Good Thoughts Needed

We have an appointment at Tufts tomorrow to try to get to the bottom of what is going on with my Catwalk, and Dr Couto is reviewing all her records this afternoon also. It doesn't look too good.

Our regular vet has already warned me that it still could be the pancreatitis we were treating but wasn't getting better, some auto-immune disease attacking her organs or, of course, cancer, or something else. We could use some healing thoughts here.

I haven't posted about this before, because it *seemed* minor at first, and I expected nearly everyone to be having a wonderful time at Dewey anyway. Some may remember me from my posts under my old screen name -- 2whitegreys. I'm Gillian in Massachussets with Catwalk, Pilgrim and Murphy P, usually posting about suspicious lumps and Therapy Dog activities.

I'll post an update here tomorrow pm, but I'm not sure how often I'll be able to get back to this thread before then. I've stuck a brief description I wrote out of what has been going on below in case anyone finds it helpful. I'm a wreck, and writing it out helped stop me bawling my eyes out. Well temporarily, at least.

Many thanks in advance,

Gillian.

Two weeks ago -- Catwalk apparently a happy healthy 7 year old greyhound. October 4th, had what seemed like a minor tummy upset (vomited twice and some minor diarrhea), went off food temporarily, home cooked chicken and rice the next day, no big deal. Eating normal food Monday, a bit picky but eating. But rapid (really rapid) weight loss. About 8lbs melting off in 4-5 days.

Last Wednesday -- our vet ran all the usual blood/urine tests including the specific pancreatitis screen. FYI, my vets office is fantastic and very knowledgable about greyhounds. Diagnosis -- mild pancreatitis of unknown cause. She is not high risk, and had not got into anything greasy, is on decent food, is not obese, etc, but that is what it looked like. So we treat for pancreatitis. Friday she vomited again twice and has had sub Q fluids every day since to stop her from dehydrating, even though the vomiting stopped.

Today -- Running the blood and urine tests again yesterday shows she is getting worse not better, thus the consultations. I don't have the numbers in front of me yet, but let's just say that the results are dramatically worse than last week. Looks like her liver and kidneys are now compromised too.

Gillian
Caesar (Black Caesarfire) and Olly (Oregon) the Galgo

Still missing: Nell (spaniel mix) 1982-1997, Boudicca (JRT) 1986- 2004, and the greys P's Catwalk 2001-2008, Murphy Peabody (we failed fostering) 1998-2010 and Pilgrim (Blazing Leia) 2003-2016,

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest greytmonty
We have an appointment at Tufts tomorrow to try to get to the bottom of what is going on with my Catwalk, and Dr Couto is reviewing all her records this afternoon also. It doesn't look too good.

Our regular vet has already warned me that it still could be the pancreatitis we were treating but wasn't getting better, some auto-immune disease attacking her organs or, of course, cancer, or something else. We could use some healing thoughts here.

I haven't posted about this before, because it *seemed* minor at first, and I expected nearly everyone to be having a wonderful time at Dewey anyway. Some may remember me from my posts under my old screen name -- 2whitegreys. I'm Gillian in Massachussets with Catwalk, Pilgrim and Murphy P, usually posting about suspicious lumps and Therapy Dog activities.

I'll post an update here tomorrow pm, but I'm not sure how often I'll be able to get back to this thread before then. I've stuck a brief description I wrote out of what has been going on below in case anyone finds it helpful. I'm a wreck, and writing it out helped stop me bawling my eyes out. Well temporarily, at least.

Many thanks in advance,

Gillian.

Two weeks ago -- Catwalk apparently a happy healthy 7 year old greyhound. October 4th, had what seemed like a minor tummy upset (vomited twice and some minor diarrhea), went off food temporarily, home cooked chicken and rice the next day, no big deal. Eating normal food Monday, a bit picky but eating. But rapid (really rapid) weight loss. About 8lbs melting off in 4-5 days.

Last Wednesday -- our vet ran all the usual blood/urine tests including the specific pancreatitis screen. FYI, my vets office is fantastic and very knowledgable about greyhounds. Diagnosis -- mild pancreatitis of unknown cause. She is not high risk, and had not got into anything greasy, is on decent food, is not obese, etc, but that is what it looked like. So we treat for pancreatitis. Friday she vomited again twice and has had sub Q fluids every day since to stop her from dehydrating, even though the vomiting stopped.

Today -- Running the blood and urine tests again yesterday shows she is getting worse not better, thus the consultations. I don't have the numbers in front of me yet, but let's just say that the results are dramatically worse than last week. Looks like her liver and kidneys are now compromised too.

OMG I am so sorry to hear this. We are LITERALLY in the middle of the same thing with Monty. I have a thread running. I hope your girl gets better soon.....

are they giving her anything besides subQ fluids? pepcid? antibiotic? was she on any medication before this started?

sending prayers :hope :hope

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

Sending my prayers and white light. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Gillian,

I'm so sorry for what you and Catwalk are going through. Please let me know how things go at Tufts for Catwalk. I'll be thinking of you and hoping and hoping that Catwalk gets better soon.

