Why? I Don't Get This Logic

I called to get a refill of Shanti's tramadol today. We do this EVERY month. No problem. They say they will call it in. Then about 2 hours later I get a message from them saying Shanti is due for a drug level test. This is for the VF medication and it can be done 3 weeks at the earliest to 90 days. I just did one and they are not cheap ($260). I will wait a bit longer to make sure we hit the dose. Then I get another call saying they won't renew my tramadol until the drug level test is done. WTH? It is not even for this medicine? When I explained this the tech asked another vet and said I just have to have a appointment in the books. Why? She does not need it yet, but she is out of tramadol Saturday morning. This is not a recheck or anything.

My vet is out today, so I have left her a message to explain this to me, but it will drive me nuts. Does this make sense to anyone else? Am I missing something?

The Girls

Are there refills left on the bottle? I remember my vet telling me they need to at least see the dog if the refills are out. I've had to do it but he doesn't charge me a visit. I was told they could get in trouble and they're cracking down on the vets giving meds without seeing the dog. But telling you they won't dispense it without the drug level test associated with VF makes no sense to me.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

No refills. I never have refills. She calls in a new one each month. I figured that is a vet thing.

The only thing I can think of is there is a mix up and the gal on the desk does not understand this and the vet she asked we have never seen. Shanti had a check up in October, saw her again in November for the tests. It is just not making sense to me.

The bummer is now I have to wait and go to WalMart on Saturday. It will be packed!

The Girls

Guest ChasesMum

maybe there is some new regulation or something that has come into play in the recent past? blah. Sometimes this kind of drug has a couple hoops attached that need to be jumped through.

or maybe all the vet meant was there had to be an appointment in the books because they can't call it in as a refill anymore, that you need to be seen to get it? Remember walmart is a HUMAN pharmacy and they have to follow HUMAN regulations even if its being dispensed for a dog. just a thought, it may or may not even be remotley valid but...

The bummer is now I have to wait and go to WalMart on Saturday. It will be packed!

Go to Sams instead and have a progressive lunch from the zillion sample ladies while you wait... :chow

Now that is an idea, but I am not a member there. Plus it will be a zoo too. I do have to go to Costco in the next week though. Maybe I will plan it around lunch. :)

The Girls

Tramadol is a controlled substance, and it is used for human pain management as well. There are protocols in place that the pharmacies have to follow, and they have to make sure you're not selling the drugs and making a profit! I get Cash's Xanax from Safeway, and they're really great there, but even though they get the Rx from a vet and they know it's for a dog, I have to go through the whole routine each time: phone it in, get it approved, go in, have a consult with a pharmacist, and the pharmacist has to hand the drug to me directly. It's a PITA but I appreciate the effort they make to ensure their product is being used properly.

greysmom :D

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Patrick takes tramadol, and my vet calls in his refills to target without seeing him. I do a full blood panel yearly with his dental, and that's it (of course unless there's a problem.) She knows I'll be in her office the minute I notice a problem.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Go to Sams instead and have a progressive lunch from the zillion sample ladies while you wait... :chow

Now that is an idea, but I am not a member there. Plus it will be a zoo too. I do have to go to Costco in the next week though. Maybe I will plan it around lunch. :)

You don't need a membership to use their pharmacies, as far as I know (Sams/Costco)

Mary Semper Fi, Dad - I miss you. Remembering Carla Benoist, a Greyhound/Pibble's bestest friend, Princess Zoe Brick-Butt, the little IG with the huge impact on hearts around the world - Miz Foxy - Greyhound Trish - Batman, the Roman-nosed Gentleman - Profile, the Handsome Man - Hunky the Hunkalicious - Jeany the Beautiful Lady- Zema, the most beautiful girl in the world - Jessie, the lovable nuisance - and my 3 Greys: my Angie-girl, my Casey-girl, and The Majestic Pippin, running forever in my heart. (I will always love you and miss you,my friends)

Guest LindsaySF

Are you getting the medicine filled at the vet, or somewhere else? Costco wouldn't fill Cody's Diabetes Insipidus meds without him seeing the vet again, so I made an appointment. Yet when we went in to be seen my vet asked why I didn't just call it in! :blink: She called Costco and said she does not need to see Cody whenever his refills run out. Costco was just following protocol, but they deferred to the vet once she explained it.

I am guessing that the desk people at your vet don't know what to do, but once you talk to the actual vet he/she will get it all sorted out and you won't need to be seen. If the vet insists on the test, then they are just trying to get money out of you.

~Lindsay~

FYI, Tramadol is *not* a controlled substance. It is prescription, but not a Scheduled drug.

Edited to add: It is Schedule IV in Kentucky.... you learn something new every day!

Lynn

Edited by LynnM

Why don't you ask for a 90 day scrip? This way you won't have to go through this every month. Wallmart will fill a three months prescription for you.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest HoustonGreys

I have always said it didn't matter how good a doctor was (human or pet) that if the front office wasn't with it, you might as well change doctors. We are blessed that our vet has fantastic front office and techs! I hope you get this resolved before you run out of medication.

Doctor was in today and it is authorized. They just did not call it in as requested as they were not sure I wanted it. I will call them in the morning to have them call it into WalMart. They must be training new desk people.

When I was there last week, they were training a new girl, so that's entirely possible. I like most of the desk people, but every once in awhile................... :rolleyes:

Paula & her pups--Paneer (WW Outlook Ladd), Kira & Rhett (the whippets)
Forever in my heart...Tinsel (Born's Bounder - 11/9/90-12/18/01), Piper, Chevy, Keno, Zuma, Little One, Phaelin & Winnie
Greyhound Adoption Center ~ So Cal rep for Whippet Rescue And Placement

For beautiful beaded collars, check out my Facebook page: The Swanky Hound

Hoping everything is all straightened out and that Shanti gets her meds and you a much needed treat. Go early and maybe you can avoid all the craziness - what time does the pharmacy open?

Doctor was in today and it is authorized. They just did not call it in as requested as they were not sure I wanted it. I will call them in the morning to have them call it into WalMart. They must be training new desk people.

They weren't sure you wanted it???? Someone needs to wake up!! Hopefully this will be the last time you go through this!

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

I talked to them again this morning. The gal on the desk, a name I did not recognize, was going to call it in and call me back when she did that. That was an hour ago. I wish one person would handle it from start to finish, but I guess when it takes 2 days that is not possible. :P I hope to have medicine soon. I gave her the last dose this morning. I will have to have it by this evening.

Yep, there was a part of me that had to laugh when the message was left if I wanted it called in. I have never had t his kind of issue, so I am going to blame it on new people in training. :D

The Girls

Guest Tenderhearts

Well, at least you can laugh about it today! Believe me, I know the frustration of dealing with too many people, and new people who have no idea what they are doing! :dunno:youcrazy:P