E-collars

DustysMom

Dusty has a dental yesterday and "something" removed from under his eyelid. (We won't know until Friday if it was malignant.) Last night he left his eye alone but this morning he won't stop rubbing it. I didn't want to put an E-collar on him because he had one on in the past and went bonkers, but I don't think I have a choice. He has it on but is panting like crazy and won't lie down even though his legs are shaking and he so wants to. I'm hoping he'll adjust in a little while. I had to close his crate door because he can't get in with the E-collar and it hitting the crate would totally do him in. Anyone have any advice?

I have a bichon who has worn an E-collar VERY frequently due to bad allergies. She's so used to it she uses it to scoop the greyhounds food out of their raised feeders :blink: Maybe I should have her show Dusty how to lie down with it on? :lol

The panting might be from pain and/or the stress of wearing the collar. Was he given any pain meds?

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

I used a life preserver style collar when Argos had ear surgery, to keep him from rubbing it. It wasn't perfect, but it worked. It can be hard to keep it on because of greyhounds' skinny heads - you have to pin it to his regular collar. I found it online, here soft e-collar

gallery_15455_2907_595.jpg

Christie and Bootsy (Turt McGurt and Gil too)
Loving and missing Argos & Likky, forever and ever.
~Old age means realizing you will never own all the dogs you wanted to. ~

Is his e-collar CLEAR plastic as opposed to white or frosted? If not, call your vet and ask if they have a clear one. Usually helps a bunch.

If your vet doesn't have one, other vets in the area might, or even petsmart.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I used a life preserver style collar when Argos had ear surgery, to keep him from rubbing it. It wasn't perfect, but it worked. It can be hard to keep it on because of greyhounds' skinny heads - you have to pin it to his regular collar. I found it online, here soft e-collar

Unfortunately this won't stop him from using his front foot to rub his eye. He grooms himself like a cat - licks his front foot/leg and cleans his forehead down over his face. :blink:

Is his e-collar CLEAR plastic as opposed to white or frosted? If not, call your vet and ask if they have a clear one. Usually helps a bunch.

If your vet doesn't have one, other vets in the area might, or even petsmart.

Yes, we did get the clear kind. He's still standing/panting. He wasn't panting like this before the E-collar went on so I'm assuming it's not pain related.

Thanks for the responses. I'll let you know how many hours it's possible for him to stand :lol

Guest Greensleeves

Nelly was in an e-collar for FIVE WEEKS last fall for an aural hematoma. The vets told us that almost all dogs throw a fit for the first 24 hours, and then settle down just fine. The problem is that big dogs = bigger e-collars, which can be even more stressful. If he's not injuring himself with the panting/pacing, and you can stand to bear it out, that might be the solution.

However, you might try the Comfy Cone. It would not have worked for Nelly's ear (which needed the protection of the hard-sided e-collar), but we swear by ours for short-term stitches, allergy ears, etc. No dog of mine has complained about it in the slightest. YMMV, of course, but they come HUGELY recommended here!!

Not sure what kind you have on hand and maybe your pupper doesn't want any kind no matter the type BUT, I have been using this Comfy Cone on Rizzo since April with surgeries and chemo. Sometimes he has it on for days on end and he sleeps, eats, roaches and everything. We tried 2 others (plastic and large vet supplied papery type) that he wouldn't wear, but this one he does.

Good luck!

John E had two malignant tumors removed from his eyelids and was in an e-collar for more than five weeks. Also, the stitches scratched John's cornea, so, he wound up needing drops for his eyes too. I attached the e-collar to a regular dog collar and it held on that way. I took it off for walks and feeding, where it was necessary to keep all four feet on the ground. He wasn't happy, but it was important to keep the collar on.

Good luck and I will think good thoughts for Dusty. Photos of John E in his collar.

JohnEecollarcrate.jpg

JohnEecollar1.jpg

I do miss this boy.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest mleekramer

I had a horrific wound on my grey and it was suggusted to get a bite-not collar. it's 6 inches wide and doen't have the cone thing going on. I've also had to muzzle when houdini figured out how to get around the bite-not. I had been loaned one by a local grey owner, so I don't know where to purchase. Best wishes!

Greensleeves and Rooroo, what size Comfy Collar did you buy? My poor Shadow has been in a muzzle off and on for months trying to get him to leave his knee alone (surgery to remove a tumor). We've tried everything else except the Comfy Collar. If it works, I'd love for him to wear that instead. Thanks! :)

Jenn, missing Shadow (Wickford Big Tom), Pretty Girl (C's Pretty) and Tori (Santoria)

Guest azlorenz

Poor Dusty!!! I was so hoping he would leave them alone since he is such a good boy. When I had my Lasik years ago they gave me these lovely metal fly eyes to tape on at night. Too bad I still don't have them or I'd send them over for you to try. Would doogles drive him absolutely nuts too?

The bite not collar is great when you're trying to keep them from chewing on stitches, but when it comes to wounds on their head and face, it doesn't help.

I think you just need to suffer through the adjustment period with the e-collar. Argos was in one for over a month once, and he hated it but made his peace with it.

gallery_15455_2907_595.jpg

Christie and Bootsy (Turt McGurt and Gil too)
Loving and missing Argos & Likky, forever and ever.
~Old age means realizing you will never own all the dogs you wanted to. ~

Guest Greensleeves
Greensleeves and Rooroo, what size Comfy Collar did you buy? My poor Shadow has been in a muzzle off and on for months trying to get him to leave his knee alone (surgery to remove a tumor). We've tried everything else except the Comfy Collar. If it works, I'd love for him to wear that instead. Thanks! :)

You know, the one we bought wasn't for a grey--but I think the advice is to measure from the collar to the hound's nose, because you need the Comfy Cone to extend past the nose for it to work (so you'd need one of the bigger sizes). They close by long strips of Velcro, and they attach to a regular buckle collar through loops of elastic, so they're super-adjustable--I know it can be hard to fit a regular e-collar on a grey b/c of their long, skinny necks and long, skinny heads!

Rooroo, do you have better advice?

The bite not collar is great when you're trying to keep them from chewing on stitches, but when it comes to wounds on their head and face, it doesn't help.

I think you just need to suffer through the adjustment period with the e-collar. Argos was in one for over a month once, and he hated it but made his peace with it.

I agree. Zuma, our neurotic whippet, just recently had to wear an e-collar for 2 weeks after having surgery on her lower eyelid and she hated, hated, hated the e-collar. But, if I tried leaving it off, even for a few seconds, her paw went directly to her eye. Batmom suggested the clear e-collar and that helped some. The Bite-Not won't work for situations involving the eye.....the dog's paw could still get to the eye and rip stitches out. Those soft e-collars wouldn't work for Zuma either....she would be able to get her paw at her eye.

I think you'll just have to grin and bear it and keep the e-collar on. It took Zuma a few days to feel a little more comfortable in the e-collar, so you may need to give it a little more time.

Believe me, I feel your pain. For almost 2 weeks, Zuma would BOLT through the house with the e-collar on if a noise bothered her. It scared me a few times......I was worried she would catch the e-collar on something and hit her eye. Luckily she didn't, but I had also brought home some Acepromazine from the vet in case I needed to sedate her a little. I never used it, but it would have been my last resort with her.

Paula & her pups--Paneer (WW Outlook Ladd), Kira & Rhett (the whippets)
Forever in my heart...Tinsel (Born's Bounder - 11/9/90-12/18/01), Piper, Chevy, Keno, Zuma, Little One, Phaelin & Winnie
Greyhound Adoption Center ~ So Cal rep for Whippet Rescue And Placement

For beautiful beaded collars, check out my Facebook page: The Swanky Hound