Pat Hall

(I'm close to you here in Ayer, so if there's anything I can do to help please let me know.

Thanks all, for all your support. I apologise for not doing individual responses, but I'm going to have to be quick because I need to give Catwalk some serious loving. I'm looking at a horribly sick skeletal dog here. So fast. From healthy to really sick in <10 days.

I will have to check out Monty's thread, and my best wishes for him, if my response gets lost in the shuffle there.

The horrid thing with this is that the onset was so *nothing much.* She might have lost a couple off lbs over the summer, but we all are more active and drop a few pounds over the summer.

We've all had a dog gak up stuff sometimes haven't we? We've all had the odd soft poop? She had no explosive diarrhea or vomiting. Just a little upset tummy, and a bit off her food. I'm a person who rushes to the vet when in doubt. I did that when she started melting weight off in 4 days after a *minor8 tummy upset.

are they giving her anything besides subQ fluids? pepcid? antibiotic? was she on any medication before this started?

sending prayers :hope :hope

Many thanks for the heartfelt prayers, but nope, nope and nope.

Catwalk was the picture of health. On no meds. She had one day of diarrhea on October 4, but other than that her poop has been normal.

She has vomited maybe 5-6 times total over 10 days. With pancreatitis (and she was not a typical presentation but that was what the bloodwork said) the standard treatment is fasting to rest the digestive tract and then gentle reintroduction of low fat food.

Since October 8, on one day she has been ravenously hungry, the next refusing food. Her poops have been normal since the 4th.

I've been hand feeding tiny amounts of low fat food hourly to lessen the chance of vomiting.

Hard to do when your hound is shrinking before your eyes.

I'm anticipating the worst here, but I know Catwalk's regular vets have gone above and beyond for her. They came in over the holiday w/e just to give her fluids and spare us the E-vet costs. Sometimes bad things happen to good dogs, conscientious owners and excellent vets.

Please continue positive thoughts for my beloved Catwalk. She is so very sick.

Thanks again,

Gillian

Gillian

Still missing: Nell (spaniel mix) 1982-1997, Boudicca (JRT) 1986- 2004, and the greys P's Catwalk 2001-2008, Murphy Peabody (we failed fostering) 1998-2010 and Pilgrim (Blazing Leia) 2003-2016,

Guest SoulsMom

Sending good thoughts to you and your girl. Have any ultrasounds been done to take a look at what might be going on in there? I'm a big believer in getting an ultrasound done sooner, rather than later, after what recently happened to my bosses dog. He'd had daily vomiting and a few bouts of the Big D. After weeks of this, he vomited five times in one night. When the blood tests showed that his liver was failing, he was rushed to Tufts for an ultrasound. It showed a ruptured gall bladder. Riley almost died, and spent a week in the hospital after his surgery because the toxins caused him to develop pneumonia.

I hope Tufts can get to the bottom of this for you. :grouphug

Again, many thanks all. Another combined response to GT

Pat, I'll PM you in a moment, but thanks so much for your offer of help. I think we were posting simultaneously. I'm sure you agree that our mutual vets are wonderful.

No, Soulsmom, no ultrasound yet. Almost certainly tomorrow at Tufts.

Thanks to all,

Gillian

Gillian

Gillian, you and Catwalk have my prayers. I am relieved that you have the best vets in your corner. Hang in there.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Guest poopsie1

Oh Gillian, I'm just now reading this. I am so sorry Catwalk is so sick. It was just the other day I was looking at the pics of her and Pilgrim and Stanley. She's so beautiful and I'm sitting here bawling reading your post. I'll be praying for you both today. Please let me know if there's anything I can do to help. Love and hugs from me and Stanley. :hope:grouphug

Thinking of you this morning and sending more prayers. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

Again, thanks to all. I wish it were better news.

Catwalk is at Tufts over-night and possibly longer. I was not too surprised because from the look of her yesterday night and this am she just can't be an out patient any longer. She is getting worse by the day. At least Tufts can put her on a IV and manage her pain. Yep, she is now in serious pain but was gakking up the tramadol pronto. Not good, because I had to try to keep her hydrated.

She had chest Xrays today, clotting counts, and will have an ultrasound also tomorrow. And a slew of other aspirations (depending on the clotting count) and tests, including for Lepto. Pancreatitis, gall bladder issues, cancer, Lepto, foreign object . . . who knows right now?

Even though I had anticipated that she would probably need to be hospitalized, and thought I had the British stiff upper lip firmly in place, I wept all over the Tufts vet. Sweet lady.

She gave me a hug and told me that dogs can recover from pancreatitis, but I have a very bad feeling about this. Let us hope my instincts are wrong.

I'm supposed to get an update from Tufts tomorrow morning. I'll keep you posted.

And thank you so much for caring! It means so much!

Gillian.

Gillian

Sending more prayers that all tests are negative for anything nasty. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg