Shanti's Tail Problem

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thinking good thoughts for Miss Shanti. :hope

Paula & her pups--Paneer (WW Outlook Ladd), Kira & Rhett (the whippets)
Forever in my heart...Tinsel (Born's Bounder - 11/9/90-12/18/01), Piper, Chevy, Keno, Zuma, Little One, Phaelin & Winnie
Greyhound Adoption Center ~ So Cal rep for Whippet Rescue And Placement

For beautiful beaded collars, check out my Facebook page: The Swanky Hound

Oh Shanti, haven't you been through enough? You know you're in our thoughts and prayers always. Please get well pretty girl

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest Vinnie

I love that your vet is there for you, no wonder you love him. Hope he's able to give you some answers and something to help Shanti a little better, poor little girl. Sending healing thoughts and prayers.

My company just left, so now it is quiet here. :D

Sue, I pm'd you my address. We are off to the vets shortly. She will stay the afternoon there. :( I will be snubbed by her for days.

She gave me the GSOD last night at 1:15. Man, I hit my ceiling! I feel bad she hurts so much. Hopefully we get some answers today. I am guessing she has a bladder infection too now. We have stopped the Imuran.

I just pray we get a break and find a upward swing here!

The Girls

Guest Vinnie

Better the snubbing than the pain I know you are feeling for her. She looks so much like Gracie it is scary - and Gracie doesn't like the vets either. I hope they are able to make her more comfortable. Sending scritches and hugs.

Guest BlackandBrindle

Sending lots of prayers for your sweet girlie :grouphug

Is there any way you can sneak away for an afternoon and have some quiet time for yourself?

The belly does look like staph. The tail .. that almost looks like a 'shut in the door' injury, and the fact that she has two more makes me wonder if perhaps you have young children who may be accidentally catching it as she goes through. I'd have thought she'd have screamed though, AND avoided the situation the second and third times.

Is she crated? could she be getting it caught in there somewhere and injuring herself pulling free? :unsure

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

She is there. I cried. This is the first trip she did not willing go in. Even with all she has had done, she went happily. Then I heard her screaming when I left. That just killed me! I should be able to pick her up tonight. I feel like I am torturing her in a loosing battle right now.

The tail is multiplying and it is not getting caught in anything. It multiplied under the wrap. It is systemic. She is not crated. I do have kids, but she does not get up and go around doors when they are around. I wish it was that easy though. I can fix that.

The Girls

Guest BlackandBrindle

Oh Jenny :grouphug :grouphug

It's going to get better. Hang in there. Whatever happens in the future, you're doing the right thing for your girl now. She knows you love her and she loves you too. :grouphug

:( Sending lots of hugs. Please don't feel that you're torturing her. She's a sick little girl and you're doing your darnedest to make her better again, so she doesn't hurt anymore.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest tricolorhounds

Poor Shanti... She knows you love her and are doing everything in your power to make her feel better. :grouphug

:hope:candle:hope Get better soon baby girl :hope:candle:hope

Dr. Herrera called. Shanti is done. She took a couple biopsy's and slides. They are being sent to where they would send their "critical care" patients labs, California Microbiology. Samples are also being sent to a dermatologist. She has a fever of 104. They cleaned her tail and more skin just sloughed off. She said it was like it was being eaten away by something. :( It is very different than the blisters on her belly. We are dealing with 2 things. She is coming home on antibiotics for now. We should have results in 3 and 7 days.

Thanks for bearing with me on this. I guess I am frustrated. :( Off to go spring my girl. :)

The Girls

She is there. I cried. This is the first trip she did not willing go in. Even with all she has had done, she went happily. Then I heard her screaming when I left. That just killed me! I should be able to pick her up tonight. I feel like I am torturing her in a loosing battle right now.

The tail is multiplying and it is not getting caught in anything. It multiplied under the wrap. It is systemic. She is not crated. I do have kids, but she does not get up and go around doors when they are around. I wish it was that easy though. I can fix that.

Oh dear... It does seem systemic? I hope they can find out what it is and get it treated quickly! :hope

Please don't beat yourself up about leaving her - she NEEDS to be there to get a dx so you can treat whatever it is. What antibiotics do you have for her?

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Have the docs considered Alabama rot?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

She is home and MAD at me!!! Once again I got the HUGE snub when I picked her up. Kinda made me laugh as I knew it was coming. She went to everyone else but me and stood with them. Finally got her out the door and into the car, she would not get out! Grumpy girl is now resting on her bed in the laundry room at the garage door breeze with muzzle on. She has a pretty new purple wrap on her tail and stitches in her tail and belly. She sent me some lidocaine in case.

She is on Enrofloxacin. We used it before and it worked. The vet does not want to introduce a new antibiotic as we think she is having medicine reactions.

I don't know if they considered Alabama rot. She did think something that was "nasty" but did not want to go there yet. She did say this lab will find whatever it is. So, now we wait. But now I have to go look it up. Curiosity kills me! :P

I have to say, this month I hit double my average expenses in less than 9 days on vet bills. Hope we don't have more this month!

The Girls

Poor sweet girl. And :grouphug to you. This must be so hellishly hard.

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

The expense can really be a burden, but when it's the expense and no results, I can't even imagine. Poor Shanti must be hating life right now. I just hate it when they have to be muzzled. And before anyone jumps on this, I know it's necessary sometimes but I can still hate it. The other concern I would have about the muzzle is that sometimes, the muzzle can irritate the wound and even the wrap. That's why I use the Bite-Not, when I can that is. I just hope she's comfortable and you can relax and of couse I hope she forgives you. Somehow I think they know we do what we do because we love them so much. This is a time when I really want to believe when everyone says they live in the moment. Rest well Shanti, and you too mom!!

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Thanks Claudia! I keep taking the muzzle off when she is resting and not bothering it. I don't like to leave it on. I had to put it on in the car to get her out as she was umm....not nice. :o She is not herself. But, I am not willing to trust her not to snap right now. ;) Once bitten, twice shy.

You hit the nail on the head. The expense right now is horrendous. That would be easier to swallow if SOMETHING worked. I just hope the name their new wing expansion after her. :D I think I funded it all!

Hopefully we will sleep tonight. Concealer no longer covers the circles. :P

The Girls

Actually, there IS medical treatment for it. IIRC the treatment of choice is gentamycin. Which you and Shanti might already have tried.

Tail lesions aren't a hallmark of Alabama rot -- I think usually you'd see things on the legs or torso. But longshots might be worth asking about.