Shanti's Tail Problem

We were just at the vets a couple days ago. Her tail looked like it had an abrasion of sort. We got some cream to put on it. Today it is much worse. I went to put the cream on and she whipped around and bit me. :eek That is not like her!!! So I know it hurts! Yesterday she screamed and freaked out while laying down. I can only guess it was a tail thing. I have another call into the vet. Sickly her number is memorized. :P

Anyone have any thoughts on it or suggestions? Here are a couple pictures.

DSC01109.jpg

DSC01110.jpg

She won't leave wrap on it. My poor girl, her belly is a wreck too right now. :(

The Girls

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest MnMDogs

Oh wow, that looks so painful. Mork has stud tail, and it would occasionally get raw enough that I needed to put ointment on it. But it never looked that bad. Is it possible to muzzle her to at least get the cream on it? Can she undo vet wrap?

I muzzled, put cream on. She unwrapped it. It is oozy right now from her unwrapping it. I have a lampshade collar, but she can't get in and out with it on and she gives NO warning on potty time. Plus she is on prednisone which makes her have to go a lot.

The Girls

Guest BlackandBrindle

Ouch! That looks like it hurts.

Is she leaving it alone? You might try a betadine wash (I put mine in a hair color applicator).

In the meantime I'd definitely muzzle her when you try to put the cream on.

What kind of cream did the vet give you?

Guest paulamariez

Poor Shanti! How the heck did that happen?? I have no advice, but I'll keep your poor, sweet and obviously in pain little girl in my prayers that it heals up quick for her! Tiger, Bueller and Domino are sending her some healing doggie kisses too.

We have no clue how or what she did. I noticed it the other day when I bathed her before the vets.

I don't have a poop guard, but maybe if I leave her muzzled? Will it drive her crazy? Better than the lampshade alternative. :P

The Girls

OUCH~That looks so painful. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Try the other type of neck collar...I've seen them made from bath towels - fold until the width of her neck, then wrap around the neck and tape (duct tape will work) in place. This would allow her to get in and out of the dog door, but unable to bend her neck enough to bite her tail. I'll see if I can find a pic on here somewhere...

Cathy, Van & Monita (and angels Kimmie and Dagger)

Guest houndlover

Poor baby...it looks awful! When I have to try to keep one of the dogs away from an incision or something like that I use a muzzle and put tape over the outside of the muzzle so that they can't lick/chew the incision. I had tried the towel thing like cathys01 suggested but it kept slipping off. I'm sure that I probably didn't do it right though. :P

Poor Baby. I am so sorry I have no suggestions, but I hope she feels better real soon.

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter

Ouch! That looks really sore. Poor Shanti and poor you.

I'm not convinced the Bite-Not will work on a tail (although I usually swear by it for body wounds.) Evenh in a bite-not I think my pups could have reached the tail.

I'd second a muzzle with a poop guard for this particular injury.

Can you let us know what the vet says and how you get on?

Gillian
Caesar (Black Caesarfire) and Olly (Oregon) the Galgo

Still missing: Nell (spaniel mix) 1982-1997, Boudicca (JRT) 1986- 2004, and the greys P's Catwalk 2001-2008, Murphy Peabody (we failed fostering) 1998-2010 and Pilgrim (Blazing Leia) 2003-2016,

What are you wrapping with?

What I would do is:

- Make sure you have some blunt-nosed bandage scissors on hand. Don't do the wrap below unless you have some.

- Nonstick gauze pad with a blob of SSD over the wound. Anchor it with 1-2 little pieces white medical tape.

- Make an extra pad of a couple layers gauze or vetwrap. Put that on top the gauze pad. Anchor with 1-2 little pieces tape.

- Now vetwrap. Start 4-5" below the wound and keep going to 4-5" above it (or as far as you can get, but leave @ half an inch of "I could wrap this much further up).

- Now Elastikon. Start half an inch below your vetwrap and continue to half an inch above your vetwrap. You will need the bandage scissors and some patience to get it off.

- Muzzle with poop cup (or tape) on dog. Gotta keep her mouth off it.

- Change after 1 day. If it looks OK at that time, leave it on two days. Change again in two days. If it's still looking good, go 3 days. Then 5. As long as it looks good, don't mess with the wound -- just slap some more SSD on your new gauze pad and bandage it up.

Hugs and big luck to you.

ETA: To get your bandage off, work your finger under the Elastikon at one end. Keep your finger under there. Insert blunt nose of bandage scissors and cut along your finger. That way you're sure you're cutting only bandage (and maybe your finger OWEEEEE) and not the dog.

Edited by Batmom

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Vinnie

Oh what a week you are having! :bighug Poor Shanti - her tail definitely looks painful. I hope she did not bite you too hard??? How about the muzzle with some tape - there was a picture of stinkeye in C&F that the muzzle was taped to stop her from licking (I am so sorry, I am just drawing a blank on the pups name right now) - maybe that would help for now? Have you heard back from the vet yet? And how is Asti doing? I hope both your babies get better very quickly and that there was no serious damage done to you. Please keep us posted.

What are you wrapping with?

What I would do is:

- Make sure you have some blunt-nosed bandage scissors on hand. Don't do the wrap below unless you have some.

- Nonstick gauze pad with a blob of SSD over the wound. Anchor it with 1-2 little pieces white medical tape.

- Make an extra pad of a couple layers gauze or vetwrap. Put that on top the gauze pad. Anchor with 1-2 little pieces tape.

- Now vetwrap. Start 4-5" below the wound and keep going to 4-5" above it (or as far as you can get, but leave @ half an inch of "I could wrap this much further up).

- Now Elastikon. Start half an inch below your vetwrap and continue to half an inch above your vetwrap. You will need the bandage scissors and some patience to get it off.

- Muzzle with poop cup (or tape) on dog. Gotta keep her mouth off it.

- Change after 1 day. If it looks OK at that time, leave it on two days. Change again in two days. If it's still looking good, go 3 days. Then 5. As long as it looks good, don't mess with the wound -- just slap some more SSD on your new gauze pad and bandage it up.

Hugs and big luck to you.

ETA: To get your bandage off, work your finger under the Elastikon at one end. Keep your finger under there. Insert blunt nose of bandage scissors and cut along your finger. That way you're sure you're cutting only bandage (and maybe your finger OWEEEEE) and not the dog.

What is SSD? Where do I get Elastikon? I have LOTS of vet wrap. Lots of first aid stuff from the fire station. :P

The Girls

Oh what a week you are having! :bighug Poor Shanti - her tail definitely looks painful. I hope she did not bite you too hard??? How about the muzzle with some tape - there was a picture of stinkeye in C&F that the muzzle was taped to stop her from licking (I am so sorry, I am just drawing a blank on the pups name right now) - maybe that would help for now? Have you heard back from the vet yet? And how is Asti doing? I hope both your babies get better very quickly and that there was no serious damage done to you. Please keep us posted.

Quite the week!!! No word from the vet yet. She is out today. Last time I brought her in anyway it cost $350. Since I did about double that again on Thursday, I will wait a few more hours. She will be in in the morning. I will make it till then. My friend Meghan offered to come help wrap or do medicine if need be. I have kept Shanti muzzled and it is no longer oozy and that nasty. Still bad. I will let you all know what the vet says.

Asti is fine now. Not much keeps a pup down! Still has stitches. She did get her swimming in today. She can jump 1/2 way across the pool!!! :lol

Shanti did not bite me badly. I don't think she meant to hurt me or she would have. It was a snap bite that got the back of my arm. It is fine, I am just a bit stunned!

Thanks for all the good thoughts!

The Girls

omg, not another thing! You guys have really been having a hard time :( I don't know if this is right, but isn't there some sort of gland on the tail? Could that have something to do with it? I hope you get it figured out and healing soon. We send our love and good thoughts!!

Elastikon is the extra-sticky tan athletic-type tape.

Don't know why SSD helps but it sure seems to. Presumably inhibits bacteria and keeps a moist environment, which you need for healing something like that. Also keeps the gauze from sticking to the wound, which even nonstick will do.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.