I Feel I Am Losing Ember

Guest EmbersDad

Both you and Ember are in my thoughts and prayers.

Remember that she will pick up on your emotions so try to stay upbeat around her.

Please do not second guess yourself, everything you have done, you have done out of your love of Ember.

:grouphug:grouphug:grouphug:grouphug

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There have been so many answers already but we wanted to add our thoughts for you too - first off, don't ever regret the decision to amputate - you made this decision out of love and trying to do the best possible choice for Ember. The first few weeks are always the hardest and you go back and forth, should have, shouldn't have - it's no different from picking petals from a flower for he loves me, he loves me not - you did what was best for her and what would give her the best chance at a full and pain free life. For that, she will always be grateful. There are always good and bad days, but there is light at the end of the tunnel, she gets around, pees, poos, drinks. The eating can be difficult sometimes - but the magic windows at most drive throughs usually take care of that. Our Angel Vinnie loved Carls Junior after his chemo - and most don't like to eat - but he would always take a couple bites and that got him going for the rest of his meal. He also loved chicken livers cooked in butter with onions, spaghetti, waffles and eggs - some really unusual foods. But it got him to eat. If he was in pain, he didn't like to eat or if his tummy was upset from the meds - we always made sure to give him his meds after he ate as this helped coat his tummy. Oh and maple brown sugar oatmeal with butter and raspberry sherbet - good for you both!

Just keep taking the baby steps and before long you will see how far you have truly come. And after getting her stitches out she may feel much better. We had an issue with the tape around Vinnie pulling his skin - it almost ripped his skin when we were getting it off - once it was off, his appetite and smiles came back. It will get better.

Sending extra healing prayers and hugs and scritches.

Tom have never had a leg amputated so no advice but when Her Majesty Queen Softee decides she is not eating for us (remember she is 15) we put out a buffet for her. We have to put it on human dishes and not paper plates. We give her 2 or three varieties of canned food, 2 or three different dry food, scrambled eggs, tuna, cat foot and some human food. We just let her pick and eat what she wants also Liver Brownies.

1 pkg muffin mix

1 lb chicken liver

1 clove garlic

2 eggs + shells

Put everything in a food processor and pulse till thoroughly mixed. Pour into a greased & floured rectangle pan. Bake at 350 until done. Can freeze, refrigerate cooked brownies. I usually freeze about 3/4 of them and pull them as needed.

This receipe was sent to me when Softee was sick and has worked wonders getting my hounds to eat.

We have had toes amputated due to cancer

So plenty of :grouphug:grouphug:grouphug

It is better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all

Missing my Big Blue eyed Bear

Tom, if you can get it, you might consider venison. I have never had a dog refuse venison stew. With all this support, I would imagine that when Ember does start eating, she's going to wonder why it took you so long to get the message! Please let us know when you get that first burp of contentment! Hugs and prayers for you and Ember. Hang in there - both of you!

Edited by duncan41

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Someone just mentioned to try and give Ember Venison. I'm located in Wilmington DE and would be willing to donate a pack of ground venison. Not sure how far away in NJ you are located. But we can meet up later tonight or Friday night if you would like.

It's a doe (last year) from a organized hunt in NJ, so the deer's main diet was corn so it's not too gamey tasting. It's just one little bag of it so we can't really make a meal out of it. I was saving it for Rainy, but I think Ember would enjoy it more. :) Plus it'll lite a fire under DH butt to refill my freezer this year!

I have my email up all day at work jgeiger2006 at gmail dot com (quickest way to reach me until 5pm) After 5pm cell # is 610-800-9693

Jess

------

Jessica

Guest HeatherDemps

I can't remember- has Ember started chemo (I'm at work, so I can't read through all the messages right now....)?

I remember going through a lot of ups and downs when it came to eating. At one point, we did just use Ensure. And I gave in and fed plain double cheeseburgers from McDonalds. My regular vet thought I was nuts, but it never caused problems on top of what the chemo was already doing. Also, when Dempsey started chemo, we started giving him a Cernia pill after the treatments because his appetite was always knocked out. We also gave him Pepcid every day to help with any tummy upsets.

Keep hanging in there..... sorry you and Ember are going through this now....

Don't waste your time doubting your decision. Try anything and everything you can to get her to eat, and enjoy every moment you have with her.

Best wishes for both of you.

gallery_15455_2907_595.jpg

Christie and Bootsy (Turt McGurt and Gil too)
Loving and missing Argos & Likky, forever and ever.
~Old age means realizing you will never own all the dogs you wanted to. ~

i just read this thread and it's breaking my heart. please never doubt your decision. you did what you felt was best for Ember and you had her best interests at heart.

it hasn't been very long since her surgery. i'm sure things will improve and both of you will return to your old selves :grouphug

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Guest argolola

Sending prayers and lots of hugs for your precious baby. As others have said, try to stay upbeat, as she is sensing your emotions. God bless you both.

I would love to send you some of our liver treats, aka doggie crack, but I don't think it would get past the border, unfortunately.

Sending warm gentle hugs to you both, and know that anyone who loves their greyhound as much as you do could never make the wrong decision. It's just a rough patch.

:grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

CAMP GREYHOUND

Tempo (Keep the Tempo), Nora (Road Noise) & Gabe the babe (Gable Habenero), Cooper (Uncle Bud's Coop), Topper (Red Top), & Galgos Lisette & Manolito. Missing our beloved angels Cody (Kiowa My Dodie), Lou (Cantankerous Lou), Romi (FingerRoll), Connie (Devie's Concord), Millie (Djays Overhaul), Bailey (Hallo Forty nine), Andy (Iza Handy Boy, and Rocco (Ripley Rocco), Gracie (VS Megan), Eragon the Longdog, Joey (WJS Flashfire), Roy (Folly and Glory)

Definitely do not doubt your decision. Ember has hit a rough patch which is not surprising after what she's been through. She will bounce back and you need to stay as confident as possible with your decision, it was the right one for her.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest EmbersDad

thank you everyone for your continued support. these dogs are amazing. not only has she bounced back from this, we walked 8 blocks last night. jess and her wonderful boyfriend supplied us with some venison from the kindness of their huge hearts and ember is wolfing it down, along with her usual evo kibble and canned num nums. she greets me by the bed in the morning when i get up, and is waiting by the front door with a wagging tail when i get home. all this may be short lived as she starts chemo tomorrow, but i am hopeful this will be just a minor bump in the road.

thank you everyone for your continued support. these dogs are amazing. not only has she bounced back from this, we walked 8 blocks last night. jess and her wonderful boyfriend supplied us with some venison from the kindness of their huge hearts and ember is wolfing it down, along with her usual evo kibble and canned num nums. she greets me by the bed in the morning when i get up, and is waiting by the front door with a wagging tail when i get home. all this may be short lived as she starts chemo tomorrow, but i am hopeful this will be just a minor bump in the road.

I'm so glad she likes it! Hopefully it'll help keep weight on her for the chemo. :)

------

Jessica

Tom, I'm so excited for you and Ember! :yay

Just wanted to warn you though, don't be surprised or disappointed if the chemo causes Ember to stop eating like she has been lately. I'd ask tomorrow if they can you give something for the nausea, just in case. Better safe than sorry. ;) We'll be thinking about both of you. :goodluck