Ned Had X-rays Today

Bevd

I didn't want to do a post saying that he was having x rays because....well, you know.

He's had a limp for a few weeks but only after doing lots of exercise (which he does often, because he's ten months old).

He saw the locum vet on 31st Dec and she wasn't overly concerned but I said I wanted x rays done but would wait until our normal vet was back from holidays as she has a special interest in orthopedics.

So today was the day and I really did think they would say he has hip displacia (but was also terrified that they might say something 'else').

As it happens, his hips are perfect and all the way down his legs looks fine (we had filsm done of all parts of both back legs - not that we are overly hysterical about legs....or anything :blush )

On about 23rd Dec, Ned fell over. He'd been running at speed and slipped so we can now assume, given clean xrays, that he has a soft tissue or ligament injury.

He's on a course of Rymadil and get this - at least one week of no off lead exercise :eek OMG. Doesn't even bear thinking about :lol (Ned is a lurcher with excellent recall and he goes off lead in good safe areas as is the norm in the UK).

I know nothing about this type of injury so anyone with any experience, please speak up :)

But a great big yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy for clean x rays :colgate

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

What a relief for you - clean X-rays. Fiona had a soft tissue injury to her rear leg about a year ago from running in the yard and twisting too suddenly into a turn. She limped and favored the leg and when x-rayed it was clear (I can tell you we were worried as well until we got those results). She needed several weeks to heal, only going outside to potty on a leash, no walks. Metacam was given for 7 days to reduce inflammation. She fully recovered and I haven't seen that limp in over a year. But those were a few long weeks with a great many stink-eyed looks from Fio as we tried very hard to keep her quiet.

Hugs to your cute Ned - I hope he is feeling better soon.

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

That's interesting ... we've been going through something similar here with Sunny for the last few weeks ... intermittent lameness after running or larking around, except that in our case it's a front leg. Like you, we've been very worried about what it might be. Our vet couldn't find any obvious cause so we took Sunny to see a greyhound vet yesterday. He managed to find a painful area in Sunny's neck which he says is causing the intermittent lameness. He called it a "spinal mechanical fault" involving "facet joint subluxation" and says he has only ever seen it in greyhounds. The interesting thing is that he said it is often caused by a fall. The initial treatment he prescribed was Valium for muscle relaxation (as Sunny can't have NSAIDs) + no running for 10 days. If that doesn't resolve the problem Sunny will have to go back for xrays and manipulation under sedation.

Don't know if that helps at all, but it sounds a bit similar to what's been happening with Ned - except that Ned's a lurcher and it's a back leg :unsure. I'm sure there are facet joints all along the spine, though, so maybe Ned has injured one further along his back, causing the lameness to be in his back leg?

Anyway, hope Ned feels better soon and good luck with keeping him quiet! We've been trying to keep Sunny quiet for 5 weeks now and he's bouncing off the walls :offwall .

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

What a relief. Way to go Ned.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

OMG - my heart lurched to my feet when I read the title! :eek I am so glad the xrays came back clear. I know it will be hard to keep Ned calm and quiet (like that's going to happen :lol ), especially with Darcy teaching him new tricks, but it is so much better than what could have been. Hope he is back to "normal" in no time at all.

And poor Sunny - hope that the "calm" treatment helps and Sunny is off and playing soon instead of bouncing off the walls.

Sending extra hugs and scritches to both Ned and Sunny.

Yikes! What a relief!

When Alimony had a swollen wrist (I also panicked and had xrays done which ultimately found nothing, so I completely understand), I had to restrict her exercise to leash-only for a few weeks. She is my rrrrrrestless busy-girlie, so it was a bit of a challenge. I found that lots of interactive play sessions indoors with toys helped burn off some energy and tire her out a little anyway. Of course she wasn't a 10 month old puppy...

Good luck! :lol

gallery_4518_2903_2157.jpg
~Aimee, with Flower, Alan, Queenie, & Spodee Odee! And forever in my heart: Tipper, Sissy, Chancy, Marla, Dazzle, Alimony, and Boo. This list is too damned long.

