-2/14/2021