Mac Needs Some Help!

Guest tobinhr

Guest tobinhr

After his idyllic birthday, I awoke to a dog who can't stand on his hind legs. We spent the day at two different vets. They seem to think one of two things:

1. Mac has a small piece of cartilege that is impeding the blood flow somewhere in his spine.

2. Mac has a slipped/bulging disc.

He has good reflexes, deep pain response, and can put a bit of weight on his hind legs. The minute he tries to move, his feet knuckle under. He is not a big fan of the "sling" technique (and I have the nip mark on my face to prove it).

He seems comfortable if he is on his pillow. He eats. He peed this morning before I took him to all the vet visits.

He got a big steriod shot and now he is yelping if I try to help him.

How do I get an 85 lb greyhound in and out? (short term).

I'm taking him back to a vet on Monday.....I just have to get through tonight and Sunday. If I can figure out a way to get him outside to pee and poop without hurting him, I think I can make it.

PLease, any advice will help. Websites, personal experiences, etc. My heart is breaking.

Jan

Mac, the hurt

Edited by tobinhr

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I, unfortunately, don't have the advice you need. Just know you are in my thoughts and prayers.

The vets know that he is unable to get up? If so, how did they suggest you get him up and out? I know there is a harness with a handle but you need something right now.

Is there anyone in your immediate area that can help you?

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

{{{{{{{{{{Mac & Jan}}}}}}}}}}

Jan, do you have a basket muzzle you can slip on before you try to help him? Won't do much good if you're both hurt.

Sometimes I find that dogs who need to be slinged are more comfortable if the sling is further forward -- more toward their ribs than in the tuck area. It's not as effective that way but at least will help you keep him from toppling over with a big painful plop. A harness with a hand towel wrapped around the under parts (to pad it a bit) can do the same. When they need to poop, I squat down next to them ready to slide an arm underneath if they get unsteady.

When he goes out, does he have to maneuver across any concrete? If so, you might want to wrap a little vetwrap around his hind feet so he doesn't scuff his toes.

Argh. Wish I could be right there to help you.

Sending prayers for a full recovery.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Jan,

:bighug to you and Mac. Did the vet give you any pain meds for him? I would muzzle him before I tried anything. The only way I know of is to use the sling thing. :goodluck:hope:candle

Edited by Cully

waiting at the bridge Connie Van Teddy & Jojo, Cobra

Guest Winterwish

I wish I could come help you both too. I'm very sorry your sweet boy is having difficulty Jan. Hopefully at some point the steroid will begin to help him. :grouphug:hope

Could you possibly have him lay on a rug or blanket and you pull the blanket outside w/ him on it?? :dunno If you have stairs, then no ideas at all...

Connie

Connie that's such a good idea.

Guest Hotwire

No advice, just good thoughts. Hope had a similar thing last year, but it was only affecting one hind leg, so she just needed extra support, and I had to help her place her foot so that she wasn't knuckling. I hope everything turns out well.

Guest VelvetEars

I know how frustrating and scary it is.

Did they give him any thing for pain or an anti-inflammatory other than the steroid shot? Or oral steroids to get you through until Monday?

When Jane had her stroke, she couldn't walk at all, or she'd try to and staggered, knuckling under, until she fell down. Carrying her was our best bet, but if Mac's in that much pain, it won't be easy on either of you.

I don't know how you feel about this, but can you confine him to a room, put a shower curtain down on the floor, and put down puppy pads or old towels, and encourage him to just go there? That way, you can worry about just helping him into position where he is, rather than possibly injure him worse by trying to move him several times/day?

Knowing how bad my back has hurt in the past (when I've had "something" out of place and couldn't stand up straight), moving was excruciatingly painful. The more he can rest in one place and not move, the better, I think.

You might try moist heat on his back --- if you have an old cotton tube sock, fill it about 1/2 full with uncooked slow-cook white rice, and tie a knot in the end. Microwave it for 1 minute, and then knead the rice to distribute the heat evenly. Wrap it in a cloth or hand towel and lay it on the injury for 20 minutes at a time.

Feel free to call me if you want - I'll PM you my digits.

Edited by VelvetEars

I may be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure that NSAIDs are supposed to be used in conjunction with steroids. FWIW....

Hope Mac is feeling better soon,

DD

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

Guest tobinhr

We went to the video store tonight ( I picked up a heating pad for Mac too) and when we came home he was standing!

Jonno (my DS) said he took a few steps on the carpet. His paw knuckled under but Jonno said he self-corrected. Then he hit the tile floor (which he hates) and he went down. My husband will be home in about an hour. With two of us, carrying him and out should be easy. (I usually can do it, but with all the carrying I have had to do today...my arms are toast.)

So maybe time and a potty break or two will tell the tale. I am feeling a bit more optimistc. Jonno and I are inflating an air mattress so we can be near him tonight.

Jan

Mac, the getting better?

Guest VanillaBean

Hi! Sounds like the shot is helping! Thank Goodness! just an FYI, heat will inflame an already inflamed area, which in turn will make it more painful. :grouphug to Mac!

I don't know how you feel about this, but can you confine him to a room, put a shower curtain down on the floor, and put down puppy pads or old towels, and encourage him to just go there? That way, you can worry about just helping him into position where he is, rather than possibly injure him worse by trying to move him several times/day?

Or a dog bed or whatever, covered with a tarp or shower curtain, topped with some sheets or big beach towels...?

Fantastic to hear he was standing!

If you have to move him on your own, you can make a quick litter with PVC pipe; make a frame that looks like a blocky number 8. Wrap in beach towels, and figure out some way to put wheels on the bottom (easier said than done). Looks a little like this:

first-aid-compact-stretcher-wheels-stairs-s.jpg

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

I agree with the muzzle first! Kona lost use of her back legs and got nasty from pain. I tried to help her and she bit through my thumb. Not like her at all! So be careful. Pain makes them do awful things sometimes.

What I found helpful with Kona was a doggie life vest. It had a handle on it and mesh around the whole under torso so it pulled more evenly. I could help her with that. Yet it was soft on them. They have them at pet stores.

We will keep you guys in our prayers.

The Girls

Mac! You are making a great many people very unhappy tonight. You usually you are the deliverer of laughter not tears.

I wish I had some practical advice. I can only offer prayers and white light.

Missing my sweet girl Scout. My snuggler, my chow-hound, my kissy girl.
It never thunders at the Bridge, and your food bowl is ALWAYS filled.

So strange not living in Atty World. I was a love struck handmaiden to your every whim.

We had to carry Ryan in and out. He'd yelp, but it was the only way since he couldn't do the stairs on his own and had a hart time getting up or down on his own as well.

And a trip or two a day to the vet for injected pain meds to help the pill form.

Guest longdogs

I can't see an immediate alternative to muzzling and using a sling. I found I had to use a sling in two steps. The first step was to twist the sling (towel) behind the dog, over the thighs and tail, then lift and push up to raise the hind end via the pelvis. I'd then slip my arm underneath to support the dog and allow me to reposition the sling under the loins so I could hold from above. Nugget didn't find being hauled to her feet from a sling under her tummy very comfortable. Keeping my fingers crossed for you.

:grouphug :grouphug I would find an Acupuncture Vet and get him in promptly.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Guest tobinhr

Well, it's 1:30 a.m. and we are doing the Happy Pee Dance!

Jonno woke me up and said, "Mom, he needs to pee." Rather than the backyard we laid rugs to the front door. (Not like he was going to run away...) And he got up and walked out! Not perfectly, not gracefully, but he walked. Then he peed a river. :thumbs-up:yay:thumbs-up:yay We helped him back in with a towel sling (ahead of his tuck) and he didn't whimper a bit.

Jonno, my husband and I probably looked ridiculous, practically cheering him on!

He's back on his bed by the fireplace, his paws crossed. :wub::wub:

Jonno and I are going to watch another movie.....(Oh, and I have to feed the cats...I fogot :blush )

Jan

Mac, the incredible pee machine

Guest vahoundlover

That sounds very promising! Boss lost use of his backend two years ago. Helping him get up was the hardest part of getting him well. We put his bed in the middle of the room so we could access him from all sides. He hated the sling under him and pulling him up so my vet showed us how to slide our hands/arms slid under him and our chest helping to keep him stable, lift him up..once we got the hang of it, it was so much easier. If you have an acupuncture vet nearby please look into it. I firmly believe Boss would not still be with us without acupunture. When he walked, it was like watching a drunk...we put rubber backed mats down on all slippery surfaces (they are still down) Holding his tail to help him use it like a rudder really helped keep him from staggering all over the place. Boss was initally at the vets for a 1.5 wks, we never thought he'd be as far along as he is today.

I hope this makes sense, I'm not fully awake yet. :rolleyes:

Sending lots of prayers!

Guest VelvetEars

So glad he seems to be improving. After Jane's stroke, we did the front door thing, too. It wasn't like she was going anywhere either, and the steps off the front porch were wider and straight, unlike our curving, narrow stairs to the back door inside the house (old house). Safer for all of us that way.

Prayers for continued improvement today! Hope you all got some sleep.

How's he doing this morning?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.