Willie Amputation Picture

Guest greydogluvr

Guest greydogluvr

img440.jpg

Here is a picture of Willie at the Vet office. Sorry such poor quality it is a cell phone picture. Can't wait to get him home!!!! He is continuing to do well. He walks a bit on his own but still needs some support via a sling when he tires.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup. He will be running with the pack so to speak. Just remember, right now he is very drugged and that is a good way to keep him for a while. Keep him on the meds and stay AHEAD of the pain as it's harder to get the pain management under control when it's out of control.

Polli did not come home with a patch of morphine. She was on 100mg of tramadol every 4 hours. 1 100mg deramaxx and antibitoics. she was extremely stressed and aggitated the 1st 3 nights home and I needed to give her valium for that. Once we got past the 1st week, the next set of issues came and passed and after the 3rd week we were really on our way.

Continued prayers for your boy.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

He looks great! And eager to come home. What is that under the blue bandage?

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Guest greydogluvr
He looks great! And eager to come home. What is that under the blue bandage?

The bulb thing is a drain with slight suction. It reduces swelling and fluid build up. It has to be emptied 2-3 times per day. It will be removed when the fluid decreases.

Yup. He will be running with the pack so to speak. Just remember, right now he is very drugged and that is a good way to keep him for a while. Keep him on the meds and stay AHEAD of the pain as it's harder to get the pain management under control when it's out of control.

Polli did not come home with a patch of morphine. She was on 100mg of tramadol every 4 hours. 1 100mg deramaxx and antibitoics. she was extremely stressed and aggitated the 1st 3 nights home and I needed to give her valium for that. Once we got past the 1st week, the next set of issues came and passed and after the 3rd week we were really on our way.

Continued prayers for your boy.

Did they provide you with the Valium or did you have to ask for it? I really do, like you said, want to stay ahead of the pain. I believe he will come home with a pain patch of some sort.

Edited by greydogluvr

Valium- I had some in the house from her thunder phobia but I asked for more and got it. Now, I always have it. For us, that was the worst, her aggiatation and stress. Once she was mellowed out, it was better for all. BTW- it was at that time I seriously wondered what the he77 I did to her. But believe me, seeing her run around this weekend like a the looney tune she is, there is absolutely no doubt that i did the right thing!

Check out her 10th birthday photos in EEG. She had a blast.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Guest Capslock

Hi!

Wow that brings back memories for me too! My second greyhound had a rear leg amputated (bone cancer). His incision took a long time to heal, but once it did he was once again the fastest dog at the dog park and happy as a clam! He learned to do the stairs and jump into the truck again in no time. It's amazing how normal he looked while running! I'm sure Willie will do great, and be back to his old self before you expect!

Max

Guest EmbersDad

i see willie is soaring along at 35000 feet :lol he looks good. ember came home the day after surgery and had no problem hopping up in the car. i was surprised. let the healing begin!

Awwww....sweet handsome boy. Hurry home honey. :wub::grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest greydogluvr

Day 2 Post surgery:

Willie is home. :yay He was a little agitated in the car until he turned himself around so he could stand up and put his head out the window. Then he began whining when we turned onto our street. Once inside he plopped on his bed and has been sleeping ever since. He walks a bit without help but nothing like Ember on her 2nd day post surgery.

I know this is just the beginning and he is on a lot of meds but he appears to be so happy to be home. He is eating like a horse, as well. I just have to hold onto hopes that his healing will continue on a positive road. I will post pictures of him when he is up and about (this may be a while, he is typically asleep, even without meds).

I will keep updating until everyone is tired of hearing about Willie. Thanks for listening and for the prayers.

Valium- I had some in the house from her thunder phobia but I asked for more and got it. Now, I always have it. For us, that was the worst, her aggiatation and stress. Once she was mellowed out, it was better for all. BTW- it was at that time I seriously wondered what the he77 I did to her. But believe me, seeing her run around this weekend like a the looney tune she is, there is absolutely no doubt that i did the right thing!

Check out her 10th birthday photos in EEG. She had a blast.

