Wow

She stood up tryed to walk and just kept on going in tight left hand circles . She seemed to have no controll of her back legs but just kept rotating. I tryed to call her name and get her to look at me. she was all glassie eyed. After about 45 seconds she layed down then a few min later she looked at me when I called her name and acknowledged me by giving me kisses. She is fine now. Infact ran out to see my mom who was comming over to check her out.

If any one has any ideas let me know.

Cassie: Pikes Clara Bell Swoop: My Man Swoop

BRIDGE ANGELS Psi:WD'S Aleford 3/17/00-4/25/10 Snowman: Gable Snowman 1/9/96-2/14/08

No idea- but I am sure someone here will chime in. Hope all will be OK.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

Sounds like a seisure. Definitely something on the neurological side. I dont think its an evet thing, but you should definitely see a vet when you can.

Guest EmilyAnne

Maybe something related with vestibular? (I'm not real familiar with this, I'm sure someone else will chime in)

On seizures, I have seen a wide variety of seizures over the years, from Focals, to Petit-Mals, to Grand-Mals. This sounds nothing even remotely like any seizure I have personally seen. Not to say I am *100%* sure it wasn't a seizure. You said she had no control of her back legs. Do you mean like she was dragging them?

Guest KennelMom

Sounds like the seizure Echo had a few years ago. She's never had one since and the vet never found a reason for the one she did have. It was very strange.

There's also something referred to as old dog vestibular disease which can have symptoms similar to what you describe though I did not think they were quite as acute as only lasting a few minutes. Grandpa had a vestibular episode that lasted about 36 hours.

Were her eyes fixed or darting back and forth?

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest LindsaySF

The circling sounds like a vestibular issue (ear infection, etc), but the hind legs problem makes me think a seizure or a stroke. Hopefully it won't happen again, but I would ask your vet about it.

they were fixed. I held her face to me so I could see eyes and there was no movement..kind of spaced out look.

how scary! I hope Cassie is ok...give her a hug from me!! :grouphug

Will do michelle. she is fine and back to her happy (bit off) self. I am going to call my vet tomorrow and see what they think.

Maybe something related with vestibular? (I'm not real familiar with this, I'm sure someone else will chime in)

On seizures, I have seen a wide variety of seizures over the years, from Focals, to Petit-Mals, to Grand-Mals. This sounds nothing even remotely like any seizure I have personally seen. Not to say I am *100%* sure it wasn't a seizure. You said she had no control of her back legs. Do you mean like she was dragging them?

no controll like she was hunched down (kind of like when they have to poo) but leaning to the side and was tripping over the leg she was crossing as she circled.

thanks all for the replys

She stood up tryed to walk and just kept on going in tight left hand circles . She seemed to have no controll of her back legs but just kept rotating. I tryed to call her name and get her to look at me. she was all glassie eyed. After about 45 seconds she layed down then a few min later she looked at me when I called her name and acknowledged me by giving me kisses. She is fine now. Infact ran out to see my mom who was comming over to check her out.

If any one has any ideas let me know.

ment to say few seconds not min later :blush

Edited by jamngrey

BRIDGE ANGELS Psi:WD'S Aleford 3/17/00-4/25/10 Snowman: Gable Snowman 1/9/96-2/14/08

Guest EmilyAnne

She said her eyes were glassy eyed. That was the one thing about the OP that did stick out to me. When Henry has Focal seizures, his eyes are glassy eyed too. But other than that, none of his seizures were anything like what was described in OP. One kind of seizure I have not seen is Psychomotor seizures, which I listed a link to in an earlier post in this thread.

The eyes darting back and forth is a classic sign of vestibular rather than a seizure

Pam

Does this make a difference to being a seizure or not?

The darting eyes could be a sign of a seizure as well. Koda had a small seizure last year and that is virtually all she did. She was sitting up while laying down and her eyes kept darting back and forth rapidly...her head shaking.....and she was not responsive to me gently calling her name. It lasted about 1 minute and then she was ok. The vet diagnosed it as a small seizure at the time. She hasn't had one since (or prior) and nothing showed up in bloodwork. I just took a diary of the day's events just in case there was another one...hopefully there won't be.

I do agree that this sounds like a seizure with the OP. Someone had mentioned TIA but I don't think dogs can get TIAs....can they? Regardless, it does sound like a seizure since she recovered right away once the episode was over. I do not know anything about vestibular disease so I can't add any information on that. I would document they day's events leading up to the episode...date and time....and hope there isn't another one. :goodluck:hope

Sounds a little of what Snowy did when she had her stroke. Her head wobbled back & forth dramatically & then when she tried to stand up, she couldn't. After she stayed at the vet for 3 days, she was better, but weak. He said it was not vestibular.

The eyes darting back and forth is a classic sign of vestibular rather than a seizure

Pam

Does this make a difference to being a seizure or not?

The darting eyes could be a sign of a seizure as well. Koda had a small seizure last year and that is virtually all she did. She was sitting up while laying down and her eyes kept darting back and forth rapidly...her head shaking.....and she was not responsive to me gently calling her name. It lasted about 1 minute and then she was ok. The vet diagnosed it as a small seizure at the time. She hasn't had one since (or prior) and nothing showed up in bloodwork. I just took a diary of the day's events just in case there was another one...hopefully there won't be.

I do agree that this sounds like a seizure with the OP. Someone had mentioned TIA but I don't think dogs can get TIAs....can they? Regardless, it does sound like a seizure since she recovered right away once the episode was over. I do not know anything about vestibular disease so I can't add any information on that. I would document they day's events leading up to the episode...date and time....and hope there isn't another one. :goodluck:hope

I'm the one who mentioned TIA. They may not have a TIA as we know them in humans, but they do have mini strokes

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

thanks all. I have an appt this week for blood work...and a check up (which she just had 3 months ago with full blood work) Ill keep you posted

blood wk came back fine. They could find on ear issue and no remarkable problem anywhere. She has not been anything but her usual happy go lucky gal so They said to just keep an eye for any abnormality. thanks for all the well wishes

Oh Wendy.....I'm so sorry your poor girl was going through this. Phaelin just had a seizure last week, but it was different than what Cassie had. I sure hope this was a one time thing.....I know how scary is can be. :(

Paula & her pups--Paneer (WW Outlook Ladd), Kira & Rhett (the whippets)
Forever in my heart...Tinsel (Born's Bounder - 11/9/90-12/18/01), Piper, Chevy, Keno, Zuma, Little One, Phaelin & Winnie
Greyhound Adoption Center ~ So Cal rep for Whippet Rescue And Placement

For beautiful beaded collars, check out my Facebook page: The Swanky Hound