OMG! What a scare! Thank goodness for clean xrays! Oh, I love the smell of clean xrays in the morning!

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Two of the most beautiful words in the English language - clean x-rays! Whoo hoo!!!

Mary Semper Fi, Dad - I miss you. Remembering Carla Benoist, a Greyhound/Pibble's bestest friend, Princess Zoe Brick-Butt, the little IG with the huge impact on hearts around the world - Miz Foxy - Greyhound Trish - Batman, the Roman-nosed Gentleman - Profile, the Handsome Man - Hunky the Hunkalicious - Jeany the Beautiful Lady- Zema, the most beautiful girl in the world - Jessie, the lovable nuisance - and my 3 Greys: my Angie-girl, my Casey-girl, and The Majestic Pippin, running forever in my heart. (I will always love you and miss you,my friends)

• 2 weeks later...

So.....Ned had no off leash exercise for about 9 days (OMG - he nearly drove us nuts :crazy ) along with 100mg of Rimadyl a day and he had a check-up at the vets on Friday and she said he could have some off leash now but not very long to begin with and he should go down to 50mg of Rimadyl. So yesterday he had a nice run.....and then last night he was limping terribly all over again :headwall My vets have a clinic on a Sunday morning so I'm going to give them a call shortly and see what they want me to do next. I have a horrible feeling that Neds exercise is going to be restricted again...

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

Oh dear... :(

You may not remember, but our old Jim had issues with limping on a back leg - I could never work out quite which one he was limping on - and eventually we took him down to Cambridge vet school and the vet there dxd a torn tensor fascia lata, which is a hip abductor. He said it's something he's only seen in greyhounds and it's often missed, and that unless we wanted to try doing the op (only a 50% success rate) he would probably always limp. Jim did it slipping on our kitchen floor and doing the splits.

Ned is a young dog. I bet it is something going on with his soft tissue ... but if it's a major tear somewhere, it can take longer than this to heal. Jim was on restricted exercise for two months, with a gradual return to normal exercise after that.

I know. And yes, he did drive us insane, and no he wasn't as young as Ned. :P

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Oh my. Don't you just hate when that happens? We are 9 months into trying to figure out what is causing Suze to limp in the right rear leg/foot, but everyone was put on Fresh Factors, Longevity and Joint Health about a month ago and the frequency/severity of the limp has decreased significantly. Actually I hadn't thought much about the improvement until I started typing this, but now I am quite impressed! The limp was so bad that she was only using three legs even in the house and now the only time she is limping is when we walk on rough blacktop pavement. Take it for what it's worth - it's just my experience. Time will tell.

Poor Ned! I'm sure this recurrence is going to cramp his style significantly, but it's all for the best. Sending prayers for healing.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

I spoke to the vet and we decided that we should increase the Rimadyl back to 100mg and let him have a little bit of off lead exercise every day. If he's kept confined and not allowed to burn off energy, all he does is leap on and off the furniture and strange and dangerous angles and run round the garden at high speed, cornering and swerving :eek So he's actually better off being allowed some safe, normal exercise rather than demented dangerous self entertainment :rolleyes: (This is why I tend to adopt seniors) :rolleyes:

He'll go to see the vet again for further discussions on Thursday when Striker is scheduled to go in for his microchip.

Oh don't. He had a small liason with that pillow during his week of incarceration. He's not been near it for months but that shows how 'frustrated' he was at his lack of walkies :lol

Guest zoolaine

NED!!!!!!!!! You tell your momma to put up some pictures of you. Zali broke her toe when she was about 4 months old and about drove us all bananas with the. "no running, jumping, or playing" for 4 weeks. Basically no fun at all. Yeah she too did, actually still does, the crazy run around the house and jump on the furniture like she is a maniac! My older dogs just look at her like "???????????". Luckily she hasn't had any further problems with her foot

Luna was limping a while back - had some inflammation high in her shoulder. Even though x-rays don't really show soft tissue, excess swelling should show on them. Good luck and keep us posted. Photos Please!!!!!!