Black Widow Bite...

Guest newmama4Cooper

Guest newmama4Cooper

Cooper just discovered the biggest black widow I have ever seen here at work, and I am pretty sure he just sniffed at it and then I noticed him and got him away from it. BUT, if I had not, I just want to ask if anyone has had experience with spotting the bites and what to do if they are bit. We have them all over the shop, so I just hope they mind their own.... Thanks for any advice/experience you may share.

Megan & Cooper

That's a big problem here in the desert.If the dogs are ever bitten, I would get them into the vet. Obviously the best thing to do is get rid of them. Good luck!

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

We have them all over the back yard. Never been bit myself, nor has Lisa. None of the dogs have ever shown signs of getting bit. When I find them, I remove them. They just don't seem to be that big of a threat in my experience.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Am I the only one reading this post with my feet pulled up off the floor? Yikes! Wherever it is you live, may I say I'm glad I'm in ND??!!

Good boy, Cooper, for not attacking That Which Must Not Be Mentioned.

gallery_14387_3165_6886.jpg

Patsy and DH with the Humane Society specials, Linus & Jazz, in North Dakota

When I lived in Arizona, I had Orkin come once a month. We had black widow spider webs/eggs hanging from the eaves, inside holes in the ground, in our brick fence - everywhere.

Mary in Houston

Everyone has a photographic memory, but not everyone has film.

LAND OF THE FREE BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE

Many years ago our old dog got bit by a spider - I can't remember what kind but it was not a black widow. She was given benedryl.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest IrskasMom

Yikes ..... I hate Spiders period . But also I would ask your Vet ,what the first Aid Procedures would be in Case of a Bite. He

could maybe save you some time to get him to the Vet if Neccesary . Cooper ....you are a smart Boy not to eat/ tease this

Spiders. I have Goosebumps just reading this Post !

Guest Elaine

A friend of ours runs a vet clinic here in Albuquerque. They recently had to put a dog down because of a brown recluse bite. I've not seen a brown recluse, but I'm not sure I'd recognize one if I did see it but they are here. A man we know, lost his leg due to two brown recluse bites. Any spider, which is suspected of being a brown recluse, dies.

Black widows are commonplace here. As someone else has said, they're everywhere. Webs in the rock wall, under a bucket, under flower pots, in the garage, etc. Widows are known to be shy and usually don't act aggressively, UNLESS they are protecting an egg sac or are being molested. Around here, I'll not take a chance with a poisonous spider. If the black widows are anywhere where the dogs can access them, the spiders die. Widow bites are dangerous for the elderly & children. Considering the size of our dogs, which is similar to a child, my guess is that the bite would be dangerous to them also.

We've other spiders, orb weavers like the yellow & black garden spider (really cool looking web with a zig zag pattern in the middle) and an orange one that I've not positively ID'd yet, ground dwellers like tarantulas & wolf spiders, etc. The orb weavers & tarantulae I'll not bother.

Elaien

Guest EMcElfresh

Brown recluse spiders are small, about the size of a typical house spider, and brown, but are easy to spot because they have a very dark brown shape on their backs - in the exact shape actually, of a violin.

Just FYI.

(another vote for "happy I live in cold New England and don't have anything worse than house spiders, whose bites are awful enough thank you very much!")