Greyhound Swallowed 9 Straight Pins

A greyhound I know swalled part of a pincushion. She was at the ER today. The pins are in different locations and they told her mom that the surgery would be major - six surgery sites. She is giving her bread and turkey to try to get her to pass the pins tonight. Any suggestions on what may help?

Wish I had a good suggestion, just want to wish the them luck. Hopefully she won't do anything to induce vomiting

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Hmmm. If the pins are passable, they'd have to be all in the digestive tract, and that's only one surgery site. Went over this in great detail when the toy Joseph ate caused problems. One surgery site, one external incision, maybe more than one INternal incision, but my vets said that was the easy part. He made very clear that once they open the pup up, they're going to check every part and every inch of digestive tract for Things That Should Not Be There. And they did.

Some fiber might help -- a metamucil wafer or two, for example.

Hugs and lots of luck.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Sending prayers. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest FullMetalFrank

Sending many prayers. Many years ago my Mom's kitty swallowed a sewing needle attached to a length of thread; ever since then I have been paranoid about putting away sewing stuff out of critter reach. In Mom's kittie's case, she ate a bunch of grass before mom could get her to the vet and horked the needle back up; it sounds a lot more complicated for the greyhound.

I'm so glad that the new is good at the moment. There is hope. Piper swallowed a small sewing caddy with pins and needles stuck in it. He was able to pass that. The vet took x-rays in the AM and again in the PM and we could see the pins moving. Then the vet gave me a plastic baggie with the absolutely disgusting fabric caddy and pins in it. :lol I was immensely relieved and surprised too. It is amazing what they can manage to poop out. :goodluck

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for her. My b/f's dog swallowed an 8 x 8 pan of brownies....along with the 8 x 8 glass Pyrex dish they were baked in. His daughter had backed them and placed them way back on the counter in the corner, it was quite a distance from the edge and no on thought sweet old Ralph would be able to reach them....WRONG! He was a senior lab/rott mix. She went into the kitchen to cut them and take them out of the pan and she found a few brownie crumbs on the floor along with a few chunks of Pyrex glass.

Ralph was too old for the vet to put under, so they put him on IV antibiotics gave him lots and lots of bread and it all passed without incident. The x rays are amazing to see, his intestines were packed with chunks of glass and brownie and bread, it looked like a giant coiled snake in his abdomen. Good old Ralph lived another 4 - 5 years after that!

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Guest greyladydown

Glad to hear that things are moving along. My sheepdog mix swallowed part of a plastic spoon and that piece took 3 weeks to pass through his system. We took x-rays and even did a barium series and never did see the plastic on the films. But, 3 weeks to the day, he finally passed the spoon. I called the vet to tell her that I had the spoon and they all started yelling and screaming!

Let me tell you, that was 3 very tense weeks of waiting.

Praying the rest will pass

Our Hershey before she was 1 year old had a double blockage from eating indoor/outdoor carpeting. We had to put a deposit of $1400 to the ER vet before they would operate ended up to be $1600 and all we got was a bag of stinky carpet fiber..

It is better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all

Missing my Big Blue eyed Bear

Greyt news! She has passed five total. Hopefully, the rest will come out tonight or tomorrow.

Greyt news.

Vallerysiggy.jpg

Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the Day comes,

God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man.

(Persian Proverb)

Guest KateWantsaGrey
:jaw There needs to be a "blowing my mind" emoticon! I can't believe she ate pins! Poor baby. Hoping for the best :grouphug:hope

Come on sweetie...poop the pins! :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.