Stormy's Illness

Guest jurishound

Guest jurishound

Help - please. :cry1 Before his diagnosis with hemangio on Tuesday, Stormy was eating well and happily going for walks. The only signs of his illness were that he looked alittle more tired and had some unexplained bruising. His prognosis is considered quite grave. I consulted with Dr. Couto, who thought he might be a good candidate for chemo to control the mets. On Friday, I brought him to an oncologist who offered three options - first, do nothing, in which case Stormy might live 1 - 2 months, give him oral chemo, which is not proven to be effective but has low side effect profile, or administer adriamycin IV. He said that approximately 30% of dogs respond to this and only 10% suffer side effects. In dogs that do respond, their lifespan can reportedly be increased to 3 - 4 months, or even longer. The very LAST thing that I wanted was for Stormy to feel sick in his final days. We elected to try adriamycin and now I am terrifed that it was a huge mistake. His infusion was on Friday. He barely ate yesterday, and has eaten nothing today. He is barely drinking water, and just threw up some grass. I can hardly breathe, I feel so badly for him. Does anyone have experience with adriamycin and is there any hope that he might feel better in the next few days? I am so heartsick about this. I posted in CoG too, as I am desperate for answers. :( Thanks, Joslin

I can't answer about adriamycin.

Does he have some meds to help his tummy?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Darcy had two doses of adriamycin (Doxorubicin) as part of her chemo. I think it may be one of the drugs more likely to give some side effects although she had none at all after the first dose. She was quite poorly after the second dose but that was back in January of this year and today she's celebrating 13 months since her osteo diagnosis/amputation so I can tell you with all sincerity that yes there most certainly is hope that Stormy will feel better within the next few days :grouphug

I also wonder if Stormy has some medication to help him through this rough spot? If he doesn't, please do contact your vet.

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

Guest jurishound
:weep Until today, I was giving him reglan and flagyl to prevent problems, but now he won't eat any of the treats I hide it in and now I just can't bear to "pill" him. :(

Might ask your vet about trying pepcid rather than reglan -- sometimes one works better than the other. I honestly would pill him as it could make him feel better. Another trick for dogs who are totally unpillable is to crush the pill with peanutbutter or molasses; if they won't eat it, you can smear it along their gums by the back molars, and it'll eventually make its way down.

Sending along many hugs for yourself. Don't second-guess your decision -- you're doing the best anyone can for him.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Given the same information I would have probably opted for the same course of treatment. Darcy's results certainly are cause for encouragement. I'll be keeping Stormy in my thoughts that this just be a temporary setback and better health is just around the corner.

If he needs the meds pill him. It is something I always did with Foxy since she wouldn't be fooled by yummy packaging. It only takes seconds and he'll forget you did it, until next time.

Don't be so hard on yourself. You love him and you are doing what you think is best for him. The side affects will pass, just be patient and help him get through this.

If he won't eat or drink you'll have to make sure he gets enough fluids. Get some pedialyte and feed him spoonfuls or syringe feed it to him. I suspect once his meds start working he'll drink on his own. He just feels crappy right now.

You have our prayers

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Angel LaceyLaine had a hard time with this chemo agent as well~she got it twice. Generic Zofran and Remeron helped her with her tummy and appetite. She did improve. Sending my prayers and hugs. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

I'm glad to see that you've gotten some good advice from those with experience. I have no experience with it, but can only agree and send you white light and some heavy duty prayers. I know it's hard, but please don't beat yourself up. You do what you feel is best because you love him so much.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

When Misty was dx with Cushings a couple of weeks ago, I knew that we would be treating it with a human cancer drug that was a very dangerous drug. When she went into crisis and crashed the second day on the meds I realized that the treatment was worse than the disease itself. I questioned mtself over and over wondering if I was doing the right thing. Once we finally got her stable and lowered the dose, she handled the meds okay and I felt that I had not made a mistake. Whatever we decide to do, it's always out of love. Hoping Stormy feels better

Edited by cbudshome

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest SoulsMom

Oh Joslin, I'm so sorry you're going through this. Just try to remember that ANY kind of chemo is a strong, strong drug and bound to make them feel icky while they can fight the cancer. Sending tons of good thoughts to you and Stormy. Please don't 2nd guess yourself. When Soul came out of ICU last week seemingly worse off than when he went in I was beating myself up for it. . . . .even though I knew deep down that with out the ICU stayed he might have died. :grouphug

Guest ChasesMum

I can't help with the cancer drugs, other than to encourage you to get the tummy meds in however you can.

I would encourage you to not second guess the treatment that has already been done - you can't change it, you can only move forward (believe me, after G's amp we second guessed ourselves A LOT!) Re evaluate before the next dose, see how long the side effects lasted, how he responded, how long it took to get back to "normal" etc. Decide before each treatment if you are going to go through it again. No one will force you to get all the doses if you decide its not worth it. You can stop if that is what you decide. Either way its going to be rough going... lots of hugs, scritches, and warm thoughts to you all!

Guest fruitypebbles

Second guessing yourself is a cancer in itself.

If you can't pill him, try getting some pumpkin, crush the meds and mix them in the pumpkin. If he wont eat it, smear it on his palate and back teeth. He'll get it all eventually. Wishing you and Stormy much peace.

Guest MorganKonaAlex

I had one dog, Alex, that had 2 doses of Adriamycin for osteosarcoma and I had it myself for breast cancer. It's pretty tough on the stomach but he should bounce back in another day or so. Alex was lethargic and lacked appetite for a few days after it. I would talk to the Vet for some meds for his stomach. Reglan, Pepcid or carafate.

Guest jurishound

Thank you for your posts - they really help. The ice cream trick worked - he has had his meds and tonight, ate some chicken jerky, a little hamburger, and a little can of "lamb stew" from the whole foods market. He is really tired but insisted on a walk, which I cut short a bit so he wouldn't be tired out. Like all of you, we love our hounds so much and hate so much to see them suffer.

We will see how he does in the next few days and go from there. In the meantime, he's getting lots and lots of love, and his daddy will be back home tonight. That might perk him up too.

Thank you so much for all of your good thoughts - they are very, very appreciated.

Edited by jurishound

Guest EmbersDad

embers first dose was doxyrubicin. it made her more lazy than normal and threw her appetite off just a little. it lasted about 5 days. she had cerenia @ 60 mg for her tummy

embers first dose was doxyrubicin. it made her more lazy than normal and threw her appetite off just a little. it lasted about 5 days. she had cerenia @ 60 mg for her tummy

Cerenia is such a great drug. It worked well for Misty and when we lowered the Lysodren, she does well on Pepcid

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Hugs to you both, I know how frustrating and scary it is to try and get a dog that needs to eat to eat.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project