I Feel I Am Losing Ember

Guest EmbersDad

Guest EmbersDad

hopefully someone who has been thru this will chime in and make me feel better. i honestly feel i am losing ember, she refused breakfast again, but did eat a liver treat smeared with peanut butter (hiding tramadol). she was sleeping in my computer room, and did not get up for me. she also winced and wimpered when i tried to pet her. i rang my doorbell, and she got up and we went out to p. she has eaten very little in the past few days and looks like crap, waay too skinny, but i dont want to put too much weight on her. i sat out a chicken breast from the freezer, and her guardian angel said she would defrost it and boil it up and try to get her to eat. i really hope this gets better, i dont want her to be miserable and the twinge of second guessing my decision to amputate is starting to manifest. i saw what kidney cancer did to my dad, rotting him away from 150lbs to 70 when he passed. he was miserable for the last year and a half, and i will not let the same happen to ember. the stitches are scheduled to come out tomorrow at noon. this has got to get better.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Redpack

Sorry, no experience there. I didn't get the chance. I do know that Robin posted something very similar about Polli in earlier days and seems to be doing so much better. I hope that is true for you. I'll be thinking of you and Ember and hoping she improves. :bighug

Edited to remove duplicate.

Edited by Redpack

There are always dark days after surgery.... just you watch.. she'll bounce back in no time and you'll wonder why you ever doubted it.

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

Doubt is a cancer in it's own right. Please don't let that consume you. Second-guessing past decisions won't change what's happening right now. That will only torture you and rob you of the confidence you need to help Ember through this. Try to take each moment as it comes. Easier said than done, I know. All too well, I know.

gallery_4518_2903_2157.jpg
~Aimee, with Flower, Alan, Queenie, & Spodee Odee! And forever in my heart: Tipper, Sissy, Chancy, Marla, Dazzle, Alimony, and Boo. This list is too damned long.

Guest EmilyAnne

While I have never gone through a dog of mine having cancer or an amp, I have endured watching a dog of mine go through a very painful surgery, and during the recovery I totally regreted doing the surgery and spent the next several nights crying myself to sleep with him by his side on his bed. Well lo and behold, several weeks later, he was bouncing around and as happy as could be, and feeling much better than I had seen him in years, and I was So glad I had opted for the surgery! :colgate

Just give it some more time. The hard part just isn't over quite just yet, but that doesn't mean it will never end. :grouphug

Guest WhenIGiveIn

Its still new and this is a hard time after the surgery. All dogs are different and each one will snap out of things differenty. I would talk to the vet about the pain meds, some pain meds can have different effects on dogs sometimes helping and sometimes hindering their progess. See what the vet says about trying something else. Sometimes even a more mild pain med doesnt have such mood changing side effects that the dog over all feels better and will start to get back to normal.

As far as not eating is she drinking? Even with a dog loosing weight hydration is more important that food. If she will drink it try a vanilla ensure, it will give her nutrients and since its "special" she may like it.

Can you call Glynis? Winslow swims today, I think this morning.

Start offering anything and everything. Canned 95% meat, boiled hamburger, etc. I'll get some salmon biscuits out as soon as I can.

Will she eat milk bone biscuits? Try peanut butter sandwiches. This is not the time to worry about what she should or should not eat :)

She knows how you are feeling. Try being upbeat and happy no matter how hard it is.....

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Guest Morgaynn

I have never been through this with any of my dogs. But with following the threads on other hounds (Like Polli) I agree with the folks that have already posted.... She'll bounce back... Keep her hydrated and feed her favorite foods if she'll take them... The medication shes on may be causing hunger suppression or upsetting her tummy. Definately talk to her vet tomorrow when you take her in. :grouphug:hope and healing thoughts for Ms. Ember.

I agree with Diane, offer anything that she will eat, no matter what it is. When Cujo was very very sick last year, he ate anything he wanted, if he wanted something on my plate, I gave it to him. There at the end he was eating grilled fish from Red Lobster because that is all I could get him to eat.

Big hugs to you. I know this isn't easy and I think it is human nature to second guess our decisions. Ember knows that you made your decision with love and she will bounce back from this.

:grouphug

2 Hounds Design Martingale Collars | 2 Hounds Design Facebook Page

2HDgtSiggy2-2_zpsebfc14a9.jpg
Alisha, Bob, Livvie (the 2.5 year old!) plus Mia Bella, Tippy, + Wahoo and Diesel the crazy kitties (and missing sweet Iceman, Paradise, Bandit, Cujo & Sebastian) in Indian Trail, NC

Guest EmbersDad
Its still new and this is a hard time after the surgery. All dogs are different and each one will snap out of things differenty. I would talk to the vet about the pain meds, some pain meds can have different effects on dogs sometimes helping and sometimes hindering their progess. See what the vet says about trying something else. Sometimes even a more mild pain med doesnt have such mood changing side effects that the dog over all feels better and will start to get back to normal.

As far as not eating is she drinking? Even with a dog loosing weight hydration is more important that food. If she will drink it try a vanilla ensure, it will give her nutrients and since its "special" she may like it.

yes, drinking water isnt a problem thank dog!

Guest SoulsMom
Doubt is a cancer in it's own right. Please don't let that consume you. Second-guessing past decisions won't change what's happening right now. That will only torture you and rob you of the confidence you need to help Ember through this. Try to take each moment as it comes. Easier said than done, I know. All too well, I know.

