Bodie Returns To Osu (long)

Guest Bodie

Guest Bodie

I last posted in February when we went to OSU for Bodie's follow-up visit, three months after he finished his chemo, following the amputation of his right front leg for osteo. At that time, they found a very small spot that was too small to identify yet as lung mets, on his lungs. We returned on Friday for another follow-up visit and another chest x-ray.

Bodie does indeed have lung mets. The small, undefinable spot of February has grown and a second spot has joined it. We were given a prognosis of 2-3 months left for Bodie. However, we were fortunate to be able to speak with Dr. London about her research studies. She has two studies that she is conducting that are being quite successful at stopping - not

eliminating - lung mets. The first study was quickly eliminated from our consideration. It is being sponsored by Pfizer and they are insisting on 50% of the dogs being on placebos. I can't make a major time and energy commitment for a possible placebo. Dr. London understands. She is very frustrated with Pfizer's requirement, as many dog owners don't want to sign up for the study for that reason.

The second study has been ongoing for some time. She told us it involves a weekly commitment of bringing your grey in for one day a week for four weeks while he receives 8 hour intervenous therapy with a new drug that has been highly successful, so far, in stopping lung mets. Sadly, we told her we couldn't make that commitment because of our jobs and living 7 hours away. We returned to the lobby of the hospital to wait for Bodie to be brought to us and Dr. London came out

and found us there. She told us she thinks Bodie is an ideal candidate for the therapy and she would love to have him in her study. She has been thinking of trying a new protocol in her study, for reasons that are too long to explain here, but if we could leave Bodie there for two weeks he would receive the medication twice a week for two weeks instead of once a week for four weeks. If he wasn't responding to the medication after one week, they would notify us and we could come get him. If he did respond, we could pick him up in two weeks and then he would need to return every two weeks for another round of therapy to maintain. Those returns would be optional - we could continue the treatment or opt out if the travel becomes too much.

Dr. London left us to talk it over. Lew and I did - he was very supportive, but said it was my decision. I didn't know what to do - not only what would be best for Bodie, but also for greyhound osteo research. I went outside to the garden in front of the hospital and prayed for an answer. No - no voices from heaven filled my ears - but all I could think about was all of the people who posted on this site and Circle of Grey, people who were in anguish over losing their beloved greys. I thought of Carrier, Pebbles, others whose struggles I have read about. Then I thought about all of the people across the country who have helped Bodie and I - the support he receives from people who have sent him things to help - medicine, collars, food... the list goes on...

All I could think of was that maybe, in some small way, Bodie and I could give back to the greyhound community by having him participate in this study. Dr. London told me that the majority of the data she needs would come from the two weeks she had him. It would be difficult for me to be without him, but he would be well cared for. So I said he could stay.

Arrangements were made. He is going to live with a vet. school student. The one who was assigned to him while we were there graciously offered her home, so he won't have to live in the kennels. She will bring him to work with her in the morning and Dr. Couto is going to keep him in what he calls "the greyhound bar" - the room where they keep the greyhounds who are donating blood. Apparantly that is a very nice area and he can socialize with the blood donors as they come and go. Bodie will enjoy that - he LOVES other greyhounds. And two days a week he will get his meds. He will be under the watchful eye of Dr. Couto, who came out to see us. Dr. Couto also examined him and found him to be in very good health for a grey with lung mets, which is perhaps another reason Bodie should receive treatment.

So, it was the second hardest thing I've done involving Bodie (the first was leave him there last August for his amputation). I know he will get the best possible care there and make a lot of new friends, but already I miss him so much. The house seems so empty without his enthusiastic personality. My heart also broke when we got home and Rainy met us at the door and looked past us for Bodie - then ran around crying and looking for him. I tried to tell her Bodie would be coming

home later. I don't know if she understood, but she eventually settled down.

And today, the house seems so empty without him. I know that one day - way too soon - it will always be this quiet - when he has to leave us permanently. I hope I did the right thing. I hope Bodie understands. This was one of the most difficult decisions I have ever had to make. I hope I made the right one.

Edited by Bodie

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest boondog
:grouphug Bodie knows you're only doing what's best for him. I work only minutes from the vet hospital, so please feel free to get in touch with me if there's anything I can do. You and Bodie are in my prayers.

Guest Artemis

You're a good momma to be looking out for your sweetpea. Think positive and good energy and light will flow to you and Bodie. Bodie and your family are in our prayers.

Guest Ohiogreymom

Just think how WONDERFUL it will be if this study and treatment should lead to a cure!! I know it must be so hard to give him up even for 2 weeks when your time with him may be cut short anyway, but I'm so thankful for people like you who are willing to help others. And who knows? It may even lead to a cure for your boy, or at least more time with him. I'm very thankful to you for your decision. :bighug:bighug

What a descision to have to make! Sending prayers it turns out well for everyone--Bodie and all the greys that may be helped :grouphug

I work only minutes from the vet hospital, so please feel free to get in touch with me if there's anything I can do

Make sure they know Bodie's thermostat is broke since chemo and he has a/c and perhaps we should buy him a "fanny" :)

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Guest argolola

Bodie and family, thank you for being so brave and for helping the greyhound world.

Bodie will be in my prayers. Maybe with his help, they will develop Bodie's Cure.

Guest grey_dreams

So sorry to hear this news. You made a very brave decision. Sending good thoughts your way. :grouphug

I am sitting here in tears .... what you are doing is so wonderful and unselfish - to have him participate in this study ..... , and it has has to be so painful to have him away.

I lost my Pup to Osteo two years ago .... THANK YOU SO MUCH for doing this.

I hope this will be successful for Bodie & give him many extra months (or years!).

Hugs, Hugs & more hugs !!!!!!!

Cory

gus-rainy-1.jpg?1449508527184&1449508632
CORY and CRICKET - Solitary Tremble & CASPER - Pj's Mia Farrow
* With CAPT. GUS - Solitary Trigger, RAINY - Peach Rain, PUP - Red Zepher, DOC - CTW Fort Sumpter
and MAX - Shiowa's Silver Maxamillion / Afghan .... all waiting at the bridge

What an amazingly difficult decision to make.

Hugs to you and prayers for sweet Bodie.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest GreytMuse

You are showing so much courage and love. Thank you, you'll all be in my thoughts and prayers.

i'm so sorry that Bodie has lung mets but i'm hoping for a great outcome from this study :grouphug

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

I can imagine the pain of having to make that decision. I'm sending many prayers that the treatment works for Bodie and all the other greyhounds who fall victim to osteo. :grouphug:grouphug

Aero: http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?d=kees+uncatchable; our bridge angel (1/04/02-8/2/07) Snickers; our bridge angel (1/04/02-2/29/08) Cricket; Kanga Roo: oops girl 5/26/07; Doctor Thunder http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?z=P_31Oj&a...&birthland=

Guest greytmonty

Hugs and prayers for Bodie, Rainy, Rhonda, and Lew from all of us here in Philly.

Rhonda please call if you want to talk.

Guest GreyFox

What a tremendously difficult decision you made. I think you did hear voices as you waited out front - maybe not from the sky, but from your own grateful, loving and giving heart. I'm sending lots of prayers and warm thoughts to Bodie, and also to you in hopes that the 2 weeks pass by as quickly as possible.

(Edited because the grammar is just not working this morning)

Edited by GreyFox

You're amazing, and Bodie is amazing. We will light a very special candle for Bodie this morning, and one for you as well. May this have the very best outcome possible. I hope these 2 weeks go by quickly for you.And prayers that St Francis keeps your boy tucked in his arms. :candle:candle

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest vahoundlover

I am so sorry to hear Bodie has lung mets :cry1 I can only imagine how difficult this decision was. :grouphug My prayers are with you and Bodie for a successful outcome.

Guest jerrybird

Very tough call for you to make and I hope things go well. Your pup is with the most competant people around and will receive the best of care and lots of love!

I don't even know what to say to you. What a selfless and painful decision you made. I can't begin to tell you much I thank you for our hounds who have gone and who are soon to leave us and more importantly for the ones who maybe won't need to go. I pray Bodie responds well and is with you for a long while yet.

Have fun at medical camp Bodie.

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren