Oh, God. Now It's Rusty.

Guest Greensleeves

Guest Greensleeves

As if the trauma of Nelly having yet more bloodwork on Monday to tell us just how high her kidney values have spiked in the last four days, and facing the prospect of sending her back to the hospital for more IV fluids this week... Now the entire right side of Rusty's face is completely swollen. He looks like a bull terrier on that side--I'm not kidding. DH has taken him to the e-vets, because we just don't want to wait until tomorrow to find out if it's "just" an abscessed tooth.

Back in July, he got in a little scuffle with Flint, and took a tiny little bite on his eyebrow. The next evening we noticed that he was kind of teary and his cheekbone looked a little swollen--maybe a bite? Maybe an abscessed tooth? (Two of his littermates have had dental abscesses on the exact same tooth, so it wouldn't be a huge surprise.) By the time the vets saw him the following afternoon, a lot of the swelling seemed to have gone down, and none of us could decide if the cheekbone was swollen or just naturally larger than the one on his left side. Doc put him on antibiotics for 10 days or 2 weeks (and normally I could remember how long and what they were--probably Amoxicillin), and we re-checked him 2 weeks later (July 30) and he was absolutely fine. We also had his vaccinations and full blood panel done then--and everything was normal.

Ugh. Of course it's Sunday, and of course it's DH's and my wedding anniversary, and of course we don't have anything left in us at all to deal with this, but we've got 9 other dogs here besides Nelly. This is an awful reminder of just what and how quickly things can go wrong.

Please say prayers that it's *just* an abscess or maybe a spider bite or something that can be treated with relative ease... and that whatever the treatment is (particularly if it's surgery to remove the tooth) goes well. I had a friend lose a cat this week to a cancerous tumor they thought was an abscess. I'm not ready to lose my terminal kidney dog--let alone one of her kids who was fine this morning. :weep :weep :weep :weep :weep

Well, crap.

Fingers crossed, toes crossed, legs crossed, chanting prayers right now. Keep us posted, OK?

Hope all will be well and your anniversary turns out to be happy all around.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

When it rains, it sure does pour! I'm so sorry it's all happening. Rusty is in our prayers and I hope you and DH will be able to enjoy your evening

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Sending good thoughts :candle

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

Guest Greensleeves

DH just called, and I guess Rusty is going to be OK.

Like Mommydog said, probably a bite/sting--probably from a spider--or a general allergic reaction to "anything." They said a snake bite would be very, very painful--and Rusty hardly seems to know anything's even happened. They checked the tooth all over, and can't see anything (plus, again, it's not painful--and abscessed teeth are terribly painful). They've given him a shot of Benadryl+Prednisone to bring down the swelling (in case it's a bite/sting) and a course of Clyndamicin (in case it's an abscess), and we'll continue to do the Benadryl at home.

DH says he seems fine, and the e-vets aren't worried. I guess that it's all OK, then, and I should just relax. Whimper.

Glad to hear that update. Whew. You can relax now, Stephanie, and have a happy anniversary.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Fingers crossed, toes crossed, legs crossed, chanting prayers right now. Keep us posted, OK?

The power of GTers!

I got here too late to say sting. Pegasus got stung once, his hair stood up on his back, he couldn't get his tongue inside his mouth. The Evet (of course it was after 6pm) gave him a shot of adrenalin & benadryl...by the time we got home, he was fine...$150 later that is.

Since then, I keep a bottle of benadryl around...ya never know.

Edited by Pipi5

I know how you are feeling...but...we got good news about Rusty. Hug your babes and your DH and try to have a nice evening. :grouphug My heart and prayers are with you.

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Going to the e-vet for something that appears to be minor is always better than going for something that isn't!!!!

Hope by this time tomorrow you'll all be scratching your heads, trying to figure out just where that swelling was.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Adding our chants and healing thoughts and hoping like everyone else that when you wake up you will wonder if it was all just a dream and he is back to normal. Sending hugs and scritches.

Our thoughts are with you. Hoping both come through okay.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.