Side Effects Of Meds?

Jack has osteo and is on Tramadol and Meloxicam which is very effective right now at keeping any bone pain under control. He is happy and active. Eating well and enjoying life. However, he is drinking tons for him and peeing a correspondingly large amount. Does anyone know if this sounds like a usual or likely side effect of either of these drugs? It is not a problem ;just a curiosity. He is not on any pred.

Thanks for any input.

Update*

I tried the Pepcid and it seems to have made a marked difference. Jack is back to drinking, I would say, pretty much normal amounts and therefore peeing normal amounts, again. So thanks Batmom. It never crossed my mind that drinking was an indication of an upset tummy. He seemed to be handling the meds so well. He has even reduced his grass grazing although that is a favourite activity that he won't give up altogether I'm sure.

I will continue to watch him closely though.

Edited by Jackandgrey

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

Not a "typical" side effect of either drug like it would be with prednisone. You'll need some bloodwork and a urinalysis to figure out what is going on!

Bill

Lady

Bella and Sky at the bridge

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." -Anabele France

FeemanSiggy1.jpg

Bloodwork and urinalysis do seem like a good idea.

Might also ask your vet about adding pepcid or another tummy med for him. Sometimes they'll over drink if their tummy is upset.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest KennelMom

I agree with the others. We've used tramadol in our dogs for osteo, lumbosacral stenosis and a foot/toe injury (three different dogs) and I've not seen that side effect in any of them. Sounds like something else going on maybe....

Bloodwork and urinalysis do seem like a good idea.

Might also ask your vet about adding pepcid or another tummy med for him. Sometimes they'll over drink if their tummy is upset.

Thanks Batmom. I think I'll try a trial of Pepcid and see if it makes a difference as well as talk to the vet. I would have to weigh further investigations for my shy boy who is on palliative care reagrdless but of course we will do what is necessary and in his best interests.

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

As mentioned before NSAIDS can upset the stomach. Nadir developed ulcers, which still give him trouble from time to time, from taking Meloxicam and Rimadyl. My vet started giving me carafate/sulcralfate to give him for this. I found out later though that Carafate does nothing to prevent ulcers it only helps in treating active ulcers. So in addition to the Carafate I would also suggest giving him something like Pepcid that will help prevent any further irritations that the NSAIDs may cause to his stomach.

Hugs to you and your sweet boy, he is often in my thoughts.

Judy

Mom to Nadir, Beanie, and Bruiser

Thanks everyone for your responses. It's always a worry.....

Updated in first post.

Glad to hear he is better!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

That's good news Susan! Glad Jack is feeling better :) He's in my daily thoughts.

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Glad to hear he's better and the meds are working well for him. Wishing you MUCH more quality time with your sweet boy. :hope

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.