Tell Me Not To Panic- Please .. And Mean It.

RobinM

Polli.

I came home from work early today and when I let her out, she came down the stairs- looked a bit wobbly- she went out - did her business. She then waits at the steps for me to carry her back in. When she walked back into the house, her right front leg is quivering.

When I place my hand on her leg, it feels like our muscles do when we are working out and we did one too many reps or the weight is too much. That is my best analogy.

She has not wanted to walk and although she was rooing and vocal when I asked WHO WANTS A WALKIE- she laid down when we were getting coats on everyone. When she went out, she peed and wanted to go right back in. Another day- no walkie. She wants to, but won't. That leg is bothering her.

PLEASE tell me this is a muscle ache and that the cancer is not in the other leg. Please tell me that.

My vet's repsonse in email:

Hi Robin,

Often times these "tripod" dogs are more prone to muscle strains of

other limbs due to the altered distribution of weight. Given there

is no obvious pain and she seems otherwise happy, this is likely the

case.

That being said, I don't want to ignore it either if what you're

seeing is persistent. Let her rest for a few days, keep her on the

Deramaxx and we'll see how it goes.

Keep me posted.

Marybeth

Edited by RobinM

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest LokisMom

I imagine she is using that leg differently and the weight distribution is different now that she is missing the other leg. It very well could be a muscle ache from that.

Have you talked to your vet?

I bet you ANYTHING...it is muscle strain...her body is adjusting to weight shifts. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

DO NOT PANIC - I mean it!

She needs to re-learn how to walk with only three legs, and I'm sure the front one is taking a lot of additional stress. It might also be tired and achy from the cold, if it's cold where you are. Plus there's bound to be good energetic days and other low energy days. If she doesn't get better with rest (and carrying up the steps!) then talk with your vet.

Nothing more bad can happen to Pretty Polli, so it's nothing bad!

greysmom :D

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I agree with the muscle strain. I would try ice packs (15 min on/15 min off) and massage.

Sending good thoughts your way.

gallery_17374_2906_4494.jpg
Beverly. Missing my happy toy-flinging boy Sammy (Where's Mandrill), (8/12/2009-9/30-2021) Desperately missing my angel Mandy (BB's Luv) [7/1/2000 - 9/18/2012]. Always missing Meg the Dalmatian and Ralph Malph the Pekeapoo.

While it is not impossible it is VERY VERY rare for there to be osteo in another limb Robin. The other leg is being asked to do a lot of work it didn't have to do before. It was front leg she lost right? The front legs take almost all the weight and shock so the remaining leg is working very hard. It will be mechanical/muscular. This is a physio issue :grouphug

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

Guest FrostyBottoms

I know when the weather changes...Vinny moves slower...I think he aches a little...maybe she is achy and because she only has 1 front leg...it is sore. Please try not to worry until you take her in. I know it's easy for me to say.

:grouphug :grouphug Hugs to you and Polli!

Could she have possible stepped on something? I know one summer Molly stepped on a bee and her foot and leg quivered like there was an earthquake. Could that be a possibility?

Hugs to Polli

I agree and am hoping that it is just that she has to stand and walk differently and it just kind of caught up to her...

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

Guest wmlcml6
I imagine she is using that leg differently and the weight distribution is different now that she is missing the other leg. It very well could be a muscle ache from that.

This was my first thought, too.

((((((((((((((HUGS))))))))))))))

You know I have no experience with this Robin, but what others are saying makes perfect sense. I know you, you love her more than life itself, so I won't say don't panic.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

She had given me her email address and cell phone (which I have never used) so I emailed her my concerns.

My first reaction is because of the quiver, is that it does feel like a muscle but because.. just because I am who I am and where we have been, I am second guessing myself.

I feel like I keep Polli under a microscope. I know MANY of you can relate to that. What's this, what's that, did she eat? did she eat enough? Did she eat too much (can't gain too much with 3 legs), is she walking enough, not enough, she farted, she farted too loud... get the point! Under a microscope is my best way of explaining.

She must think "this lady is a total pain in my butt"!!! And I admit, I am, but only because Polli most definitely rocks my world & I love her so much. I don;t remember a time in my life that she wasn't here. She has such a huge presence that it just seems to be all about Polli...

sorry for the rambling...

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

well, I can't tell you not to panic, because if I were in your place, I'd be panicking, BUT! I am able to look at this as a outsider, and I agree it sounds just like a muscle strain. I was watching Molly hop along on three legs (broken toe) and thinking what a strain it must be for her other legs, and really, the rest of her body. It must be much harder for Polli :bighug

edited to add, if i had to deal with your weather, I wouldn't want to go for a walk either :rolleyes:

Edited by Remolacha

Thanks all-

Diane- I've been in close contact with Gynis about this too! ;)

As far as acupunture, the vet who does Beau and Teddy said maybe/ no to it when she was initially home from surgery. He explained to us that with cancer, you don't want to manipulate the cells to make them move faster -I am definitely not explaining this correctly.

