Hemangiosarcoma

Beth has not been herself for a few days. She spends her days and her nights stretched out on our bed. The last four nights she has slept on the floor. She keeps coming to me and just looking at me with sad brown eyes as if to say, "Please, help me." Yesterday I noticed that her breathing seemed labored. Took her to the vet yesterday and he took an x-ray. Her lungs were full of fluid and she had a temperature. Ultrasound today revealed numerous tumors and the fluid aspirated was bloody. He's thinking hemangiosarcoma. We should have further lab reports tomorrow or Saturday. Anyone have any info to share? I basically know nothing about this except the prognosis is not good. Going to vomit now.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I lost my Brindle to hemangio. I cannot offer anything positive or hopeful if this is what she has.

I'm so sorry.

Basically, if you catch hemangio before the first tumor bursts, there is a high success rate. Problem is, there are no symptoms at that stage. You find tumors only by accident.

Once it bursts, then all the internal organs are covered with cancer cells. My girl seemed fine in the morning, but there was a suspicious spot on her skin I wanted removed. They called late that day saying she wasn't waking up from that minor surgery and that it looked like she was bleeding internally. I picked her up, and rushed to U of Penn. She went into emergency surgery at 1 AM. They came down to me and said that she was loaded with cancer and that there was no way to stop all the bleeding. THey put her to sleep.

The spleen, liver and mesenteric cavity were all loaded with tumors.

Once again. I'm very very sorry and I hope someone else can give you better news or that it's not hemangio.

Brindle was 8.

Major hugs for you and Beth. My thoughts are with you. We lost my darling Catwalk to hemangiosarcoma. So sudden and so sad.

I sincerely hope it is not hemangiosarcoma but something much more benign. It still could be.

Good thoughts coming from here.

Gillian
Caesar (Black Caesarfire) and Olly (Oregon) the Galgo

Still missing: Nell (spaniel mix) 1982-1997, Boudicca (JRT) 1986- 2004, and the greys P's Catwalk 2001-2008, Murphy Peabody (we failed fostering) 1998-2010 and Pilgrim (Blazing Leia) 2003-2016,

Sending my prayers and white light. :grouphug Our Angel Cody Angelo had fluid in his lungs and whole chest cavity. His left lung collapsed. His was NOT Hemangio. Sending prayers that your sweet baby has something else that can be treated. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Beth has not been herself for a few days. She spends her days and her nights stretched out on our bed. The last four nights she has slept on the floor. She keeps coming to me and just looking at me with sad brown eyes as if to say, "Please, help me." Yesterday I noticed that her breathing seemed labored. Took her to the vet yesterday and he took an x-ray. Her lungs were full of fluid and she had a temperature. Ultrasound today revealed numerous tumors and the fluid aspirated was bloody. He's thinking hemangiosarcoma. We should have further lab reports tomorrow or Saturday. Anyone have any info to share? I basically know nothing about this except the prognosis is not good. Going to vomit now.

It took my Rex and it took him fast. The tumors in the lungs had started to burst and he was having trouble breathing. That's how we discovered it. To thiis day I do not know where the main tumor was, but since it was not in his heart. I'm thinking it was in the spleen/liver area.

As MP already shared, it's a grim diagnosis.

So sorry if this is what your sweet Beth has.

vr2a.jpg
Tonya, mom to May, and my angels Vinnie, Rex, Red, Chase, and Jake.

Sending prayers for your girl.

We lost our Beatrice to hemangiosarcoma--I loathe that word. One day I had a happy, healthy, silly 12 year old, and two days later we had to help her to the bridge.

:grouphug

Laurie

**& Angels Emily, Beatrice, Okie, Rhemus ,Vixen, and Rose-always in my heart**

I'm so sorry to hear about Beth. I lost my Abbey boy to hemangio 2 weeks ago, but it showed up first as a bone tumor and a couple weeks later as dermal lesions. I don't know if it was in his organs (it hits the spleen and heart first from the research I have done). It's likely the leg tumor was secondary. The worry is that the tumors in the spleen/heart burst. Ultrasound or MRI will be able to determine if the tumors are elsewhere. Good thoughts headed your way and lots of hugs to you and Beth.

paula

Guest jurishound

I am so sorry to hear this. My beloved Stormy was diagnosed with right atrial hemangiosarcoma on November 11. First and foremost, take one day at a time. Wait for the lab reports and a confirmed diagnosis. There is no cure for hemangio, but treatments are available if it is diagnosed early enough. The good news is that it is typically not a painful cancer, which is why it is usually and unfortunately diagnosed in the later stages. The cancer had metastasized to Stormy's lungs when we discovered it and we tried a course of doxorubicin, but it caused him to be sick for a week and didn't help. In retrospect, I wish we had just spent that week spoiling him. If it is hemangio, I believe your time is best spent by bringing her to special places, giving her favorite foods, and lots and lots of love. Stormy had a whole lot of car rides, walks and ice cream in his final weeks. Sending you both good wishes for the best possible outcome. :grouphug

Edited by jurishound

Guest StarsMama

Our Springer just stopped eating one day, he was 7. I thought he was just being picky. We took him in. The vet said he was very anemic, and needed x-rays and a ultrasound. He was diagnosed with hemangio. They said the best chance he had was to have his spleen removed. Although, that came with little guarantee.--If the tumor was to be touching any other organs, there would be a risk of the cancer spreading to those as well. Milo had surgery to remove his spleen, but when they went to remove it they found the tumor was a lot larger then they first thought. He passed away shortly there after.

