Smitty

Guest skinnydog

Guest skinnydog

Smitty deserved better than the lame post I gave when he passed.

Smitty deserved better than the life he was given before he came into rescue.

Smitty deserved better.

I am not a writer, but I'm going to try and do better than what the old guy got.

There was a posting on a greyhound group's rescue page about 4 senior dogs that needed homes. I sent an email to the rep, wondering what was going on. Honestly, I thought the dogs were being shipped up from the states, and I was a bit pissy about it - did they really need to ship seniors so far? When I found out the dogs were at Calida, everything changed. If there were any that didn't have a place to go, there was a spot on my couch.

There was one. Loose Socks, aged 10 years. But, he had some issues, I was told. He was quite shy, and had been attacked as a younger dog, resulting in a damaged esophagus. Besides that, he was in poor health. Issues? Those aren't issues, I thought. Those are minor bumps in the road. The wheels were in motion, and Loose Socks was on his way.

Now, I had to tell Wade. I wasn't sure how Wade would feel about an old, sick dog coming in. Frankly, I didn't care - that dog was not going to die alone at the track. He was coming here. When I told him, Wade just sighed, and smiled. I'm pretty sure he rolled his eyes, and made a face, as soon as my back was turned.

As luck would have it, I was able to arrange transport for Loose Socks right to my door. I watch my friends' grey, Garth, when they go out of town. They happened to be coming back right at the time Loose Socks needed a ride!

After what seemed like forever, he was finally here! They opened the car door, and out came the skinniest, stinkiest dog I had ever seen. He had no muscle tone, and you could see every bone in his body. His mouth really smelled like death. Shy? No way. He marched into my house like he owned it, and strolled into the back yard to check things out.

Once everyone had left, Wade and I surveyed what I had done. "His name is Smitty", Wade told me. Smitty was somehow the perfect name for him.

Smitty was not immediately loved by all members of the family, although he tried. He tried to eat the cats, but they wouldn't run. Besides, me saying "SMITTY NO KITTY" in the VOG, almost crushed him. He tried to say hi to Crispy, and had a LWB almost hanging off of his muzzle. He tried to hump Lucy - no luck there, either. And the smell. OMG, the smell. When you walked into our house, it stunk like we were hiding a body. However, because he was so underweight, it wasn't safe for him to have surgery.

It didn't take long, and Smitty had everything figured out. The cats were off limits, and LWB didn't like him. He could hang out with Lucy, but no humping. He even figured out to stop sticking his head in my makeshift fence, and pulling it down. His appetite was great, so the weight was coming back. The stench was still with him, but I didn't care. Smitty wanted to love on me, and give me kisses, so I let him (with my head turned, and my breath held). One day, he discovered how to make a squeaky toy squeak. That was all he wanted to do. Squeaky was his constant companion.

Once he was feeling better, though, things changed. He forgot the cats were off limits, and he took a run at Crispy. I couldn't risk my original pack, and Smitty would have to leave. He was going to stay with us until he was recovered from surgery, then it was off to his new home.

The night before his surgeries, I had a horrible feeling he was not going to make it. But, I couldn't leave his mouth the way it was, and I dropped him off at the vet's. I kissed his nose, and scratched his ears, and told him to go with the lady. He followed her without hesitation.

That afternoon, I got "the call". "I have some bad news". I said something about coming down there, and ran out of my office. He looked so peaceful when I saw him.

The day I got Smitty's ashes was the same day I got my plate. I had won the plate in an auction fundraiser for the vet bills from the Calida dogs' bills. To say I lost it when I opened the package was an understatement. Sitting in my entry way, Smitty's ashes in one hand, plate in the other; bawling my eyes out.

I'm sure that Smitty and Clarence are there with Gramma Girl, talking about how much life sucked at Calida, and how great it was after they left. It doesn't make it any easier for me.

Smitty, I'm sorry. I'm sorry you had to race until you were in double digits. I'm sorry I didn't get to you sooner. I'm sorry I didn't have you for longer.

Guest hannahmom

It sounds like Smitty ended his days know what it was to love and be loved

What a wonderful gift you gave him, teaching him about the world and preparing him for a home.

I'm so sorry he had to leave you

:grouphug

I didn't think your first post about him was lame at all. I'm glad you came and told us more about him, tho.

It's hard to type thru this many tears. I'm so sorry he didn't make it through surgery to come back home to you.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

But you gave him the ultimate gift of unconditional love and a forever home. I am sure he understood and is grateful for you. You could not undo his past, but you made his present Heaven. Now he will watch over you from above knowing what true love is. :grouphug

The Girls

But you gave him the ultimate gift of unconditional love and a forever home. I am sure he understood and is grateful for you. You could not undo his past, but you made his present Heaven. Now he will watch over you from above knowing what true love is. :grouphug

What she said.

Hugs to you.

Elphie, Kulee, Amanda, Harmony, Alex (hound mix), Phantom, Norbet, Willis (dsh), Autumn (Siamese) & Max (OSH) & mama rat, LaLa & baby Poppy! My bridge kids: Crooke & Mouse (always in my heart), Flake, Buzz, Snake, Prince (GSD), Justin & Gentry (Siamese), Belle (Aussie/Dalmatian mix), Rupert (amstaff) and Fred, Sirius, Severus, Albus, George, Hagrid, Hermione, Minerva, Marilyn, Wren, Molly, Luna, Tonks, Fleur, Ginny, Neville, Bill, Percy, Rose & Charlie (rats)

Guest boondog

Well said. He passed on knowing love. Bless you for taking him in.

I am so sorry.

Thank you for sharing Smitty's story and thank you for loving him in his final days.

Smitty is smiling down upon you thanking you for everything you did for him.

Godspeed Smitty, you are greytly missed.

:f_red:f_red:gh_run:f_red:f_red

Guest brandi007

I'm so, so sorry Marti - I cried so hard when he passed, he was such a sweet guy the night he stayed with me. A good boy at home, a good boy in the car and Sophie absolutely loved him, I think she saw a little bit of Foxy in him. Those poor Calida dogs - I'm sure Foxy is hangin out with him also, as I'm sure they hung out a the track. It's so hard to lose them so early but thanks so much for giving him a loving place to be and letting him give you stinky kisses. It was so wrong that he had to stay there for such a long time and so wrong that he only got to enjoy retirement for such a short time, but it does sound like with your help he did enjoy it. I have a few photos of him if you wanted me to email them to you. Lots of good thoughts for you and your family.

Run free handsome man!

Guest LolasMom
It sounds like Smitty ended his days knowing what it was to love and be loved

Thank you so much for caring. :heart

Godspeed brave little man :f_red

:weep :weep :weep

You're a good person. I'm so sorry Smitty is gone. Thank goodness he had you.

Sending many hugs. :grouphug :grouphug

:f_white

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Guest greytfulhounds

:cry1:grouphug I am so very sorry. Smitty left this earth knowing the touch of a loving hand and knowing he was important to someone. Thank you for being his angel. :angelwings

Godspeed sweet boy.

:f_red:gh_run:f_red

Guest Vinnie

We are so sorry that you lost your sweet Smitty so soon after teaching him all the wonderful things about a forever home and being loved, stinky breath and all. Thank you for sharing his very special story. Sending hugs to you & your family. Run free sweet Smitty.

Smitty got the best that he could have ever gotten in the short time he was with you. Not to worry; he knew he was well loved.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest NSGREY

Thank you for caring for an old guy like Smitty....you really did make a difference. I'm sure he's very glad that he got to experience what it was like to be truly loved for him and not for how much $$ could make for someone :(

I can think of nothing else to say but :grouphug for you & Godspeed for Smitty.

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

I am so sorry. You have given Smitty a beautiful gift...he now has a family to watch over and wait for at the Bridge. :grouphug:f_red

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

I know you could have loved him longer, but I know you couldn't have loved him more.

I am very sorry.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project