Update...good Thoughts Please

Guest lauri

Miles will be seeing the vet AGAIN in about 45 minutes.

Hopefully we can get closer to an answer.

I'll update later.

UPDATE:

Miles weight is now down to 46.5 lbs. This is a 70+ dog we're talking about. I can't remember if it was two or three weeks ago he was last weighed, but he's about 10 lbs. lighter.

Even with the good number of days of eating he's down so much.

So the doc is running a Maldigestion/GI profile along with the regular CBC.

If it's maldigestion/absorption then we go from there. If not, we're assuming it's some form of cancer and she agrees that going in to do any exploratory surgery at this point would not be good. He's almost 10 and about 25-30 lbs. underweight, anemic and weak.

The mass is just his kidney. Not as prominent on the left side, but it's no worry. He's so skinny it just shows now. His breathing funny is due to anemia. His body is not absorbing nutrients obviously, and it's to the point where it's basically digesting itself.

Just like a human anorexic.

And she believes that his not wanting to eat is still being associated with the pain he had a while back from the eating.

So I get to syringe feed him. That's not fun at all. I got more all over us than in his mouth because he wants to spit it out. I'm to put two small cans of AD which is an antioxidant kind of food with two regular size cans of DD which is venison based, add water, 6ccs of a liquid vitamin she sent us home with, and blend it up and syringe it to him throughout the day.

He's also now on prednisone so hopefully his appetite will come back.

2-3 days for the test results to come back.

Maybe it's not cancer.

I PRAY it's not cancer.

Edited by lauri

sending prayers for your baby :hope :hope :hope this must be so scary and frustrating for you both! :( :( :(

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

:hope:hope:hope

Paula & her pups--Paneer (WW Outlook Ladd), Kira & Rhett (the whippets)
Forever in my heart...Tinsel (Born's Bounder - 11/9/90-12/18/01), Piper, Chevy, Keno, Zuma, Little One, Phaelin & Winnie
Greyhound Adoption Center ~ So Cal rep for Whippet Rescue And Placement

For beautiful beaded collars, check out my Facebook page: The Swanky Hound

Guest jettcricket
Miles will be seeing the vet AGAIN in about 45 minutes.

Hopefully we can get closer to an answer.

I'll update later.

UPDATE:

Miles weight is now down to 46.5 lbs. This is a 70+ dog we're talking about. I can't remember if it was two or three weeks ago he was last weighed, but he's about 10 lbs. lighter.

Even with the good number of days of eating he's down so much.

So the doc is running a Maldigestion/GI profile along with the regular CBC.

If it's maldigestion/absorption then we go from there. If not, we're assuming it's some form of cancer and she agrees that going in to do any exploratory surgery at this point would not be good. He's almost 10 and about 25-30 lbs. underweight, anemic and weak.

The mass is just his kidney. Not as prominent on the left side, but it's no worry. He's so skinny it just shows now. His breathing funny is due to anemia. His body is not absorbing nutrients obviously, and it's to the point where it's basically digesting itself.

Just like a human anorexic.

And she believes that his not wanting to eat is still being associated with the pain he had a while back from the eating.

So I get to syringe feed him. That's not fun at all. I got more all over us than in his mouth because he wants to spit it out. I'm to put two small cans of AD which is an antioxidant kind of food with two regular size cans of DD which is venison based, add water, 6ccs of a liquid vitamin she sent us home with, and blend it up and syringe it to him throughout the day.

He's also now on prednisone so hopefully his appetite will come back.

2-3 days for the test results to come back.

Maybe it's not cancer.

I PRAY it's not cancer.

Ask your vet about "Ovaban"....Cricket's oncologist has her on that to jump start her appetite. It's intented use is to stop females from going into heat, but it's working like a charm on her. The girls eating like a little piggy. Oh, maybe I shouldn't have said that....don't want to jinx myself.

As always....prayers for your boy.

Edited by jettcricket

More prayers and "love to eat" thoughts. :hope:chow

Will he drink Ensure? Have you tried the Nutritional Yeast on his food?

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Sending more prayers and lots of hugs!!

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

Sending more prayers for precious Miles and his family. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.