Ember Is Home!

Guest EmbersDad

So glad to see Embers beautiful face and to hear that she is home. May she heal quickly and uneventfully. Sending lots of healing prayers your way. BTW, we used the non-sticking gauze pads and vet wrap to provide some non-pressuring padding around our Angel Vinnie's amp area and then put the t-shirt over for the first week or so, just to give him a little padding in case he ran into anything or got bumped by someone. I admit it, I'm a wuss on the pain yelps, but could take care of the surgery site area no problem - go figure! Rest while she does, if you can. Sending very gentle hugs and scritches.

yes, Polli was brought home in a danskin tight sort of sweater with non stick gauze pads too. After day 3, I cut it to lossen it as it was very binding and then I cut it off of her and put her sweet pink tee shirt on. She did not ooze or bleed on the gauze so we stopped the gauze by day 5 or so.

We keep the tee shirt on so that she is not tempted to lick. She has disolable stictches, does Ember?

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest 4baddogs

Oh, she melts my heart! Love her stoner eyes in the first few pics. :blush

When Zoe had her bionic leg surgery, I bought a ton of kids size 6x long sleeve t-shirts at Goodwill and cut the arm off the side she didn't need. I also slit the neck so that it fit better over her neck and shoulder area and they worked like a charm. Recently when her leg problems resurfaced, I bought more shirts and found that she's smaller now, 8 years later, so she's only in a kids size 5 - LOL. Her fave is a Little Mermaid sweatshirt. :P

I can't wait to follow Ember's progress and pray for her healthy recovery!

Guest EmbersDad
So glad to see Embers beautiful face and to hear that she is home. May she heal quickly and uneventfully. Sending lots of healing prayers your way. BTW, we used the non-sticking gauze pads and vet wrap to provide some non-pressuring padding around our Angel Vinnie's amp area and then put the t-shirt over for the first week or so, just to give him a little padding in case he ran into anything or got bumped by someone. I admit it, I'm a wuss on the pain yelps, but could take care of the surgery site area no problem - go figure! Rest while she does, if you can. Sending very gentle hugs and scritches.

yes, Polli was brought home in a danskin tight sort of sweater with non stick gauze pads too. After day 3, I cut it to lossen it as it was very binding and then I cut it off of her and put her sweet pink tee shirt on. She did not ooze or bleed on the gauze so we stopped the gauze by day 5 or so.

We keep the tee shirt on so that she is not tempted to lick. She has disolable stictches, does Ember?

no, im scheduled to return in 2 weeks for stitches to be removed., so here is a question, how did you get the tee shirt on polli? did you do it while she was lying down? i guess that is the only way it can be done now. how about bathing? ember will probably need a bath after she is all healed up. some of her fur feels a bit funky on her back legs.

A little warm water and baby soap on a wash cloth will clean the funk off of the back end. No need to worry about a bath for a while. Bo used to love having her face washed with cool water on a wash cloth. She'd stand in the bathroom while I was in the shower and wait for her turn for a quick wipedown...We are thinking of you and Ember tonight and hoping that Ember sleeps the sleep of the innocent, comfortably wrapped in that snuggly blanket. Good night Tom. Sleep well too.

L.

large.rycezmom_Sig.jpg.c7b7915d082b1bb35
The more I see of man, the more I like dogs. ~Mme. de Staël
Missing my Bridge Angels Ryce, Bo, Jim, Miss Millie, Miss Rose, Gustopher P Jones (Pimpmaster G), Miss Isabella and Miss Star

Guest FullMetalFrank

What a strong, brave girl. I cannot help but be in awe of how tough these dogs really are. Heal quickly, sweet girl, we are thinking of you!

Darcy was very long haired at the time of her surgery and we had to do 'bed baths'. I can't begin to tell you what fun that was with a very surly, uncooperative Deerhound :rolleyes:

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

What a sweetie! Like others say, she has such a sweet face. That is great news she is home as she will be much more comfortable. Our healing thoughts are with Ember and you as you travel this journey. I want to see her face for years to come!

The biting and thrashing got me to laughing as I was thinking what a strong spirit she has.

Edited by Charlies_Dad

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest GiJenn51

Arnicas gel for swelling and bruising. It also helps with soreness too. As for bathing, you might even want to try a light soap with conditioner, or a light epsom salt mix. That always does the body good!

How is she this morning?

I just joined Circle and have been following her progress and so glad you have her home she will certainly be more comfortable with you. Such a beautiful girl you have. Hugs and white light from Her Majesty Queen Softee and family

It is better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all

Missing my Big Blue eyed Bear

Continued prayers for her complete recovery, strength for you.

