• Immediately - within a week
    • 2 weeks to a month
    • 1-2 months
    • 2-6 months
    • 6 months to a year
    • Doesn't matter, no new hound can replace the one you lost

Guest Hoolyghans

There's no universal "right" time.

If you are having flip flopping thoughts, why don't you go visit your local rescue kennel, walk some doggies and see how you feel afterward?

We lost our dear, sweet Golden Maggie the same day my FIL died. Talk about a crappy day...

Both had cancer so their passing wasn't entirely unexpected but the actual timing was very sudden for both of them.

We adopted our first grey, Abba, 3 weeks later. It only took me a few days to realize the house needed a dog in it. DH was reluctant to start looking and wasn't entirely convinced he wanted a greyhound either. He humored me though and when we met Abba, he fell for those big brown eyes hard. For us, having her to love was just what our family needed. She did such a good job healing our hearts that just 6 weeks later we succumbed to a 7 week old grey pup :lol:

The DH and I have been a multi-dog household our entire life together, except for a brief period prior to adopting our first greyhound. We had Great Danes before, and gradually lost them until our last boy, Joe, passed from congestive heart failure on my husband's birthday in 2004. We knew Joey's time was coming and we'd talked about staying "dog free" after. That lasted a whole 2 months. And we've been a multi-grey home ever since.

We knew the second we saw Libby that she was ours - even though we'd just gone to the meet-n-greet to "look" at greyhounds. The DH wasn't thrilled with them as a breed (noses too pointy, too flighty, too this, too that), but he was actually the one that said we needed to have her. We would have left with her that day if we could have.

When Libby died in February I cried like I never have for the lose of any previous pet. And I still get choked up from time to time thinking about her. But we have three other wonderful greys to love and spoil, and we'll probably be adding another special needs greyhound (either a senior or a seizure dog) before the end of the year. We'll never "get over" losing Libby, but the best way to honor her memory is to give another special grey a good home.

If you don't think you can give your heart permanently, you might think of fostering. Your experience could really be useful in helping other greyhounds get ready for their forever home.

greysmom :D

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest Hollys2hounds

I feel exactly like Fountainlady.

My Ginger left us two years ago this week. I have had many dogs, but Ginger was my heartdog! Before she even physically entered my life, I literally had dreams about her, and they all came true! My husband would say she could feel me coming home when I was still a mile away, and she would pace, and wait for me.

When she left, I knew it would be hard, but I never could have imagined how hard it was. Of course the object is not to replace her, but to fall in love again with another. I couldn't stand the emptiness of our home. I knew Ginger would want me to give another a home.

We adopted Lexy about 3 weeks after Ginger went to the bridge. The hard part was expecting Lexy to react/ behave in a similar fashion to Ginger... Very, very quickly we both learned how to work with each other, love each other, and that this was a new life experience for both of us!!!!

Some thought it was too soon to add a new member to the family. For me, I felt the timing was fine. ....then came Gunner,.... then came Emma.....

Best of luck with your decision. I do know how hard it can be when we lose our best friend.

Good luck. Only you know what is right for you.

Edited by Hollys2hounds

I waited more than a year after losing my heartdog...once I got Holly, I realized that she was what was helping me heal. Next time I won't wait nearly so long. It's different for everyone, and it's different every time, I'm sure :grouphug

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

Guest EmilyAnne

I am so sorry for your loss of Dune. :(:grouphug:

I had the same concerns about comparing another dog unfavorably to Alfalfa.

Alfalfa and Henry are two different beings, both with their own special personalities and souls.

Alfalfa passed on Sept. 27th/2007. I had been through a lot with that dog and he was with us for 12 years. He used to put his head on my shoulder when I cried.

When he died the grief of losing him made me very sick. I couldn't eat, and when I did I often threw up. I had constant headaches and was wasting away.

Alfalfa was very high needs with epilepsy, blindness and diabetes. I felt it was wasteful not to give what I had been giving to Alfalfa to another dog out there who needed that. We adopted Henry Oct. 27th. I was no longer sick after that. My heart still skips a beat, especially as I research things for Henry, and come across something I wish so much I had known for Alfalfa. I will always miss Alfalfa for the rest of my life. But Henry certainly eased my pain and I know Alfalfa is very glad I adopted Henry. I think Dune will be glad when you adopt again.

Deep down, you'll know if it's time or not. Don't hestitate to adopt again when you know it's time. I really think you will feel better. And don't worry that you are 'replacing' Dune. Dune is impossible to replace.

I'm sorry for your loss of Dune. :sad1

I didn't know how I would react after losing my first dog. It was 1 week ago today, and we already want another one. I miss Jazz very much, and I still cry a little every day, but most of the time I'm OK.

My husband may be a little like yours -- he was not a dog person before I got Jazz (we weren't yet married either), but boy is he a dog person now. Or at least a grey person! He misses Jazz a lot, too, but he was quick to say that he wanted another one.

Maybe if you try to imagine having another dog in your home, knowing he will be different, it will help to see how you feel. If the thought of having a different dog makes you smile, maybe you are ready. But I've never done this before. My only dog before Jazz was a childhood pet and I was in college when we put her down. At that time, a dog did not fit into my lifestyle.

It feels a little weird now to think about another dog, but I think I will adjust quickly. He or she will not be Jazz, but I'm sure he will be wonderful in his own way. We're going to try to make an appointment at the kennel at the end of September, but we know there is no obligation. We will see how we feel when we get there. If we get hooked on someone, great. If I feel like I'm not ready yet, that's OK, too. I don't think it hurts to look and test the waters.

Guest Winterwish

DunesMom I'm so,so sorry about your Dune's going to the bridge. :grouphug:grouphug

I couldn't really pick an answer to the poll because there isn't an option for my answer.

