Tipper, Another Episode, Different This Time

Latest incident, Post 44.

Update again, post 37

UPDATE: Post 34

Of course I'll be calling my vet as soon as they open, but I wondered if any insomniacs out there have any ideas. I did a keyword search in H&M, but Stroke and Vestibular Disease are all that came up. Tip's episode didn't seem as severe as the descriptions that others gave.

Tip had a blood test last week, and we were to follow up this week with another blood test and a urinalysis, due to some abnormalities found:

Albumin 1.6 (2.6=normal), Calcium 8.5 (8.7=normal), AST 88. He's thinking possible kidney problems. Tipper has always been an excessive drinker in all the five years I've had him. Though in recent months he's gotten a bit worse, but not dramatically. I decreased the glucosamine I've been giving him, and that seemed to help a bit with the marathon drinkin' & peein' sessions.

But last night, after a seemingly normal day (tho I was very busy with housework, so it's possible I wasn't observing him well), right before bedtime this episode happened. Tip had finished his bedtime meal as always, gone outside as always, I brushed his teeth as always. But then as I was rinsing his toothbrush, I heard him bump into a door on his way to the waterdish. No one was near him to bump into him. Then I watched him walk from his waterdish to his bed and he was wobbly on his feet. His head seemed to tilt slightly (not severely) to the right. And he was sort of wobbling to the right, gently bumping the wall as he walked. I made him walk back and forth for about three to five minutes and the episode seemed to have worn off. Tip seemed subdued after that, but hard to say how unusual that might be. He's a subdued kind of guy. :wub: I tried the inverted paw test, and his feet righted themselves immediately. His pupils seemed equal, if maybe slightly dilated (though I learned last wee that his pupils are losing reactivity to light-- they don't constrict much at all). Temp normal, no shaking.

I didn't see much point in E-vet last night, but will be calling my reg vet right away this morning. Just wanted to know if anyone here has any ideas what we might be facing... ?

Edited by ZoomDoggy

gallery_4518_2903_2157.jpg
~Aimee, with Flower, Alan, Queenie, & Spodee Odee! And forever in my heart: Tipper, Sissy, Chancy, Marla, Dazzle, Alimony, and Boo. This list is too damned long.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd do a TBD panel and a urine culture.

What are you feeding?

Filtered water, well water or city water?

Did you do HW or tick/flea prevention in the last few days?

Tipper eats Eukanuba Naturals Lamb & Rice, switched six months or so ago from Natural Balance. He has not had TBD test yet. He drinks city water, same as we do. No HW or flea/tick meds. I was waiting for HW test results before starting the HW meds for this season. And I don't use flea/tick preventative, as I fear the side-effects I've heard about, and we're city folk, I've never seen a flea or tick on any of my pups.

Tip seems totally normal this morning. I'm still calling my vet of course, as soon as they open. I'll try to get Tip seen tomorrow as I have to have the dogs out of the house for a while anyway, unless my vet thinks he needs to be seen sooner.

~Aimee, with Flower, Alan, Queenie, & Spodee Odee! And forever in my heart: Tipper, Sissy, Chancy, Marla, Dazzle, Alimony, and Boo. This list is too damned long.

There has been a minor increase in drinking over the past month or so (food change was about six months ago). I decreased his glucosamine as I'd heard that too much can lead to kidney probs. That did seem to help a bit. No, haven't tried filtered water, as our city water has always been pretty palatable. I drink it myself.

Edited to add-- Tipper just turned ten in April. :sad1

Edited by ZoomDoggy

Guest Winterwish

Sending cyber scritches to Tipper Aimee,I hope it turns out to be something simple,or just a fluke. :hope:dogcookie

If there is a definte problem tho',it does sound very much like vestibular disease. It could be possible that he has an ear infection,tho' greyhounds ears aren't very prone to that,but it still could be.

Edited by Winterwish

We have an appointment for tomorrow morning. The vet's booked solid, but will work us in.

did he happen to munch on any grass that could have been treated with fertilizer?

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

Guest paulamariez

Keeping your Tipper in my prayers! My Bueller had similar episodes and at certain times seemed dizzy and got very nervous, bumped into things. The dizziness seemed to come and go. It turned out he had a major infection in his gums. He had gingivitis very bad and it got infected. He was better in 24 hours after starting an antibiotic. Obviously we had to get a dental done on him pronto. Just throwing ideas out there! I hope it turns out to be something simple.

I have no idea :dunno but hope everything is o.k. :)

Major & Black Jack are the BEST Doggies in the WORLD

A Major Presence - MAJOR - March 10, 1999 - January 13, 2011

Little Joe - BLACK JACK - July 31, 1998 - February 8, 2011

"If you lead your life the right way, the karma will take care of itself. " - Randy Pausch

I'll keep Tipper in my prayers. He's such a sweet boy.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

It kind of sounds like a seizure to me, but I'm certainly no expert.

My first thought was fertilizer or something like that that he might have eaten...

It's frustrating, and unfortunately, unless it happens again, you might never know what caused it (I am not sure which would be worse, having it happen again, or having it never happen again but being in the dark as to the cause).

Just in case, if it happens again, give him some PB right after. If it is/was a seizure they lose a lot of the things they need and PB will help replenish...

Hoping you find something out soon...

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Could be a mild stroke. If it is just that, don't worry too much as most make a really good recovery and show little or no after effects within a couple of days. Good luck....I'm sure he will do just fine.

Sue from England

Sending prayers to you both, Please update when you can.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Checking in for a pup-date - but I know you're a few hours behind us here...

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Thanks for asking about my Tipper. :) The visit went well, better than expected. We're waiting on the Creatinine and BUN results (tomorrow), but the other blood value imbalances were less off today than last week. Still not right, but less scary. Tomorrow's results should tell us if he's having a kidney problem. Doc said we should take a "wait & watch" approach to Tip's wobbliness episode from Sunday night. Tip's ears appear normal, no visible bulging or irregularity of the drums, etc. Doc felt that if that episode had been a stroke, or even a vestibular symptom, it's very odd that it lasted under five minutes and had no noticeable lingering after-effects. He said a normal vestibular disease flare-up (my words, not his. I'm paraphrasing to the best of my memory), would have lasted hours or even days...

So we don't have any answers, as usual. :( But if Tip's kidneys appear compromised, we can certainly take steps to treat him for that. Diet changes and Enalapril, for starters...

Tipper still acts totally normal, and has had no signs of reoccurance of that head-tilt or wobbles. Hope it stays that way, cuz that was scary! :goodluck