I'm a little overwhelmed when it comes to them having cancer. I'm glad she's home.

Guest EmilyAnne
no, im scheduled to return in 2 weeks for stitches to be removed., so here is a question, how did you get the tee shirt on polli? did you do it while she was lying down? i guess that is the only way it can be done now. how about bathing? ember will probably need a bath after she is all healed up. some of her fur feels a bit funky on her back legs.

The greyt thing about greyhounds, is a damp paper towel can get them quite clean. Henry's rear is often covered in fecal matter when he has his Grand-mals, and I am able to get him all cleaned up with just lots of damp paper towels. :)

Guest EmbersDad

well, we are thru day 1

she slept till 3 am and then stood up. i asked her if she wanted to go out, she just stood there. a few minutes later she plopped back down, gave a contented sigh and a groan, and went back to sleep

5:30 am, she stood up and began to whimper, we went outside and she went potty. i think she pooed ( see 830 update). gave tramadol meds as instructed. the interval grew by 90 min.

8:30 am, she stood up, and we went outside. big p next to what looks like a small pile of fresh poo. never thought id be reporting on that!!! :lol

back in and back to the rack.

9:30 am. up and outside, no potty. boiled a hamburger and cut it in half. mixed it with some kibble/canned and shredded cheese. she ate most of it. gave her metacam and a cookie.

9:42 she wants something, off to figure it out. cya soon

10:07 am...figured it out :lol

5czk2e.jpg

Edited by EmbersDad

Awwww...Beautiful girl you are doing SO GOOD! :wub::grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Brooke's vet said that if I gave Brooke hydrotherapy before her sutures were out, then I was to" take petroleum jelly(vaseline) and really glob it over the sutures. It'll keep the moisture out and then it can be wiped off.

Denise & Strider, Blake, Fields, Frank, FlippyDoo, and Momma Gail.

The Bridge Angels Zack(Ags Marble Chip) 4/25/93-2/16/06, Wanda(Rainier Rowanda) 12/14/94-06/09/06, Brooke/Boogers(Rainier Restive) 01/01/99-10/20/08, Warlock(Rainier Rammer) 4/29/99-10/01/09), Patsie(Frisky Patsy) 5/17/96-2/05/10, Hatter(Cals Madhatter) 6/3/00-3/11/10, Dodger(Rainier Ransack) 4/29/99-4/16/10, and Sparkle(Okie Sparkle) 11/8/2000-1/28/11

Like I said, our stitches are desolvable so no issue there.

The tee shirt. Make sure it goes over the leg First while lying down and then stretch it over the head as you can't do one leg and then the other! Careful not to rub the incsion area. Once it's on, it's on.

Bathing is a non issue here as well. She is really clean all over. If there was an issue, i would just "spot clean" her.

I bought tees at old navy. They have tees for dogs. The large fits good. They are $5.00 each.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Guest EmbersDad

Like I said, our stitches are desolvable so no issue there.

The tee shirt. Make sure it goes over the leg First while lying down and then stretch it over the head as you can't do one leg and then the other! Careful not to rub the incsion area. Once it's on, it's on.

Bathing is a non issue here as well. She is really clean all over. If there was an issue, i would just "spot clean" her.

I bought tees at old navy. They have tees for dogs. The large fits good. They are $5.00 each.

i tried to put a tee shirt on her this am. she wanted nothing to do with it and started thrashing and tried to bite me. soo...no tee shirt. i will just kep my eye on the stitches, and if she starts messing with them...time for the radar dish.

Sorry about the tees. Ember knows what she likes. Polli likes the girlie thing and is used to her jackets etc so it was a non issue!

Do you have stairs in your house?

Like I said before, I think Ember knows exactly what she wants/doesn't want. She wants Dad all to herself and she doesn't want to be "messed with". Aaww! What a couple of cutie pies! ;)

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Guest EmbersDad
Sorry about the tees. Ember knows what she likes. Polli likes the girlie thing and is used to her jackets etc so it was a non issue!

Do you have stairs in your house?

nothing that bad. its a 1 floor ranch with a finished basement. to come in the front door, there is 1 step to the porch, then 1 step inside. to go out into the back yard. you step out of the kitchen thru the french doors, onto that landing, then1 step, then you are on the patio and into the yard. ember has been negotiating them without any trouble. the kitchen floor is vinyl, but i put down a runner rug that leads to the door so she has something to walk on.

Sending lots of healing thoughts and wishes for a speedy recovery...and lots of happy years together :colgate

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross