General Procedure For Euthanasia?

Tracey

Guest gr8hound47

I am so sorry about Nigel. Our vet does the sedation, followed by the injection. Our vet come to our home and did it there. Which we found very comforting. We have done it at the vet and at home, and home was so much better for us.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You have my sympathy :( .

I had a very traumatic experience myself about 20 years ago, and it still haunts me to this day. Basically, the vet couldn't find the vein in the leg and was poking around trying to find it. He tried another leg and that didn't work either. The dog was screaming and struggling and then the vet, I think, injected him in the heart. It was awful and I have always felt guilty that I did not stand up for my dog and make it a better experience for him.

These days, I always tell the vet about that bad experience and that I want him to do everything possible to make it peaceful. If we are having it done at the surgery, we take a duvet in to make the dog comfortable and make sure he is relaxed first. We've never had a sedative, but if the dog wasn't relaxed I would insist on one. The vet always uses a very fine needle and seems to do the injection quite slowly. I am pleased to say that the last two times have been extremely peaceful.

Try not to be hard on yourself. You didn't know it was going to be like that and however horrible it was for you I'm sure it only lasted a few seconds for your dog.

:grouphug

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

I am very sorry to hear of your experience. The decision itself is painful enough, the process should be peaceful and a large part of that is how the vet works with you.

I truly believe it comes down to the vet, some really help the whole process and others are either too busy, have seen it all before, or may not be the vet who has cared for your animal so can't relate. Both recent experiences I have had have been peaceful, one at the e-vet where I knew I was losing my GSP (didn't know from what prior but I could tell - ended up being cancer), it was in a nice room designed for it and I got a chance to be with him for as long as I wanted. He was sedated, not asleep but calm, he was scared I think because he was a big baby in actuality. He went very peacefully, I had little choice in the matter. The last and most recent was for my heart dog, who at 14.5 struggled the last year of her life. We had the vet come to us and while she was sitting in the sun on her blankets we said our goodbyes and held her close, it was a peaceful experience and worked well for her and us. Was it 'perfect', no, but when is it ever. It was peaceful and she collapsed in my arms which I will never forget. We stayed with her while the vets left and cried and cried....it never goes away. The vet was very nice and very good, for that I am grateful. Both were given sedatives to help them relax.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Both with Benny and Yoshi, my vet used a sedative first, and then gave us some time with them. The experience was a peaceful as it could possibly be made under the circumstances. For Benny, we took him to the vet's office, and he scheduled us for the last appointment of the day, to give us time. For Yoshi, he actually came to the house, and he took his last breath in my arms in my living room. I'm sorry that your already horrendous experience of losing a pet was exacerbated by this :(:grouphug

Guest greyscot

I've had various animals euthanized over the years and they have all been different experiences. One vet came to the house and gave a sedative then the final injection. He even buried the dog in our garden for us as DH and I were so upset. It was all very calm and peaceful for the dog. One of my cats had two injections without sedation and again it was a peaceful passing, this time at the vets office. My last greyhound Chief had to be euthanized in the vet hospital. He had lost complete control of his rear end and it was discovered he had a spinal cord tumour. He was given one injection via an IV line which was already there for the pain meds they had been giving him. In this case death was instant and I mean instant. This shocked me and I still feel I never got the chance to say a proper goodbye even though I spent over 2 hours with him before the injection. I'm really sorry you had such a hard time with Nigel at the end but you did everything you could. I just think that vets are like everyone else - some are more sensitive to other people and animals than others. Take care of yourself. :bighug

I'm so sorry for your loss. After 3 years, I still feel like someone ripped out my heart, after losing my Max.

When we had to have our collie euthanized, the vet told us he would administer one shot to relax Max before the final injection. No-one ever told us that he would look so uncomfortable, with his head swaying back and forth, after the first shot. That image (almost 3 years later) is still so very vivid in my mind. My kids had to see it also, as they wanted to be there to say goodbye. It was horrible to see our beloved Max this way, for the final minutes of his life. It didn't seem like a peaceful way to go for him whatsoever, although the pain he was suffering was much worse for him I'm sure. I still get upset thinking about it. DH insists that he will NOT go to the vets when it's Navigator's time. I, on the other hand, will have to be there for my baby when it's his time, as I can't let him be alone.

I don't know how much it depends on the animal or on the vet but all of ours have been very calm and peaceful. My last girl Ragsy was pts inthe back of our car when she broke her leg badly and the vet reckoned it was not fixable at 14years old. I sat in the back with her and she had one injection in a front leg and she just went off to sleep very easily. I am so sorry for those who do not have such an easy passing but I am grateful to our vet that my last memory of Ragsy is of a peaceful 'sleeping' hound.

Sue from England

Guest KennelMom

We've been through this with three vets. Each vet has given us the option of a sedative and we have opted for it every time. Our current vet, who we've lost three greys with doesn't ask anymore, they just do it. They take us back to a room immediately and we arrange a comforter or blanket from home on the floor for our pup to lay on. We spend some time with them before the vet comes in to give the sedative. Then they leave and we spend some more time alone with our pup. After a while, they come back and gently ask if we are ready. We nod and they give the final shot. They have to stay until the heart stops, they offer their condolensces and leave us in the room as long as we need. I always leave the blanket and ask that they leave our pup wrapped in it. I assume that they do.

Some of our pups have benefited from the first sedative and some really haven't needed it. But, it's always best if an already difficult procedure goes as smoothly as possible for everyone involved. I'm so sorry Nigel's passing was so difficult :grouphug

The sedative they used made Simon a little bit agitated. I believe it is the same thing they use pre-surgery, and it makes all 4 of my hounds anxious instead of relaxed. I'm trying to figure out what to do in the future. One vet told me there is a different sedative, one that is more expensive but that might not make them anxious. This vet advised against going with no sedative because she said the second shot stings a bit, now I'm wondering about that too.

Tracey, I'm sorry that aspects of Nigel's passing were disturbing. :grouphug :grouphug

I worry a little about what it will be like for Spiff. Now I will double check with our vet to see what procedure he uses.

One experience with Spiff has given me an interesting new perspective on medical procedures though: When Spiff got sedated last spring for depo-medrol shots and teeth cleaning, the vet here let me stay the whole time! It was a little scary. It is a little strange how wobbly and droopy eyed Spiff got, and how he sort of struggled to stay awake... he jerked a couple of times, like you do when you're disturbed from the edge of sleep and jerk awake. And then he was quiet and relaxed and floppy. His tongue was hanging out. It was also a little strange as he began to recover from the anesthesia, sort of a reversal of his going under. This is the sort of thing that most Americans don't see, because we drop our pets off at the beginning of the work day and then pick them up on our way home.

I tell this story here, because I wonder if some of the effects that sadden us when observing a euthanasia are really just symptoms of anesthesia? But we aren't really aware of how it affects our pets, because we've never seen it during a routine procedure. For sure, my experience with Spiff's dental will prepare me if our vet uses anesthesia before euthanasia.

:grouphug :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

Guest DoofBert

Our vet administers a sedative and then the final shot when the family is ready.. Sir D's passing was peaceful.... however, a friend's GH, Zenna who saw the vet was a fighter... she would not let go until the very end. I think part of it depends ont he individual pet.

HUGs

Guest HersheysMom
Even though I've had pets literally all my life, I've never seen one euthanized before yesterday. When I was a kid, I wasn't present when it happened. When we had to put our Beagle Nigel to sleep yesterday I guess I was under the impression they usually give them some sort of sedative first? I thought I even remembered the vet mentioning it, but given my mental state at the time I'm really not sure what I heard or thought I heard.

Anyway, there was no sedative and the images in my mind of how the whole thing played out have me overwrought and wracked with guilt. I'm trying not to obsess about it, but the whole thing was very ugly. It was so far from the peaceful ending I wanted for him and I find myself crying for the fear and discomfort he felt at the end even more than I do his leaving us.

Knowing that with four other dogs in our family we will likely face this situation again, I guess I'd like to know well ahead of time what I can do (insist that the vet do) to make this less traumatic for my other furry family members when their time comes? Thanks.

I'm sorry :grouphug

Our vet does give a sedative first, but I was warned that we could witness noises, twitching, and other involuntary reactions, even with the sedative prior, so I'm not sure those things have anything to do with whether one or two are were given. I was told they are still out and unaware they are doing this. I never witnessed anything like that, so I'm not sure if this is what happened to you, but I hope that might make you feel better that it doesn't always have to do with the vet or if one or two shots are given. I do remember witnessing a blink reaction with Hershey, even though he was completely under, and was also told ahead of time that this is normal (it still makes you uneasy though)

I hope this and what others have said will help put your mind at ease.

I'm so very sorry for your loss and for the fact that Nigel's parting has left you with some particularly unpleasant memories.

I've twice been with beloved animal companions at the end of their lives. I have to confess that I was so distraught both times that I am not 100% certain what the vet said they were going to do. I believe that in both cases there was a sedative, then a period of waiting, then a final injection. One vet used IM injections for both (I think) and I believe the other used a catheter that was in place already. Both were peaceful deaths.

Having said that, I suspect that euthanasia is like most things medical--things usually go well, just as planned, but there is always an element of the unpredictable. Individuals react differently to medications.

Hugs and warm thoughts to you in this very difficult of times.

--Lucy

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

Guest jettcricket
Susan (Jumping George) said,
"In fact it was as if a bubble of pain burst from both of us."

I can so relate.

I always think of it this way, when they are being euthanized, they are experiencing a healing. They have souls, that live on forever. One day their bodies can't take anymore, and their souls need to be freed of their painful bodies. Souls never die, only bodies.

It just stinks though, that their physical lives on earth are so short compared to ours. :cry1

Very well put.

Me, my DH and Cricket were with Jett went he left this world and went on to the next....it was very peaceful and appeared to be an easy transition for him. I miss him with all my heart and soul.....Jett was my heart dog. :brokenheart

Guest LindsaySF
When we had to have our collie euthanized, the vet told us he would administer one shot to relax Max before the final injection. No-one ever told us that he would look so uncomfortable, with his head swaying back and forth, after the first shot. That image (almost 3 years later) is still so very vivid in my mind.

Sometimes they do that. :( When they are fighting the sedative and fighting to stay awake, they will swing their heads back and forth, twitch their muscles, once they get tired enough to lay down they might struggle to get up, swing their legs around, etc. Unlike a human, you can't explain what is happening to them when they are given a sedative, so some animals get nervous and fight the effects and try to stay awake. It's instinct for some of them to act like this.

This vet advised against going with no sedative because she said the second shot stings a bit, now I'm wondering about that too.

I think it burns a bit if they miss the vein. I'm not sure if it always stings when they get the vein. The dogs I have seen go peacefully did not seem to feel it.

When Spiff got sedated last spring for depo-medrol shots and teeth cleaning, the vet here let me stay the whole time! It was a little scary. It is a little strange how wobbly and droopy eyed Spiff got, and how he sort of struggled to stay awake... he jerked a couple of times, like you do when you're disturbed from the edge of sleep and jerk awake. And then he was quiet and relaxed and floppy. His tongue was hanging out. It was also a little strange as he began to recover from the anesthesia, sort of a reversal of his going under. This is the sort of thing that most Americans don't see, because we drop our pets off at the beginning of the work day and then pick them up on our way home.

I tell this story here, because I wonder if some of the effects that sadden us when observing a euthanasia are really just symptoms of anesthesia?

I think you're right, because euthanasia is like an overdose of anesthesia. Some dogs go right to sleep, some fight it. Some have weird twitching and seizing, some never have that. It all depends.

~Lindsay~

My warm and healing thoughts are with you while you come to terms of Nigel's passing. Try, I know easier said than done, to concentrate on the life of Nigel rather than the passing of Nigel. Do not beat yourself up, nothing good will ever come from that and you are a better person and dog owner than you think at this point. Promise. Nigel would not want to know that you are hurting over this particular circumstance.

Skye was still sedated at the time the final shot was administered, so I did not have to make a choice at that time for her.

Warmly,

Lori

Guest dwolfe711

We've had to send five greys to the Bridge. :cry1 It is never easy. :sad1 Our vet does not give the sedative shot, only the final shot. All of ours were ready to go except Elaine - she had battled osteo in her shoulder for about 10 months and it had spread to her other shoulder and probably elsewhere and when she could hardly walk on only a partial front leg and two arthritic back legs, we had to make the difficult decision to let her go. But she was very spunky and not ready to go - she did not go easily - her eyes were begging us not to let her go - and the experience is difficult to think about. :sad1 The other four - Toby, Red, Lizzy and Duncan - also had to be let go due to cancer - three more to osteo and one to hemangioscarcoma - but all four went peacefully without a struggle. Our experience with Elaine was much more difficult but I don't know how it could have been made any easier. She was just a fighter and was not ready to give up. :brokenheart I'm so sorry you had a difficult experience with Nigel :bighug

Donna

Guest jettcricket
We've had to send five greys to the Bridge. :cry1 It is never easy. :sad1 Our vet does not give the sedative shot, only the final shot. All of ours were ready to go except Elaine - she had battled osteo in her shoulder for about 10 months and it had spread to her other shoulder and probably elsewhere and when she could hardly walk on only a partial front leg and two arthritic back legs, we had to make the difficult decision to let her go. But she was very spunky and not ready to go - she did not go easily - her eyes were begging us not to let her go - and the experience is difficult to think about. :sad1 The other four - Toby, Red, Lizzy and Duncan - also had to be let go due to cancer - three more to osteo and one to hemangioscarcoma - but all four went peacefully without a struggle. Our experience with Elaine was much more difficult but I don't know how it could have been made any easier. She was just a fighter and was not ready to give up. :brokenheart I'm so sorry you had a difficult experience with Nigel :bighug

Donna

OMG....that's so sad. And, no it's never easy. :(

Every pet I've ever seen PTS, has always been sedated first. A friend of mine went through this with their girl. The vet opted not to sedate because she had been on high doses of pain killers and when they administered the anaesthetic, she screamed. It was a horrible experience for them. :(

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

When we lost Cujo last January, our vet gave him a sleepy shot and then waited a few minutes, he slept in my arms, and then she gave him the other shot. It was definitely very peaceful.

I am sorry your experience wasn't so great. It is already a difficult time. But know that he is peaceful and worry free now. And he had a wonderful life.

You are in my thoughts. :grouphug

Edited by 2hounds

2 Hounds Design Martingale Collars | 2 Hounds Design Facebook Page

2HDgtSiggy2-2_zpsebfc14a9.jpg
Alisha, Bob, Livvie (the 2.5 year old!) plus Mia Bella, Tippy, + Wahoo and Diesel the crazy kitties (and missing sweet Iceman, Paradise, Bandit, Cujo & Sebastian) in Indian Trail, NC

Guest jettcricket
Every pet I've ever seen PTS, has always been sedated first. A friend of mine went through this with their girl. The vet opted not to sedate because she had been on high doses of pain killers and when they administered the anaesthetic, she screamed. It was a horrible experience for them. :(

I don't know how true it is, but my vet said that the euthanasia shot can burn. My vet has always given them a sedative first.

We have had both good and bad experiences ....

When we had to put our Afghan hound Max down at age 14 it was a terrible experience & haunts me to this day. The vet we use only gives one shot (I didn't know you could do otherwise). Max was laying quietly when he gave him the shot, and then the vet left the room so we could be with him. The dog wouldn't die! Instead of passing quietly, his heart beat so loudly that you could no doubt hear it across the room .... it sounded like it was going to explode out of his chest! He fought the drug so hard that after a couple minutes the vet came back and had to give him another dose, to finally stop his heart.

I wanted to stop the process after the first shot .... my dog didn't want to die! It was so terrible to know he was fighting so hard to live and we were killing him.

When it came time to have to go through this again, 8 year later .... I really dreaded what I feared would happen again - but Pup on the other hand, passed quickly and gently with the one shot.

It's never easy --- but when they go quietly and peacefully it is a blessing.

gus-rainy-1.jpg?1449508527184&1449508632
CORY and CRICKET - Solitary Tremble & CASPER - Pj's Mia Farrow
* With CAPT. GUS - Solitary Trigger, RAINY - Peach Rain, PUP - Red Zepher, DOC - CTW Fort Sumpter
and MAX - Shiowa's Silver Maxamillion / Afghan .... all waiting at the bridge

Guest ChasesMum

I am so sorry that you had such a rough experience. That is not what the vets want either!

I have both assisted with euthanasias and had my own animals euth'd as well. Sometimes with one shot, sometimes with two, sometimes with a catheter sometimes not. Being who I am and the experience and comfort level with vet practices that I have I seem to be allowed more leeway. My vet knows me quite well and with George it was all very calm and quiet, but he was ready to go. MOST of the time they fall asleep then their heart stops, sometimes they don't react that way but know that the reactions are involuntary and not them trying to run away.

One thing I always warn people about is to expect a card from the clinic sometime in the next week or so. Most clinics will send a sympathy card and its quite a shock to get it when you were just starting to cope again.

*hugs*

I can't name drugs, my my experience has been that the animal is given a sedative shot, and then remained with me until they fall into a very deep sleep (and usually longer, for me this is when I say goodby and often that takes me a while.) Then the second injection is given which actually euthanizes the animal. For small animals, this is best done directly in the heart, so once I've said had enough time, that injection is given in the back room (largely because it is upsetting to the parents--the animal at that point isn't feeling anything.)

Maybe I've been lucky, but I've been present for the euthanasia of several dogs, and several guinea pigs, and it's always been a very peaceful experience. None of the animals have appeared frightened or in pain.

I'm so sorry that your experience was upsetting--the decision to let them go is hard enough. I would ask your vet what they did, and why and go from there.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

I'm so sorry you had such a terrible experience. Having to put your dog to sleep is always heartbreaking, but it should never be made more difficult.

When my Chaka had to be put to sleep (a fast growing aggressive cancer took her in two weeks) they told me they would give her a sedative to make her unconscious then the second shot would make her pass. This is my vet's protocol so there was no question as to one or two shots. They did warn me that with the second shot there might be some sort of spasm or appearance of a seizure. I sat with her on the floor of the exam room, they gave her the first shot and she fell asleep in my arms. I picked her up and carried her to the back room where the procedure table was, I was crying, but trying not to make any sounds as I didn't want upset Chaka, they say we can hear when we are unconscious, so I was trying to be strong for her. I placed her on the table, everyone else (the vet techs) were all crying, too. I left before the last shot was administered because I couldn't bear to have my last memory of her struggling. By the time I left her eyes were closed and she was deeply asleep. Before I left the vet's wife (she is the office manager) came in to check on me, she shared with me that he had just gone through the same thing the day before with his own dog - it was his dog of many many years. I felt so bad for him and everyone there that they had to go through this again so soon, but I was (and still am) deeply grateful for their empathy and caring for both Chaka and me.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014