I am at the What the he77 did I do point. I can't wait to see Polli's birthday pictures. I know she will make me feel better. Happy belated birthday sweet girl. :confetti She and Willie are almost the same age.

He's home :yay:yay You bet he's happy to be home, he's with the ones he loves and the ones that love him. I would imagine it'll be tough for you for awhile, but you're strong Lora, you'll do great. Staying ahead of the pain is a great plan. WELCOME HOME HANDSOME WILLIE. Edited to add: We will never get tired of hearing about Willie

Edited by cbudshome

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Welcome home Willie!! :confetti

Lora - prepare to feel worse in the next day or so (yourself I mean, not Willie). If you are prepared then its not such a shock and you'll know it's perfectly normal. In my case, on day 4 after Darcy's surgery, I phoned the vet to ask some detail or other and ended up bawling my eyes out about how I couldn't cope and how I thought I'd made a massive mistake etc etc. It got better after that, but it was a horrible feeling whilst it lasted.

Darcy sends Willie her very best wishes as he starts the road to recovery. She wants me to tell him (and you) that the fun times WILL be back

darcy261208b.jpg

14 months post amp

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

So glad Willie is home :):yay :yay :yay Sending lots of good thoughts for an uneventful and speedy recovery. :goodluck :goodluck :goodluck :goodluck

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Guest greydogluvr
Welcome home Willie!! :confetti

Lora - prepare to feel worse in the next day or so (yourself I mean, not Willie). If you are prepared then its not such a shock and you'll know it's perfectly normal. In my case, on day 4 after Darcy's surgery, I phoned the vet to ask some detail or other and ended up bawling my eyes out about how I couldn't cope and how I thought I'd made a massive mistake etc etc. It got better after that, but it was a horrible feeling whilst it lasted.

Darcy sends Willie her very best wishes as he starts the road to recovery. She wants me to tell him (and you) that the fun times WILL be back

darcy261208b.jpg

14 months post amp

What a beautiful girl. Today Willie has slept all day. It sort of reminds me of the first day with my babies (human)after they were born. It was so quiet and then the next few days were crazy. I fear this is the calm before the storm. He has a pain patch and will not take any meds until tonight. He has switched beds by himself but has not been outide since we got home. I need to drain his fluid from the bulb but I realy do not want to wake him. He is generally very mellow so I am hoping this calm will continue.

How is he doing? make sure he has enough pain meds at night when everything seems to be worse.

if he stands up and starts to scream, don't panic. Stay calm, rub his ears, tell him you love him and everything will be OK.

That was very unnerving for me when Polli did that in the middle of the night. That's where the valium helped.

Guest greydogluvr
How is he doing? make sure he has enough pain meds at night when everything seems to be worse.

if he stands up and starts to scream, don't panic. Stay calm, rub his ears, tell him you love him and everything will be OK.

That was very unnerving for me when Polli did that in the middle of the night. That's where the valium helped.

The surgeon said that the "yell" might happen. He said it was due to the muscle cramping because it no longer has a "job". I really hope we can stay away from that. Thanks for the tips on what to do if it does happen. He did not tell me that part... and I did not think to ask...

He does have a pain patch that is good until Sunday, with Rimadyl (Sp) on top of that.

Polli did not have a pain patch just the deramaxx. Do you have tramadol for when the patch come off? If not, get it NOW, before the patch comes off.

He will definitely need it. 100mg every 4 hours was what Polli was on for 1 week, then every 6 hours. Then 50 mg every 4 hours and then 6 hours. I had her on Tramadol for 10 days and Deramaxx for 2 full weeks. Remember the more he starts doing, the more pain he will be in. The more he walks, the more uncomfortable. At the end of 2 weeks, you can take him off by starting to wean several days before.

We had (still have it as a reference) a notebook with the pills she needed and at what time she had them. how she felt, what she did etc. I was able to see the progress this way. When I was in a funk, wondering what the heck I did (3 days after she came home) I would read back to day 1 and see that things were improving... SLOWLY.

It also helped us remember what time we gave her what pill. I would have been totally lost without writing everything down. I was running on no sleep for weeks.

Edited by RobinM