Willie Osteo Amputation

Guest greydogluvr

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm so sorry you've gotten this devastating diagnosis. But you are moving forward, and doing what is best for your precious boy. Please know that you are not alone. There is a lot of knowledge and support here. And you and Willie are in our prayers.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Guest greydogluvr

Willie's surgery began at 9:30. The surgeon will call as soon as he is done. I am so nervous, but know that now Willie has a fighting chance. Thank you all for the continued positive vibes, I know Willie feels them. I will update as soon as I know more. Oh, my stomach is churning....

:candle

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

We're watching the clock here, and saying many many prayers for Willie. His soul warmer was made with a lot of love and sent with a lot of love, so I just know it will work its healing magic for handsome Willie

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest greydogluvr

It takes all I have not to call every 15 minutes. I have to believe he is in good hands, though I would rather he be home in mine. If I do not hear from them in 20 minutes I am calling!!!

BTW he will have a pump in his shoulder to reduce swelling and fluid build up. Has anyone else here had experience with this? I am nervous because I will have to empty the reservior 2x per day. But I can do it if it makes him more comfortable. My stomach is in knots over this whole thing.

I had 2 "pumps" when I had breast cancer surgery. One end of the drain tube is inside, the other end is attached to a soft bulb. It's the size and shape of a hand grenade. The bulb is flattened and plugged. It provides mild suction for the drain. You will have to unplug the bulb and empty it. In my case, I had to measure the amount of fluid. When the amount of fluid dropped to a certain level, they removed the drain. It's very easy to empty the drains. The most annoying part was dealing with these hanging appendages. Hopefully, they will have them secured somehow.

This sounds right. You must be one strong person and an inspiration to many. How long ago was your surgery? Thanks for the clarification

Guest greydogluvr

Ok, all done. Everything went smoothly and without complications. He is in recovery. I will call in a couple of hours to check on his progress. We can visit tomorrow. I am having a hard time. :sick I feel like I just want to sleep and wake up to find this is all a bad dream. I guess it is natural to second guess yourself in a situation like this. :cry1

Don't you dare second guess Lora, you love that boy more than life and you will always put his best interest first. Prayers for an easy recovery. We're all pulling for you Wille!

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest EmbersDad
Ok, all done. Everything went smoothly and without complications. He is in recovery. I will call in a couple of hours to check on his progress. We can visit tomorrow. I am having a hard time. :sick I feel like I just want to sleep and wake up to find this is all a bad dream. I guess it is natural to second guess yourself in a situation like this. :cry1

as you and willie start down the path to recovery, you may think you have lost your way and want to second guess that decision, it happened to me, but i needed to stay strong and get ember through it. you can do the same thing. willie needs you now more than ever. stay strong when you see him tomorrow, he will look like frankenwillie. it will be scary. i am not gonna sugar coat it. he will also be high as a kite. i should have sent pink floyd and headphones with ember :lol

get that rest. the first bit at home will be the roughest.

Glad it's done and he's on the road to getting better now :)

Second guessing is perfectly natural but as Diane said, don't waste your time on it.

There are hard days ahead but when you come out the other side, the sun really will be shining :grouphug

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

Glad he did well. We all 2nd guess ourselves. Perfectly normal. Today in the snow my maniac Polli was doing zoomies 3 legged, I thought of you and wished you could have seen it.

One day at a time. If that gets too rough, one hour at a time. You will get there.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest greydogluvr

Yeah!!! Willie is awake and feeling fine (thanks to the pain meds and patch). He came out of the anesthesia easily without complication. They have a "Snuggie Sweater" on him to keep him warm. He will be transfered to Critical Care in a few hours and we will be able to visit him in the AM.

I have scheduled to pick him up on Friday before 11 am. He will come home with a mesh bandage and gause covering the incision. The drain is a bulb with suction to allow the "tissue to adhere correctly at the incision site". We will go bach on Tuesday to have the tube removed, if all goes well, and suture removal the next Friday. Wow this is a whirlwind.

I find myself looking for him at home because he was on meds so frequently before the surgery. I am glad the osteo pain is now gone. At least I know the surgery pain will heal in time.

as you and willie start down the path to recovery, you may think you have lost your way and want to second guess that decision, it happened to me, but i needed to stay strong and get ember through it. you can do the same thing. willie needs you now more than ever. stay strong when you see him tomorrow, he will look like frankenwillie. it will be scary. i am not gonna sugar coat it. he will also be high as a kite. i should have sent pink floyd and headphones with ember :lol

get that rest. the first bit at home will be the roughest.

Thanks for the laugh. Reminds me of college!!! :lol:lol

Yep, second guessing, though natural, is a waste of energy. I didn't really second guess because I knew that no matter how much time the amp bought Winnie, that pain of osteo and the risk of that leg suddenly shattering, was gone. I wish that I could say that there weren't times that I looked at my beautiful girl and wished that she was whole again, but that wouldn't be true. My heart ached for her when she plodded up and down our steps like a trooper, or when she wiped out on a slick floor, but I knew that I'd done the right thing. There is no stigma in the dog world against 3 legged hounds, and that spirit that captured you forever is still intact, a missing appendage is superficial in the larger scheme of things.

Be sure and keep us up to date with his progress. Lots of prayers and white light.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

. At least I know the surgery pain will heal in time.

This is quite accurate. There will be no more pain for Willie. Don't look at it as he has no leg, instead he has no osteo!!

How wonderful.

Many prayers for Willie's fast recovery!

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project