Metacam

I didn't realize it came in a liquid form until I got home. The vet's office didn't mention how it should be administered. Should I give it to him directly or can I put it on his food?

siggie50_1.jpg

Blair, Stella (DND Heather), Lizzie (M's Deadra), Hitch (Hallo Dominant) and House (Mac's Dr. House)

Missing my handsome men Lewis (Vs Lowrider) - 11/11/01 - 3/11/09, Kevin (Dakota's Hi Five) - 1/1/06 - 4/18/11 and my cat, Sparkle Baby - ??/??/96 - 4/23/11

"The gift which I am sending you is called a dog, and is, in fact, the most precious and valuable possession of mankind." (Theodorus Gaza)

It can go in food although I always squirted it into Jack's mouth and followed up with a tasty treat. I just needed to know he got it. It should be given in conjunction with food though you probably know that.

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

If he's a good eater and always cleans his plate I see nothing wrong with putting it in with his food. :)

He has been a member of the "clean bowl club" since Day 1 so I think I'll be safe mixing it in with his food. Thanks!

siggie50_1.jpg

Blair, Stella (DND Heather), Lizzie (M's Deadra), Hitch (Hallo Dominant) and House (Mac's Dr. House)

Missing my handsome men Lewis (Vs Lowrider) - 11/11/01 - 3/11/09, Kevin (Dakota's Hi Five) - 1/1/06 - 4/18/11 and my cat, Sparkle Baby - ??/??/96 - 4/23/11

"The gift which I am sending you is called a dog, and is, in fact, the most precious and valuable possession of mankind." (Theodorus Gaza)

What they said.

Oh, and a tip... next time you have to get her meds refilled, ask the vet to write you a prescription for the generic meloxicam. You can have it filled at WalMart or Target for $4. It's a pill, not the liquid, but I don't care for the liquid... it smells like ferrets.

Lynn

ut I don't care for the liquid... it smells like ferrets.

Lynn

:lol:lol

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

I'm using the pill form with my foster, Toby (thanks to a tip from GT!) and he's doing better with the pill than with the liquid. He's got a hip that hurts (old injury), but since we've switched to the pill form there's been no more limping when the temp drops and no more snarkiness with the other dogs because of pain/discomfort. I put it in his evening meal since he's more active after dinner than after breakfast.

What they said.

Oh, and a tip... next time you have to get her meds refilled, ask the vet to write you a prescription for the generic meloxicam. You can have it filled at WalMart or Target for $4. It's a pill, not the liquid, but I don't care for the liquid... it smells like ferrets.

Lynn

Lynn, I think I've told you that everytime you post, I learn something!! But I have a question about this. Not long ago Dr Feeman posted about this. IF I remember correctly, he said that when you get the human med, you may not be getting the full strength of the drug vs the Metacam. What are your thoughts about that?

Edited by cbudshome

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

I've used the human version with 3 different dogs (with my vets blessing) and it has always worked great on all of them. The pills are so teeny and crumbly it doesn't seem like they'd hang around your stomach long. We've never had a problem with them and it is SO much easier than the liquid.

Back in the "old days" before $4 scripts at WalMart a friend of mine in AZ would buy Meloxicam in Mexico for about .05 a pill and mail it to us. I'm sure Dr. Freeman would have a heart attack over that but my vet and other vets I know were fine with it. OT but my asthma inhalers all come from Mexico now -- made by SmithKline Glaxo in Spain and Chile -- same ingredient except propellant at 1/20th the cost of the new US ones.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

RE: Human generics

If it works for your dog, go for it.

Remember that all generics, though, can vary in the amount of actual drug under FDA law, and you may not be getting the full dose, or anywhere close to it (or you may be getting more). So watch your dog for changes and talk to your vet about adjusting accordingly.

If you stick with brand-name, try ordering from a mail-order house like 1800PetMeds or DrsFosterSmith. Dune's meds cost me half at DrsFosterSmith compared with the vet's office.

gallery_17468_3098_7486.jpg
Dash (Mega Batboy), & forever missing Kipper (RD's Kiper, 2006-2015) & Souldog Dune (Pazzo Otis, 1994-2008)
"..cherish him and give him place with yourself for the rest of his but too short life. It is his one drawback. He should live as long as his owner."
James Matheson, The Greyhound: Breeding, Coursing, Racing, etc., 1929

I prefered the maloxicam and I preferred the liquid. It is better for the gut than a pill. Same goes for the metacam itself.