What she said :grouphug

Come on Ember maybe once those itchy pulling sutures are out you will feel more like moving around and getting your appetite back.

Two weeks post surgery a lot of internal healing is going on.

I agree that maybe a change in pain meds might be worth a try, and there are liquid meal replacers your Vet may carry. (Enteral Care is one I know of)

Keep the faith as we are all rooing for you. :clover

Molleigh-and-Snowy-sig2.jpg

CAROL & Molleigh (Queen Molly)
My Angel Girl (Slippy's Molly) ~ Thank you for sending me your namesake ~

Guest trevdog

Hang in there.....I haven't been through an amp, but it does sound like she's going through much of what everyone else's grey has. Feed her whatever she seems interested in right now, she may prefer some bland foods or something smelly. Maybe try some meat baby food heated up? I know mine ate that with gusto when they refused all other morsels. And she still may be feeling the effects of the meds too.

Sending you both some hugs......

Guest lizmego

Doesn't Cynthia Branigan mention in her book about feeding grilled ham and cheese sandwiches to her greyhound when he wouldn't eat? Feed them whatever they will eat.

Guest ctgreylover

I don't know about cancer and the amputation. I wish I could give you and ember a gentle hug. My Tony was off once and would not eat. I added canned chicken broth to his kibble and warmed it in the microwave. try boiled rice and anything she found delectable. chicken hearts and livers? go to a deli and get a small about of every spreadable meat and let her lick it from your finger. It might get her to eat, and she is getting it from you!

Good luck!

When Brandy wouldn't eat, we tried anything and everything. She ate Vienna sausauge, canned salmon, tuna and tripe. Try the gravy you add onto dog food. I think it is Purina, but, you buy it in the supermarket. It comes in various flavors.

Come on Ember, we are all pulling for you. Don't make your Dad sad. He wants you to get better. Heal, baby, heal.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Sierra didn't have cancer, but she refused to eat a few weeks back and I sure thought that I was going to lose her.

I began to feed her with a big syringe. I blended up bland food (chicken, hamburger, rice, cottage cheese) to a liquid form and feed it to her several times a day. It really turned her appetite around d in a matter of days. I also added a bunch of nutritional flakes to the mixture. She gained her appetite back in a few days and turned around. She refused everything. She also lost so much weight and dehydrated from diarrhea. She also liked the "satin balls" recipe. I gave her some children's pedialite unflavored through the syringe. She didn't fight me on feeding her, she accepted it rather well and would lick out the dish while I fed her. I got the big syringe at Petsmart. It was very easy to do and if I can help, PM me.

I sure hope your Ember gets feeling better soon.

Edited by stlgrey

I found the following recipe for coaxing a sick dog back to eating in the book Holistic Guide for the Healthy Dog,

1/2 lb of beef or chicken liver

2 cups of Willard or spring water

"Put ingredients into a saucepan and bring everything to a boil. Stir the liver until cooked through, about 4 minutes. Take off stove and cool. Put through a blender or food processor until it is a soupy mixture. If not soupy enough, just add more water.

Suck some of this mixture into a turkey baster. With you dog at your side, head parallel to the ground (elevating head will cause gagging), gently squeeze a small amount of the mixture into the side of his mouth. Go slowly, and he will swallow. For a medium size dog about a 1/2 cup of this mixture two to three times a day is sufficient. Liver is full of vitamins and amino acids, which help the healing process. Once you start the eating behavior, most dogs will start to eat on their own. In the transition period, use the liver mixture poured over his food."

I'll be keeping Ember and you in my thoughts.

Judy,

Mom to Nadir, Beanie, Bruiser,

and foster Jolly Mon

I have no experience with your situation so no advice there, just good thoughts for you both.

I did have to go through multiple surgeries with Scarlett though for accidents that ripped her open. In order to be sure she ate, I ordered out, I bought things I thought might tempt her (canned chicken a la king was a hit, as were chunky soups). I ordered in chicken and steak fajitas, bland chicken or beef Chinese food, whatever it took. I had Russian friends who used to give me caviar, not sure how nourishing it is, but she sure did like it. If she wanted the food on my plate, my plate went on the floor.

You are doing your very best for her. Trust yourself. Trust your decision. Know that we are all out here praying for you both and pulling for you.

I'm not sure what you mean about not wanting to put too much weight on her, but I wouldn't worry about that. Once she's eating again (whatever she wants to eat,) she'll feel better and will be up and about.

I might also have them check to make sure she doesn't have an infection.

Tami, Nikki & Gypsy (non-greyhounds, but still pretty good dogs.) Deeply missing Sunscreen Man, Angel (Back on the Job), Switzler Festus and Joe (Indio Starr)

Tom~

You can refer back to my PM which we had going this morning but I also want to add not to compare Ember to your Dad. I know it's hard not to compare, but please, try not to.

Ember needs to heal at Ember's pace, not yours or anyone else's. Do you remember I thread I started where I flamed MYSELF for pushing Polli. http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php?showtopic=213342&hl=

I had realized I was pushing Polli. Polli too needed to things at her pace. Not mine. She was depressed and I was wondering the same thing you are now.

Once I took that approach, everything changed. Polli emerged the way Polli wanted to.

There are still times I could strange her (and the other 3) but more than not, I am in awe at how far she has come. We still have a long way to go, but that's OK.

Take it one day or one hour at a time.

I will get the tripe out to you tomorrow.

hugs.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project