When ever the right time is for you to bring a hound home,will the right time.

You are you! No one else is you but you,and you'll know,I believe you just will.

When you go for walks,and think about Dune,or while you're sitting watching tv and feel him in your heart so much,as you do,and feel all the things you feel about him,well when you at some point feel the energy of another wonderful hound becoming part of your life,and you his or hers,I'd say it might be then time to come to that point of making a call to an adoption group.

Too,there's often other things in life that influence the ability to bring home another. That could involve financial situations,health,things along those lines. So,responsible choices need to be made,and that's part of it as well.

In any case,there should not be any pushing that is unhealthy.

There's no hierarchy of 'readiness' from one person to another,bringing home another is not necessarily an indication that the person was ready,it should never be something done for acceptance of some kind.

It's each person and their hound's journey's. When you feel the time is right for you Dune'sMom,the greyhound who is already yours will come home with you. Sending hugs to you DunesMom!

Edited by Winterwish

it took me just over a month, however my measure was when i couldn't stop looking at the available greys in local adoption group kennels and imagining they were mine :) Let it happen when it happens, time shouldn't be a measure.

I didn't vote b/c my heart dog (and first grey) is still with me, along with her brother who I adopted later, but I wanted to throw out the thought of fostering until you decide if you're ready. That's actually sort of how I ended up getting involved with greys. I lost my childhood cat after 17 years and just couldn't imagine getting a new pet b/c of hte loss I felt. After some time had passed, I thoguht I would look into fostering instead. I started looking into fostering cats, but was led to greyhounds. I fostered for a year before I adopted Neyla. It might be a way to ease yourself back into it and eventually the right pup for you might come along and stay for good.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

We lost our beloved whippet on July 10th, and I can tell you that I am ready for another dog now. Not a day goes by that I don't think of or tear up over the thought of our precious Comet, but we are ready to open our hearts to another dog again.

Toby, our greyhound, is an "only" dog now, and this is the first time in his life that he's been an only dog. He doesn't have anyone to play with outside, so he just goes out, does his business, and then comes right back in.

We had a greyhound spend the night at our house last Friday as part of a GUR and Toby enjoyed having another dog in the house again, had no problem with the visiting hound walking over and deciding to lay in his favorite bed, etc. It was nice to see him have someone to play around with outside, too.

We are waiting til December to add a new family member because I have the last 2 weeks of the year off, so that is the best time for us to add a new hound to our household. That is when Toby came home to us last year. It is killing me waiting until then but it is what's best for us.

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

Guest 4gryhnds

I'm impetuas.....I love dogs, and just about any dog can find their way into my heart. That will never take away from the memory I have of each and every dog that I have ever had. They are all individuals. Each and everyone of them have left an imprint in my heart. I could easily adopt another dog right away, but no dog could "replace" the one that just passed.

I am sorry for your loss

Guest Greytminds

For me when I lost Grace I new she could never be replaced, she was a very special girl. What made me realize it was time knowing that I was opening my home to a pet who needed it. It probably would have been harder if I was considering a breeder but a rescued pet opens the doors for many others in a long line of waiting pets.

Hope this makes sence? I was trying to put my thoughts in short term.

Paul

Guest tampagreymom

I am a one-person, one-dog household and lost my heart dog Cinnamon in August of 2006. She was my first Greyhound and the love of my life. I cried every night for over two months. I stayed involved in my Greyhound Adoption group to be around the doigs but knew I was not ready yet to adopt again right away. People told me the same thing-adopt another right away but I felt it was not right even though my home was so empty. After about three months, I fostered with intent but just felt nothing for the dog. Then I met a bounce-back who was so shy and she just touched me in a way that I wanted to help her. I felt ready and adopted her and she has won my heart over. I think like others have said, everyone is different in how they grieve and mourn and only you will feel when and if the time is right.

I decided to go "dogless" after my Sheltie died. That lasted all of a month of watching Scooter mope around when Skye passed.

I would adopt as soon as I found a dog I liked. No dog could ever replace any of my girls, but I know it makes way for another dog in need of a home to find one. That doesn't mean any other dog would take her place in my heart. Like others have said, it honors the memory of the dog you lost.

I didn't vote, because I have no choice in the time period that could pass here. If I could get past the dumb 2-dog bylaws here, (I have 3, but one's presence -- pick which one! -- is grandfathered) I would foster with the intent of failing. However, even that would be illegal because I cannot "harbour" a third dog either. In order to adopt again, or foster, I have to wait for one more to die! :angryfire I know for me, it will be hard to have only one grey in the house, and I anticipate it would be hard for Tansi, too.

When you find a dog that touches your heart, it's time to adopt again, regardless of time passed.

We lost our beloved Bloodhound this July, and a month ago, adopted our first Grey, "Nova". She hasn't filled Sexi's spot in my heart, but she's been the balm I needed, and I'm glad I didn't wait any longer. I have 2 other dogs, (Dachshund and Corgi) but needed a bigger hound too. I'm with those that say go for it - a new one doesn't take another's place, but it sure helps change your focus.

Guest RocketDog

I would want to adopt as soon as possible. I am a huge one for moping when I am down, so having to keep busy with acclimating a new dog would greatly help me get moving again after the loss of one of my precious puppers.

I just got a new pup, Darius is still in my heart, I think of him everyday. I love my Asia to death! and my new girl makes me smile and I love a new grey's journey to relaxed couch potato. Many would love to have you love them. I said 2-6 months.

"To err is human, to forgive, canine" Audrey, Nova, Cosmo and Holden in NY - Darius and Asia you are both irreplaceable and will be forever in my heart beatinghearts.gif