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

What they said.

Lynn

I thought it smelled like hyacinths :lol

I give it to them in the yogurt or whatever because sometimes they aren't eating well. I also want to know that particular dog got it and not one of the other two :)

vr2a.jpg
Tonya, mom to May, and my angels Vinnie, Rex, Red, Chase, and Jake.

You/your vet just have to be careful with your math when calculating the dosage. I've never had a problem with it, and my vets are all cool with trying it before other NSAIDS. It is true that meloxicam (in any incarnation) can be tougher on the stomach than some other canine-approved NSAIDS, but if the dog can handle it (very few can't), I prefer to save some money there so I can afford other meds/diagnostics/surgeries where there are no cheaper alternatives. Of course, if the dog can't handle it, I'm the first in line for other meds!

My vets have been cool with writing scripts ever since the $4 programs and the free antibiotics program came out, because they also understand that it frees up money for other diagnostics, surgery, therapy, or non-generically available meds that might be needed.

Lynn

Guest longdogs
RE: Human generics

Remember that all generics, though, can vary in the amount of actual drug under FDA law, and you may not be getting the full dose, or anywhere close to it (or you may be getting more). So watch your dog for changes and talk to your vet about adjusting accordingly.

I'm surprised at this. Here, the active ingredient of a generic is the same as a non-generic. That is to say a 7.5mg metacam generic pill will have 7.5 mg of metacam, exactly the the same as a Meloxicam pill with 7.5mg of metacam.

My "clean bowl member" decided this morning he really didn't like the taste of that Metacam at all. He ate about a fourth of his breakfast and then hacked the better part of it up. I didn't give him anymore since I don't know how much he actually ingested. On retiredracer's advice, I bought a a small package of Twinkies (I had no idea they even still made those) and gave him a little piece tonight. He loved it so tomorrow morning we'll try a piece Metacam-laced Twinkie. He is such a bad medicine taker.....I amost need a crowbar to pry his jaws apart and then he does this spastic thing with his tongue so I know the syringe won't work. I'll let you know how the Twinkie trick works tomorrow!

siggie50_1.jpg

My "clean bowl member" decided this morning he really didn't like the taste of that Metacam at all. He ate about a fourth of his breakfast and then hacked the better part of it up. I didn't give him anymore since I don't know how much he actually ingested. On retiredracer's advice, I bought a a small package of Twinkies (I had no idea they even still made those) and gave him a little piece tonight. He loved it so tomorrow morning we'll try a piece Metacam-laced Twinkie. He is such a bad medicine taker.....I amost need a crowbar to pry his jaws apart and then he does this spastic thing with his tongue so I know the syringe won't work. I'll let you know how the Twinkie trick works tomorrow!

Twinkie, what a great idea!! I didn't know they still made them either. please let us know how you make out in the am. Lots of good thoughts for your handsome boy

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest HoustonGreys
What they said.

Lynn

Our vet had switched Turbo to this and my GrandGrey is on Meloxicam and it's just as effective and SO much cheaper!

The Twinkies worked like a charm! I had to run out to the grocery store this afternoon and picked up a box of the low fat variety. For some reason, it seems like hand given treats, no matter what it is, works for all of mine. All of mine love grapes as long as I don't put them in their bowls. Funny dogs! Anyway, as soon as I finish up this bottle of Metacam, I'll ask my vet to write a prescription for Meloxicam. $4 is a whole lot better than the $43 I paid last week.

siggie50_1.jpg

The Twinkie trip worked for a couple of days before he wised up. The stuff does stink so I imagine it tastes pretty bad too. Whoever said it smelled like ferrets was right on it! Thank goodness there's only about one more dose left in this bottle. My vet called in a prescription for Meloxicam to Kroger....it qualifies for the $4 generic program so starting on Thursday morning, no more Twinkies for Lewis. Anybody need a 3/4 box of low-fat Twinkies!?!?!?

siggie50_1.jpg