Sending good thoughts your way, I'm so sorry.

I'm so sorry. Hemangio is a horrible disease. I empathize with you. It took our Cullen in only a couple of months and there wasn't any real way to help him. That's an awful feeling to have.

Maybe someone will do serious research soon on how to beat this awful cancer. Let's hope.

Marcia

I lost Wanda in '06 to hemangio, she lived almost 9 months from the initial diagnosis. Her cancer was in her liver and spleen and her lungs were spared. Enjoy every second and each day is a gift.

Denise & Strider, Blake, Fields, Frank, FlippyDoo, and Momma Gail.

The Bridge Angels Zack(Ags Marble Chip) 4/25/93-2/16/06, Wanda(Rainier Rowanda) 12/14/94-06/09/06, Brooke/Boogers(Rainier Restive) 01/01/99-10/20/08, Warlock(Rainier Rammer) 4/29/99-10/01/09), Patsie(Frisky Patsy) 5/17/96-2/05/10, Hatter(Cals Madhatter) 6/3/00-3/11/10, Dodger(Rainier Ransack) 4/29/99-4/16/10, and Sparkle(Okie Sparkle) 11/8/2000-1/28/11

Guest VelvetEars

Unfortunately, it seems to be a terminal diagnosis.

We believe this is what killed our Porsche, as she got very sick very fast and was bleeding from her nose when my DH got her to the vet. (They said she was not going to live more than a few hours, at best.)

Guest GeneJockey

My heart is breaking for you. We have been through this, and it's tough. We lost our Golden Retriever to Hemangiosarcoma in June.

IIRC, it is essentially a cancer of the blood vessel lining. That means it spreads easily, and makes heavily vascularized tumors. It tends not to be diagnosed until it has already extensively metastasized. It mets to organs like the liver and spleen, then the tumors rupture and bleed internally. That's what happened to Rhyo. In his case, the internal bleeding wasn't stopping, and he had big mets in his liver and spleen.

One friend's dog lived 6 months post surgery for a rupture. Another friend's dog was diagnosed during an ultrasound performed to look for "something else". The spleen was removed and she's doing fine 7 months later with no further treatment. "H" is a thief that steals our best friends. Sending hugs and prayers.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

First, I am sorry to hear the inital diagnosis. Like others have said, this is a terminal illness and depending on when you catch it, it may or may not be operable (could buy you more time). I lost Chester (GSP) within hours after he couldn't get comfortable sleeping one night. If this is definitely what Beth has, spoil her rotten as time is not typically on your side. I am sorry...

Edited by Charlies_Dad

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

No advice just :candle:candle prayers for you and Beth

Deb, and da Croo
In my heart always, my Bridge Angels - Macavity, Tila the wannabe, Dexter, CDN Cold Snap (Candy), PC Herode Boy, WZ Moody, Poco Zinny, EM's Scully, Lonsome Billy, Lucas, Hurry Hannah, Daisy (Apache Blitz), Sadie (Kickapoo Kara), USS Maxi, Sam's Attaboy, Crystal Souza, Gifted Suzy, Zena, and Jetlag who never made it home.

http://www.northernskygreyhounds.com

Guest jurishound

Hello Dustysmom - It must be horrible to hear all of these grim reports - I am so sorry. I sincerely hope that this is not hemangio, but if it is, the important lesson that I learned is to take each day as it comes. When Stormy was diagnosed, the vet recommended that we euthanize him within a day or two; instead, we elected to wait and had a little more than three more weeks with him. Aside from the chemo week, he was pampered and spoiled, and even got to celebrate his 11th birthday surrounded by his family. When his breathing became very labored and he was obviously very tired, we let him go. Thankfully, these wonderful hounds live in the moment and are blissfully unaware of what lies ahead. Blessings to you and your lovely Beth.

We don't have a definite confirmation yet but all the signs seem to be there. I would guess she is pretty far advanced. She's lost weight suddenly (really has no interest in eating; not even treats), the fluid in her chest was full of blood, her breathing is pretty labored and she just looks pathetically sad. Every time she looks at me with those eyes it makes me cry. I can't believe that on Tuesday I thought I had a perfectly healthy dog except for the fact that she suddenly stayed off our bed, on Wednesday she seemed to be heaving trouble breathing and an x-ray revealed lots of fluid in the chest, Thursday brought an ultrasound with "multiple tumors" and here we are on Friday waiting for a confirmation of certain death. Thanks for all the replies. It helps knowing you are out there and you understand.

I am so sorry you're going through this. I lost Dear to this type cancer a year ago this month. Its a horrible disease. He suddenly lost weight, became depressed. The fluid asperated from his abdomend was bloody with pus, no cancer cells. We did surgery & took out all of the tumor (4 lbs) and by the end of the week he was diagnosed with hermangio sarcoma. He had 2 good weeks post op, and then a week later it was in his lungs. He crossed the bridge on January 4th.

It is a malignant type cancer and even with surgery & chemo, the dog usually doesn't live more than about 6 months if that much.

Go to Google or Yahoo & just type in the word hermangio sarcoma, there is plenty of information out there about it, just no cure.

I will pray for you to have strength through this terrible time.