I Hate When They Get Old

Guest LazyBones

Guest joedogs_mom

i am thinking of you -- i am going through some similar things with my Joe. he didn't sleep AT ALL last night, and neither did i. i also just posted in health and medical about what we're dealing with. keep in touch. hugs and good thoughts.

laura

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest PhillyPups

:bighug to you. I am experiencing some of this with Stepper, who is also 13, though not to the extent you have with Gumby (I :wub: Gumby) so I know what you mean. I just cherish each moment. ~ sigh

Please keep us posted. :bighug

Guest LazyBones

just got back a little while ago. we are gonna give it one more shot. she received a painkiller/sedative shot so that she can get some rest. right now she is zonked out on the living room floor, thankfully. she was also prescribed some tylenol with codiene, which would be a temporary measure until she (hopefully) feels better. however, if this doesn't help, there isn't much more we can do. :(

also, we are gonna have to confine her when we're not around. mom and I both took the day off. so, I am gonna try to get some sleep while I can.

thank you all so much for the well-wishes.

just got back a little while ago. we are gonna give it one more shot. she received a painkiller/sedative shot so that she can get some rest. right now she is zonked out on the living room floor, thankfully. she was also prescribed some tylenol with codiene, which would be a temporary measure until she (hopefully) feels better. however, if this doesn't help, there isn't much more we can do. :(

also, we are gonna have to confine her when we're not around. mom and I both took the day off. so, I am gonna try to get some sleep while I can.

thank you all so much for the well-wishes.

I thought acetominophin wasn't okay to give to dogs, is it okay in certain cases?

Either way, I'm sorry you're dealing with this. Has she seen a neurologist? If there was evidence of pain along her spine, maybe there's something that could still be done for her. I really have no idea, just throwing it out there. I hope she is feeling better soon. :grouphug:

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Hugs for Gumby. I know how hard it is to watch them decline. My own heart is breaking right now for our old Bell so I know just how you feel.

Melissa, Penelope (LC's Wild Rose)

Missing sweet Bell (EMK Bolivar Bell). I'll never forget you.

"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man."

- Mark Twain

{image removed, taller than 150px}

Guest LazyBones

just woke up from a nap myself, though i didn't get much sleep.

gumby is still zonked out in the living room, so that's good. i am hoping that a good sleep will help.

Guest LazyBones

just got home from work a little while ago.

i am trying not to get my hopes up too much, but so far from what i've seen since i've been home, she is definately better than she was yesterday. she is much steadier on her feet and able to hold up her back end. i offered her some treats, and she took them. so, i offered her a meal. she didn't eat much - just a couple bites - but her appetite has improved slightly. she didn't want anything yesterday. she has been drinking lots of water, though, perhaps due to the meds she's on.

she's still pacing, though. yesterday i had to use (gentle) force to get her to lie down and get some rest.

so, i'm not sure.

Guest LazyBones

she just lied down on her bed, which we pulled into the living room. she lied down on her own, so that's good. if she continues to improve, i will have to get her a brand new bed that will be extra cushy for her.

we are keeping gumby restricted from some areas of the couch, for her own safety. we have the kitchen and mom's bedroom blocked off to avoid slipping and falling.

it is good to see her able to hold up her back end again. the other day, she was holding it up okay, but after an evening of pacing, her butt started sinking. it got worse after we took her to the e-vet, and it's likely that going through x-rays and other uncomfortable procedures aggravated the problem.

so, i guess we'll just take a wait and see approach. so, please continue to keep gumby in your thoughts.

That sinking back end makes me think LS -- Lumbar Stenosis. Has she had the treatment -- the depo shot Dr Stack describes in detail on Greythealth? If not, it could be what turns her around. It might not work either but it's worth a try.

If her kidneys are going you might want to try sub cu fluids at home. That really perks up kidney patients and usually makes them eat again. It only takes a few minutes once or twice a day.

Incidentally, I love it when they get old. It means they made it past the single digits. Our Cullen passed at 9; I was sure he'd be here until at least 14 but it was not to be. I'm happy that Gumby's still here with you. I especially hope she starts eating well again.

Marcia

How's your girlie this morning?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.