Acupunture increases circulation- so you don't want microcancerous cells to metatisize. Now, may be a different story. I will run it by my vet and the vet who does it for my boys.

Guest ChasesMum

George quivered too, and a massage and some down time was the best remedy. I am impressed she is willing to go for a walkie at all, George was content with the yard and an occasional wander in the front yard onleash. It was October when he was diagnosed and Feb when he passed so it was cold, snowy, and miserable. Good thing he liked winter! lol

He also spent a lot of time roaching, like the yoga pose it takes a lot of weight off and feels great.

I want to add a pic of it but can't! :(

well, I can't tell you not to panic, because if I were in your place, I'd be panicking, BUT! I am able to look at this as a outsider, and I agree it sounds just like a muscle strain. I was watching Molly hop along on three legs (broken toe) and thinking what a strain it must be for her other legs, and really, the rest of her body. It must be much harder for Polli :bighug

edited to add, if i had to deal with your weather, I wouldn't want to go for a walk either :rolleyes:

Our weather is certainly no where near what yours is, but where we are on LI- we rarely rarely rarely get snow. When we do, it's gone within a day and the temp is really not bad. It's the south shore ON the water which keeps things warmer than most parts of NY. We get some cold spells but today is 57 degrees. We've had a few chilly days, but it's not like upstate NY where it's Freaking cold!!!!!

I guess it could be the muscles, the dampness, the strain... basically not one thing, many things adding up to make her not feel like walking.

Quivers are ok - to me, just means muscles are re-learning and adjusting. However, if she is not putting weight on her leg when standing and/or starts to shake (not quiver), then I would be worried. I know that Vinnie was a very unusual case so I would not compare him to so many that have osteo and amp - but I remember the microscope affect - I watched him like a hawk, and since he went to work with me, there wasn't a time I wasn't watching him. When I noticed the shaking on his remaining front leg, the whimper, the chewing on his paw and the heavy panting - I knew it wasn't good. This was before his 3rd chemo and I asked for xrays before they did the chemo - he just seemed off to me - and I was right - it had filled one lung, started on the other and it was attacking his remaining front paw. Now, before you panic - remember - Vinnie's case was highly unusual - very, very aggressive and very fast moving. We still think it had a lot to do with the fact that he was a puppy and things were just out of sync and on turbo charge because of puppy growth.

I would treat as a muscle strain for now (besides, this gives you extra cuddle time as you massage and pamper her). Perhaps the vet can take an xray as well and/or just do a check up on her. This should give you peace of mind so that you can enjoy the holidays with your very beautiful and special Miss Polli. Sending hugs and scritches. And a reminder, do not panic, keep breathing, nice and slow.

It is very rare for osteo to move to another limb. It takes a lot out of a new tripod to learn how to walk and Polli is probably just really tired from her new gait. :grouphug :grouphug

Aero: http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?d=kees+uncatchable; our bridge angel (1/04/02-8/2/07) Snickers; our bridge angel (1/04/02-2/29/08) Cricket; Kanga Roo: oops girl 5/26/07; Doctor Thunder http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?z=P_31Oj&a...&birthland=

You know what, Bonnie's front legs do this too. I never really thought much of it. But, when she is straining to smell or reach something, her front legs sometimes quiver really bad. Is Polli on prednisone? Maybe it's related to the pred or chemo medications. :dunno That's kind of what I've been thinking with Bonnie, because she never had any problems before the lymphoma.

I'll ask our vet at our next appointment and see what she thinks too. Give Polli a hug from us. :grouphug

You know what, Bonnie's front legs do this too. I never really thought much of it. But, when she is straining to smell or reach something, her front legs sometimes quiver really bad. Is Polli on prednisone? Maybe it's related to the pred or chemo medications. :dunno That's kind of what I've been thinking with Bonnie, because she never had any problems before the lymphoma.

I'll ask our vet at our next appointment and see what she thinks too. Give Polli a hug from us. :grouphug

You are all very comforting and I do mean that.

Polli is on nothing except for Artemix which is an herbal for fight microcancerous cells. The only time I do not give her that is the one week post chemo.

Right now, as I type this she is finishing her dinner and chomping away on a milkbone looking like she doesnt have a care in the world. Exactly how it should be for her and every other animal in the world!

............and that is as it should be. Miss Polli is eating and all is right with the world. Of course, that doesn't mean that we won't stop the truckload of prayers for her that arrive daily!

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead