Doing What's "best" For Bonnie

Guest K9Cookies

Guest KRKWMU

Let me start off by saying...I HATE CANCER!!! THIS SUCKS!

OK...I'm taking a breath.

I thought everything was going great. Bonnie just celebrated her 6th birthday yesterday with great news from our vet this past Friday. His recommendation was...we're done with chemo, just continue with the pred. every other day and I'll email Dr. Couto to verify things.

Well, I heard back from our vet today and Dr. Couto has a different plan in mind. He wants Bonnie to continue taking the Leukeran (one of the chemo drugs she was taking) every 14 days, which I thought he might do...that's not a big deal to us. BUT, he also wants to add back in the vincristine injections! :blink: One injection every other week, but still! UUUHHHH! That is the stuff that made Bonnie so sick. We thought we were done for awhile! I want to do what is best for Bonnie, but I was really excited that she was getting a break. Her appetite has been terrible and I was hoping to get things back on track.

If this were your dog (think of "child"!)...what would you do? :dunno

I think we're leaning toward trying it to see what happens. I just don't know.

UPDATE- As I was typing this, I got a phone call from our vet (he had just left a voicemail earlier). He read Dr. Couto's email to me and it said that if we just do pred that Bonnie would come out of remission within a few weeks. :weep So, we have no choice, in my opinion. More chemo it is.

Edited by KRKWMU

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm so sorry to hear this. Only you know what's best. Bonnie is one of my absolutely favorite GT houndies and she is in my thoughts all the time. I have not been on GT for the last few days or I would NEVER have missed her birthday for the world! Happy belated wishes sweetie...

I hope the chemo goes well and doesn't make her so sick this time round... :goodluck :goodluck :goodluck

Sending many hugs to you. Keep breathing... :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Guest jettcricket

Hey Kristin...yes, cancer does suck! I do know how hard it is....hang in there and just try and take one day at a time.

If you want, I have Leukeran that I purchased for Jett just before that damn cancer took him from us. There's probably about 40 pills in the bottle that I have in my refrigerator. If your interested, pm me as I know how expensive these medications are and I will send it to you. I don't know what mgs you are giving her, but I will go home and check.

I hate to throw it out.

Linda

Be sure to talk to all your docs about how sick the drugs have made her. Could be the dosage could be adjusted a bit; could be there are other things they could give to help her deal with the side effects.

Sending big hugs.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Oh Kristin, this just really sucks!! No other way to put it.You know Bonnie is always in our prayers.She just has to be okay, she just has to!! We love her!!!

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Oh damn. Yes, I read your update too. Only you and Bonnie can tell when it comes to quality of life. Talk to Bonnie, you know her best, and ask the vet about dosages that might minimize the sickness.

This is the hardest, hardest decision we have to make for our dogs. Go with your gut and what you hear from Bonnie.

All I can say is that with one of my beloved dogs . . . in retropect I wish I had read her better. She wanted to go, but I was not ready. My need, not hers.

Hugs,

Gillian

Gillian
Caesar (Black Caesarfire) and Olly (Oregon) the Galgo

Still missing: Nell (spaniel mix) 1982-1997, Boudicca (JRT) 1986- 2004, and the greys P's Catwalk 2001-2008, Murphy Peabody (we failed fostering) 1998-2010 and Pilgrim (Blazing Leia) 2003-2016,

Guest KRKWMU
I'm so sorry to hear this. Only you know what's best. Bonnie is one of my absolutely favorite GT houndies and she is in my thoughts all the time. I have not been on GT for the last few days or I would NEVER have missed her birthday for the world! Happy belated wishes sweetie...

I hope the chemo goes well and doesn't make her so sick this time round... :goodluck :goodluck :goodluck

Thank you! :blush You're too funny. I posted some pictures from her birthday in the EEG section. She had a good day.

Have you tried canned Tripe with Bonnie? They find it very hard to turn now.

We've tried A LOT of stuff. I'm pretty sure we tried tripe at our friend's house. They have a grey who's a really picky eater. She wants to eat, but we can tell sometimes that she's so nauseous. As soon as she smells something, she'll back up or turn her head. Poor girl.

This is the hardest, hardest decision we have to make for our dogs. Go with your gut and what you hear from Bonnie.

All I can say is that with one of my beloved dogs . . . in retrospect I wish I had read her better. She wanted to go, but I was not ready. My need, not hers.

Bonnie is certainly not at this point yet. She's still playing, running, and a little spunky. I think today has been more of a downer for me. I was so excited that Bonnie would get a break from the chemo. In the future, we need to communicate with Dr. Couto sooner to see what comes next and how long we'll be doing things. I hate to bother him, but I'd rather we all be on the same page so this doesn't happen again. ;)

The good thing about this new protocol is that there isn't another medication on top of the 'every other week' medications like before. I don't think things will be as bad this time. Tomorrow she'll get the Leukeran and we'll go from there. I'll keep you posted.

Linda- Do you think the Leukeran would hold up through the mail without refrigeration? I would certainly be interested if it could work. That's a generous offer. Thanks.

Sending my prayers. Sweet Angel LaceyLaine assures me she is watching over. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

I was just sitting here coming down from the day we had and I thought, Bonnie is going to do just fine!! I just know it!! And she sure couldn't be in better hands, that's for sure.

Edited by cbudshome

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

Be sure to talk to all your docs about how sick the drugs have made her. Could be the dosage could be adjusted a bit; could be there are other things they could give to help her deal with the side effects.

Sending big hugs.

:nod :nod :nod :nod

And big hugs for you and Bonnie :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Guest jettcricket

Thank you! :blush You're too funny. I posted some pictures from her birthday in the EEG section. She had a good day.

Have you tried canned Tripe with Bonnie? They find it very hard to turn now.

We've tried A LOT of stuff. I'm pretty sure we tried tripe at our friend's house. They have a grey who's a really picky eater. She wants to eat, but we can tell sometimes that she's so nauseous. As soon as she smells something, she'll back up or turn her head. Poor girl.

All I can say is that with one of my beloved dogs . . . in retrospect I wish I had read her better. She wanted to go, but I was not ready. My need, not hers.

Bonnie is certainly not at this point yet. She's still playing, running, and a little spunky. I think today has been more of a downer for me. I was so excited that Bonnie would get a break from the chemo. In the future, we need to communicate with Dr. Couto sooner to see what comes next and how long we'll be doing things. I hate to bother him, but I'd rather we all be on the same page so this doesn't happen again. ;)

The good thing about this new protocol is that there isn't another medication on top of the 'every other week' medications like before. I don't think things will be as bad this time. Tomorrow she'll get the Leukeran and we'll go from there. I'll keep you posted.

Linda- Do you think the Leukeran would hold up through the mail without refrigeration? I would certainly be interested if it could work. That's a generous offer. Thanks.

I could send it overnight...I know when I orginally ordered it, I don't think they kept it refrigerated in shipping and it took about a day and a half. I thought I had about 40 pills, but it looks more like 20. If you are still interested, let me know and I'll be more than happy to ship it to you ASAP.

BTW...Jett's dosage was 2 mgs.

Guest KRKWMU

Bonnie's been doing pretty well. She had some really bad diarrhea the past few days, but we've been giving her sucralfate before meals and also some pumpkin. She's been eating MUCH better (not perfect, but good) and she's been playing with toys a lot more than before. We can just tell that she's feeling better. Thank goodness. :)

Today I was able to get her to swallow the Chinese herbs in pill form that the Holistic Vet recommended. I'm hoping we can gradually add more everyday. Bonnie's supposed to get 6 pills of 3 different herbs, twice a day! :blink: That's A LOT of Chinese herbs!!! Tonight I gave her 3 of each kind. Eventually we'll get there! :D

I'm nervous for Tuesday. That's when she gets the vincristine injection. I'm expecting the side effects won't show up for a few days. If we can get through the week without any trouble, we'll be SO happy. I've already picked up Cerenia tablets from the vet to give to her early Tuesday morning before the injection. That should help with any nausea and stop it before it starts.

So, fingers crossed. :goodluck We're going up on the rollercoaster, hoping to stay up for quite awhile! :lol

It's great that she's eating so well :yay Kristin, you and Bonnie contunie to be in my thoughts.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Little Bo-Peep is always in our prayers. How can I not think about her every day when I go for the bag of treats. Bonnie reminds me so much of Misty. I know you wouldn't see it in the pictures you've seen but everytime Misty puts those ears up....oh yeh..

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Thanks for the update Kristin... keeping Bonnie (and you) in my daily thoughts.

Fingers very firmly crossed for next Tuesday... :goodluck :goodluck :goodluck

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day.