To All......thanks For Redirecting Me

Guest 4gryhnds

Guest 4gryhnds

:rolleyes: I am obviously new with how forums operate. I did not realize how passionate people would be when I started the topic about Rocky yesterday. After I did it, I thought that I made a big mistake. Wow, there were a lot of posts. I was warned about the "flames". I must say that most everyone spoke with their heart. Rocky and I received a lot of great suggestions, thoughts and prayers. I needed time to sort things out and look at our situation more objectively. I am glad I put it out there. It was not a mistake. I do not have to make a decision about anything right now. Rocky is comfortable being at home and loved by us. I can see now what a foolish idea rehoming is. Although Rocky loves people, there is nothing like family! I have adopted many greyhounds over the last 10 years. Several were seniors in the last year or so of their life. Norman was diagnosed with bone cancer 1 month after he came into our home. I have and continue to do all the not so nice things that are part of taking care of these guys as they decline. I would never have suggested rehoming Rocky for convienience sake! At the time I posted, I truly felt that he would not be able to have quality of life in our home. All of your comments and suggestions told me otherwise.

Thank you,

Sue

I've been away from the board for a few days so I've only just seen this, and went to read the original post.

I'm so glad you decided to work around this. It sounds as if your house is a difficult one, but as the others have said, pee pad training could be the answer. My first greyhound peed on the floor almost every night for about a year. We dealt with it. :)

We have two now. One a relatively young dog (nearly ten) the other over thirteen. Neither of them do stairs, but we're lucky - the whole of the ground floor is accessible to them, and there is only a small sill at the back door to the (enclosed) garden. With health problems, I couldn't lift either one of them on a regular basis, particularly not right now, waiting for shoulder surgery. I do feel for you.

You have had people tell you it would be difficult to find a home for Rocky, but in fact, that's exactly the type of dog we do take on. I'm a sucker for the oldies. :wub:

But it's so much better that sweet Rocky stays in the home he loves with people he loves, and who love him.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

OH......that's WONDERFUL news! Knew you'd find it in your heart for the RIGHT decision :yay

Sure Rocky won't mind using puppy pee pads (his dignity will still be intact) ;)

Run free our beloved Sir Snowy, Pip, Queenie, Sadie, Tess & Rosie until we meet again......I would rather feel the thorn than to never see the rose

I read your initial thread, there were no flames, everyone posted from their heart like you said.My first thought after reading your post was....what are you crazy? But I have learned that unless I am walking in your shoes, I have no right to judge the situation. Clearly, you love Rocky and with enough advise and ideas from people here who know, you will do the right thing for him. Good for you!!

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

You were (and are) in a very difficult situation. It was obvious to me from what you wrote that you loved Rocky very much and were trying to think things out with some input. It can be painful and exhausting to watch our greys decline with age and illness, especially with your house not having an easy, workable space. Give Rocky a hug for me - I'm glad he will be spending his last days where he feels the most love and with his own family! :)

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

I am glad you have worked it out.

A thought, baby mattress waterproof pads are awesome! Much larger than a pee pad and wonderful floor protectors. WalMart even has them for twin beds that just lay on top. Not the kind that wrap around the mattress. Very easy to clean! Or put pee pads on top in case. That way if he misses you are still covered. :)

The Girls

You were (and are) in a very difficult situation. It was obvious to me from what you wrote that you loved Rocky very much and were trying to think things out with some input. It can be painful and exhausting to watch our greys decline with age and illness, especially with your house not having an easy, workable space. Give Rocky a hug for me - I'm glad he will be spending his last days where he feels the most love and with his own family! :)

:nod:nod

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

great news! you had mentioned acupuncture, which did wonders for my heart dog after she had a stroke. that seemd like a good idea, as do so many of the other suggestions that were made.

good luck and it's great that you'll all remain a family :)

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Great news! If you have to go with the piddle pads you may want to consider making a "litter box" using a kiddie wading pool. The pads go inside and you can cut a lower opening in the front for the dog to go in. A little bit of the dog's own pee in there should give him the idea.

Good luck! Keep us posted!

I must say that most everyone spoke with their heart. Rocky and I received a lot of great suggestions, thoughts and prayers. I needed time to sort things out and look at our situation more objectively. I am glad I put it out there. It was not a mistake. I do not have to make a decision about anything right now.

At the time I posted, I truly felt that he would not be able to have quality of life in our home. All of your comments and suggestions told me otherwise.

I'm so glad you got what you needed. And the maturity you've shown in reaching out and dealing with the range of answers you got is inspiring. Really. Many people would have become angry and defensive.

One of our pups, just turning 8, is a big guy and raced too many times (114). He's showing back-end weakness and we realize he's been having stiffness and discomfort for a long time but handling it stoically. Our vet recommended a sports-rehabilitation vet in our area who's certified in acupuncture and chiropractic. He had his first treatments this week and showed improvement the very next day. He has to return weekly for some indeterminate period of time, after which the frequency of treatments will decrease, maybe even to monthly. Each treatment is $65. I don't know if this is even possible for you, but I know this kind of treatment has made big differences to many dogs, and our vet has seen it too, which is why she made the referral. Of course, your pup is at a later stage of the problem, so it might not have as much benefit, but it's something to consider. (Times like this I wish this forum had a mechanism for donating to other members for medical treatments. If sending you $65 would help you with this, I'd send it and say Merry Christmas!)

Lastly, I really want to thank you for posting. I know in time our dog will reach the same stage yours is in. The rehab vet says that "when he goes down, he's going to go down hard." And our house has several levels, lots of stairs. So we need to start figuring out what we'll have to do, and it's comforting just to remember that we won't be the only ones who have ever had this problem. So I hope you'll post updates on your experiences, strategies, and progress. I'm sure I'm not the only one who will still be thinking of you after today. :wub:

Mary, and a special woof from Spencer :gh_lay

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Guest 4gryhnds
I must say that most everyone spoke with their heart. Rocky and I received a lot of great suggestions, thoughts and prayers. I needed time to sort things out and look at our situation more objectively. I am glad I put it out there. It was not a mistake. I do not have to make a decision about anything right now.

At the time I posted, I truly felt that he would not be able to have quality of life in our home. All of your comments and suggestions told me otherwise.

I'm so glad you got what you needed. And the maturity you've shown in reaching out and dealing with the range of answers you got is inspiring. Really. Many people would have become angry and defensive.

One of our pups, just turning 8, is a big guy and raced too many times (114). He's showing back-end weakness and we realize he's been having stiffness and discomfort for a long time but handling it stoically. Our vet recommended a sports-rehabilitation vet in our area who's certified in acupuncture and chiropractic. He had his first treatments this week and showed improvement the very next day. He has to return weekly for some indeterminate period of time, after which the frequency of treatments will decrease, maybe even to monthly. Each treatment is $65. I don't know if this is even possible for you, but I know this kind of treatment has made big differences to many dogs, and our vet has seen it too, which is why she made the referral. Of course, your pup is at a later stage of the problem, so it might not have as much benefit, but it's something to consider. (Times like this I wish this forum had a mechanism for donating to other members for medical treatments. If sending you $65 would help you with this, I'd send it and say Merry Christmas!)

Lastly, I really want to thank you for posting. I know in time our dog will reach the same stage yours is in. The rehab vet says that "when he goes down, he's going to go down hard." And our house has several levels, lots of stairs. So we need to start figuring out what we'll have to do, and it's comforting just to remember that we won't be the only ones who have ever had this problem. So I hope you'll post updates on your experiences, strategies, and progress. I'm sure I'm not the only one who will still be thinking of you after today. :wub:

Mary, and a special woof from Spencer :gh_lay

:paw From "Grey pup" to "Still wet behind the ears", Thank you so much for the offer! I could not accept it, but it was very generous of you. I really appreciate your comments. Yes, I will post updates. I am really hoping that acupuncture will help. My vet had told me that even though Rocky does not appear to be in pain, he may be very stoic and hide it. He put Rocky on Tramadol in addition to Rimadyl. Rocky seems to be doing a bit better on the stairs this weekend. Food is a great motivator also!