Unexpected Trip To Vet With Amy

Guest HoustonGreys

Guest HoustonGreys

We've had a rough day here and I'm not speaking of the Tropical Depression. Amy's back legs went out. I called our vet and he said bring her in immediately. After 2 hours at the office which included a neurological exam, 12 Chemistry Panel bloodwork and bloodwork being sent to Arizona to test for Protatek Tick and Babesia --- we still aren't sure what's going on. The "good" news is it is only her back end effected and he suspects it's something similar to Sciatica. He's pretty confident it is not a tumor but possibly something small that moves around and can sometimes hit the Sciatic nerve. He's amazed she doesn't seem to be in pain --- especially because of the famous GSOD. He did a test where they run something down her spine and watch what happens and Amy's was ok. It will be at least 5 days to get results from Arizona. He started her on Prednisone, Primor, and Soma (muscle relaxer) in hopes to relieve the inflamation and "unpinch" the nerve. This is so scary and just breaks my heart to see her in this condition. We hold her back-side up with a towel to take her out to potty. She managed to tinkle before her muscles seized up again but she was doing her little "poo poo trot" when it hit so she didn't get to finish her business.

This is probably a little confusing, I did my best to try to relate everything we heard today. I sure would appreciate prayers for our little girl.

Jackie

I would just put one of those blue pads under Crickets rear end. When she went to the bathroom we would find her in the middle of the room, and we would change the pad. She wanted nothing to do with a wet pad.

Vallerysiggy.jpg

Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the Day comes,

God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man.

(Persian Proverb)

Okay, here's what we're thinking. This is NOTHING serious, it just can't be. Hopefully the meds kick in quick and Amy is comfortable. She has to be feeling great to celebrate on Thursday, and we'll here of nothing else. Jackie, you know we're with you and Amy. And please give her a big kiss from her boy Wayne.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest HoustonGreys

Thank all of you for your prayers, good thoughts and suggestions --- gonna get blue pads tomorrow. I do hope it's just a pinched nerve and that the meds kick in soon. I admit I am paranoid after just losing Turbo.

Jackie

Sending prayers and gentle hugs to the sweet little girl. :grouphug Feel better real soon Amy. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Oh Jackie, I'm sorry to read this! Poor Amy. Let's hope it's just a pinched nerve or at least nothing too serious.

I'm keeping you and your sweet girl in my thoughts, and my fingers firmly crossed. :goodluck

:grouphug

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Guest HoustonGreys
I suspect you already know this, but did the vet check for LSS?

www.greyhound-data.com/dir/397/Lumbosacral_Stenosis.pdf

I think he ruled that out because there are brief periods of time that she can walk almost normal. I didn't specifically ask about LSS though and I do know about it. We had taken Turbo to see Dr. Herron at TX A&M several years ago to have him checked for it. This really does act like severe muscle spasms but apparently the tick diseases can look similar.

We've had a bad evening. She can't stand long enough to potty and she won't go with the towel holding her up. I will call the vet tomorrow, they wanted to know how she's doing. I don't know if there's anything additional they can give her until the blood tests come back from Arizona.

Thanks for your suggestion and I will ask the vet tomorrow when I call, just to be sure.

Sending prayers for Amy. :grouphug

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Oh, Jackie, your sweet Amy has got to be alright! I know waiting for test results is so difficult, and of course you're worried, expecially after losing Turbo.

We'll all be hoping that she is just fine, and sending lots of prayers.

And I'm sure Wayne will bring her lots of ice cream!

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Prayers and good thoughts for Amy.

ATASCOSITA DIAZ - MY WONDER DOG!
Missing our Raisin: 9/9/94 - 7/20/08, our Super Bea: 2003 - 12/16/09, our Howie: 9/17/97 - 4/9/11, our Bull: 8/7/00 - 1/17/13, our Wyatt Earp: 11/22/06 - 12/16/15, and our Cyclone 8/26/05 - 9/12/16

Guest longdogs

Let's hope they quickly find the cause and it is easily treatable. There are few thing that can do this and they normally recover. The fact that it is intermittent is a good sign.

Guest Vinnie

Just caught this thread and wanted to add our chants and prayers too - thinking healing thoughts and hoping the meds do their job quickly and that you get answers that will help your sweet Amy. Sending extra hugs and lots of scritches.

Just checking in to see how Amy is doing. I know you had a very long night Jackie, I hope things are better this am

Edited by cbudshome

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

Just checking in to see how Amy is doing. I know you had a very long night Jackie, I hope things are better this am

:kiss2 Big kiss from Wayne

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg