Shanti's Tail Problem

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Elastikon is the extra-sticky tan athletic-type tape.

Don't know why SSD helps but it sure seems to. Presumably inhibits bacteria and keeps a moist environment, which you need for healing something like that. Also keeps the gauze from sticking to the wound, which even nonstick will do.

Okay, I am pretty sure I have that too! Off to wrap. Muzzle goes on! Thanks!!!

The Girls

Jenny, you can try a Bite-Not collar (if you can get one quickly - I've only seen them sold online). I used this successfully with Teo, but I understand that it may not work that well for tail or extremity injuries.

Bite Not

Ditto. I know my vet sells them so maybe your vet or one in the area has them. I wouldn't put any cream on it until you know what you're dealing with. Please give that pretty girl a big hug from us

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

I've always had a hard time finding Elasticon in a "regular" pharmacy. But athletic tape is usually very easy to find, and works well, too.

We used it when Naples had her dew claws removed, and WOULD NOT leave the wound alone. She had a hard time getting it off, but I didn't! Came off easily with a bandage scissors.

By the way, I've been able to find good bandage scissors at our nearby dollar store, for (*gasp*) $1!

Sarah, the human, Henley, and Armani the Borzoi boys, and Brubeck the Deerhound.
Always in our hearts, Gunnar, Naples the Greyhounds, Cooper and Manero, the Borzoi, and King-kitty, at the Rainbow Bridge.

I will say it looks a LOT better today. I am finding more of it creeping down her tail. I got a message from the vet. We can wrap it. She suggested a topical anesthetic, like ambesol for babies or one they have. But the pain killers she is on should kill the pain. I will say, Shanti is in suck up mode for her biting me. :lol: And she should be! :P The vet said she would wrap it for me if I would like. I think I can and save me the drive for now.

Things that pop into her head...drug reactions, hot spots, or something really odd which she did not want to go into. :huh She is off tomorrow, but said they will get her for me if I need her. Again, it is why I love this vet!

The Girls

Guest MAXNAV
I will say it looks a LOT better today. I am finding more of it creeping down her tail. I got a message from the vet. We can wrap it. She suggested a topical anesthetic, like ambesol for babies or one they have. But the pain killers she is on should kill the pain. I will say, Shanti is in suck up mode for her biting me. :lol: And she should be! :P The vet said she would wrap it for me if I would like. I think I can and save me the drive for now.

Things that pop into her head...drug reactions, hot spots, or something really odd which she did not want to go into. :huh She is off tomorrow, but said they will get her for me if I need her. Again, it is why I love this vet!

OUCH! That looks terrible. My collie had hot spots all the time, but they never looked like that. I put ab ointment on it. The vet gave me Panolog Ointment, which was more expensive than Neosporin, but does the same thing. (The vet tech told me afterwards, on the sly, to get some over the counter ab ointment in the future.) Even the store brand triple antibiotic ointment worked for me. I hope you figure out what the heck is going on. It makes me hurt to think of how sore it must be for her.

Edited by MAXNAV

Guest greytloves

Doesn't silvadene burn? Maybe the medication is what made her bite? It seems as if I remember that stuff burns.

Just a suggestion. A while ago when Jamaica had a dressing change, I talked to the vet about not being able to keep bandages (this was before stitches were removed). The vet sprayed the vet wrap with Bitter Apple and she left it alone for about 16 hours. I found if I respray within 12 hours she is better at leaving things alone. Otherwise, she gets off her boot, chews thru a shirt, and then chews thru adhesive, vet wrap, and gauze. I also spray the sleeve of the sweater where it covers her lower leg.

I went through at least 4 rolls of vet wrap and 2 shirts before we tried this. So far, only 1 1/2 rolls of vet wrap used in two weeks, and no more shirts have been relegated to the garbage!

Doesn't silvadene burn? Maybe the medication is what made her bite? It seems as if I remember that stuff burns.

I was wondering too. My kid was really young, he screamed anyway. I have never had to use it on a cut. Good thought.

The Girls

Guest tricolorhounds

When my oldest DD was 7 months old, she pulled down the iron and had 2nd and 3rd degree burns on her foot... We did bandage changes with Silvadene cream if I recall correctly, several times a day... I don't think it burns... I think the injury is sore and anything that touches it is uncomfortable.

Healing thought coming Shanti's way :grouphug If you need to put her in a padded room, she's more than welcome to join Miss Savannah in puppy restriction.

Oh man, that looks painful! Poor little girl - poor you. I was going to suggest a squirt bottle of betadine/bandaid wash (what we use - but it's getting pricey, so we'll probably switch) so you could at least rinse it from a distance.

Can you have someone hold her head and give ear scritches while you re bandage? I know it's an awkward location, but maybe an infant sock with no toes could be taped over a bandage to keep her from unwrapping it?

Guest longdogs

I'd really need to know what the likely cause was and what the damage is. Obviously it's more painful than the normal run of cuts and scrapes. Assuming it is nothing more than a cut it shouldn't need much treatment, just a little Betadine spray or similar, and should only need protection if she won't leave it alone and is chewing at it. I'd leave it exposed if it is only a shallow wound. Putting dilute Betadine in a spritz bottle and just giving a light spray is unlikely to upset her as much as rubbing on an ointment. Don't forget to put a towel or something behind it to avoid stains.

Guest greytloves
I was wondering too. My kid was really young, he screamed anyway. I have never had to use it on a cut. Good thought.

:P EVERY now and again I have a good thought. Just don't let that get out! ;)

Well the top one looks better. See :)

DSC01115.jpg

Now she has 2 more nasty ones. So she is wrapped, muzzled and not pleased with me. :(

DSC01114.jpg

And her belly is getting worse. The picture is yesterdays, but it is even worse today.

DSC01116.jpg

Good news is she did not bite me. No chance with a muzzle. She did whip her head around at me, but no open mouth this time. She is still sorry from last time.

The Girls

Nope. Guessing medication reaction since it is multiplying. The next 2 look almost as bad as the first did. I will have to take her back in shortly. I have 4 kids under 10 here by myself today. ^_^ No way I can handle her and the boys, nor do I have a car today big enough for everyone. They go home on Saturday morning. :D

The Girls

Guest Vinnie

Anyone close by who can help you out? I'd be there in a flash, but a bit too much of a drive for me in this heat and with the crazy fires in Cali. Poor Shanti. I was glad to hear Asti wasn't letting anything keep her down or out of the pool. :lol Sending more healing thoughts and prayers and extra hugs.

Didn't you mention that she was having problems with a staph infection? I bet this is related. Riley has had a recurring staph infection for years and it can cause all kinds of gross sores and skin problems. That's what it looks like is on her belly.

Riley is about to be put back on pred and antibiotics for it since it is still not under control :( Let us know what the vet says.

Guest VelvetEars

I would get some pure aloe gel and a bottle of lavender essential oil. Get a travel-size bottle (the 2 oz size is fine). Fill it about 2/3 full with the aloe, and add about 20 drops of lavender. Shake well to mix. Apply it several times/day to any sores. It doesn't hurt - it actually takes away some of the pain - and speeds healing tremendously. Lavender is a natural antiseptic, antibiotic, and antifungal. She may even not lick it. I used this on Jane when she was recovering from her stroke - she scraped her legs and feet something awful - and then after my mother smashed her tail in the door and we had to amputate 2/3 of it. It was the only thing I could put on her that she'd leave alone, and she didn't even scar from all her scrapes.

Didn't you mention that she was having problems with a staph infection? I bet this is related. Riley has had a recurring staph infection for years and it can cause all kinds of gross sores and skin problems. That's what it looks like is on her belly.

Riley is about to be put back on pred and antibiotics for it since it is still not under control :( Let us know what the vet says.

Yes. I believe we are dealing with that again from all the medication and immune suppression. I asked for antibiotics. It is now creeping on her outer thighs. :(

The Girls

The sores are multiplying. I just got off the phone with the vet again. She will go in for biopsy's tomorrow. The tail and the belly are very different looking. At the moment we suspect the Imuran as the culprit. The vet is contacting the dermatologist in the morning. They will probably sedate her since she won't allow the tail to be touched.

Think good thoughts, this girl needs them!

The Girls