The Amazing Travis (f/k/a Eos Jigmo Is Gone

onrushpam

It was a dark, rainy night in October 2001 when I took EOs Jigmo from a closed kennel at Jefferson County Kennel Club. He was in the last group of 21 dogs we took out of that kennel in 3 days. When we arrived to pick up those last six dogs, the kennel was devoid of anything but the dogs... no food, no leashes, no muzzles, nothing. As I led Jigmo out, a huge rat ran across my foot.

We loaded up the six dogs and just as I was about to get into the van, a man grabbed my arm... He said, "Please, please help me! I don't want to kill my dogs!" I gave him my phone number and said, "Call me in a few weeks".

We took Jigmo and two of his buddies to my house. The other three went to other foster homes.

Jigmo was the most beautiful dog I'd ever seen. Everything about him said, I AM A STAR! Nevermind that he had totally failed at racing.

At my house, he tried to kill my cocker spaniel. He nearly dislocated my arm when I tried to walk him on a leash. He was totally out of control! Yet, he grabbed my heart. I started to play with him in the yard and quickly learned he was a retreiving fool. He would chase a ball and bring it back as long as my arm held out with the throwing. I was in love with this dog! But, the longer I had him, the more I knew he would be a VERY difficult dog to place in a home.

I called my friend, Jennifer Lawson (now Bachelor) in Atlanta. She was a budding and talented young person who wanted to compete in obedience and agility with her greyhounds. But, she also exhibited wonderful instincts for dealing with difficult dogs. I BEGGED Jen to foster Jigmo and she eventually relented and agreed to take him. After awhile, she agreed he probably was not a candidate for adoption. So, she just adopted him herself.

She named him Travis and eventually did his ILP registration with the name Never Expected. You can read his story on her website and blog: Travis

Travis went on to earn his Companion Dog Excellent title in obedience, and became the only greyhound to earn a Junior Jumper title in Dock Diving. But, his BIGGEST accomplishment was earning not one, but TWO Master Agility championships. Travis wasn't just a great agility greyhound. He was a great agility DOG!!!

My heart breaks for Jen. I can't believe the amazing boy is gone. He was so special!

Pam

GPA-Tallahassee/Southeastern Greyhound Adoption

"Fate is unalterable only in the sense that given a cause, a certain result must follow, but no cause is inevitable in itself, and man can shape his world if he does not resign himself to ignorance." Pearl S. Buck

Wow... what a touching story. :cry1 My heart goes out to all who knew and loved this very special hound. :grouphug Godspeed, sweet Travis... :gh_run

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Guest trevdog

I'm sorry I didn't get to meet him, but followed his career when I got involved in agility. He will be missed and such a gorgeous, talented boy......I was hoping he'd have much more time.

Oh no....that's heartbreaking. Even though I didn't know it was him, the picture of Travis fishing is the screensaver on my machine at work. Whenever someone new sees it, they ask me if he is mine. I'm very sorry for his momma...he rebounded from a miserable existence and made his and her life better! I guess that's why we greyhound people do what we do.

siggie50_1.jpg

Blair, Stella (DND Heather), Lizzie (M's Deadra), Hitch (Hallo Dominant) and House (Mac's Dr. House)

Missing my handsome men Lewis (Vs Lowrider) - 11/11/01 - 3/11/09, Kevin (Dakota's Hi Five) - 1/1/06 - 4/18/11 and my cat, Sparkle Baby - ??/??/96 - 4/23/11

"The gift which I am sending you is called a dog, and is, in fact, the most precious and valuable possession of mankind." (Theodorus Gaza)

Guest multigrey

f_yellowf_yellow These are the stories that touch my heart. Bless you Pam for giving him a start and eternal thanks to Jennifer for showing him what he was capable of.

Godspeed, Travis.....you will be missed by so many.

I am so Sorry. :bighug

:gh_run2 Run Free Travis Eos Jigmo

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter

Condolences to you and Jennifer and all Travis' loved ones. I'm sorry he had to leave so soon.

Godspeed, clever boy.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

run free Travis. What an amazing dog he was. My heart breaks for all who loved him.

scootersig_A4.jpg

Pam with greys Avril, Dalton & Zeus & Diddy the dachshund & Miss Buzz the kitty

Devotion, Jingle Bells, Rocky, Hans, Harbor, Lennon, NoLa, Scooter, Naomi and Scout at the bridge