Riley Has A Swollen Wrist/foot

I am hoping you guys can make me feel better. I am starting to get really worried about Riley. Last week, Shaun noticed that his ankle was swollen. His toes did not appear swollen at that time. He did not (and still does not) appear to be in any pain whatsoever, so we kept an eye on it for a couple days. When it did not get better, we took him to the vet. Riley had already been on an antihistamine for some skin issues he has, so we concluded that it was most likely not an insect bite, as the swelling should have gone down by then. The vet felt all around his ankle and foot and did not feel anything weird or broken, so she prescribed him an anti-inflamatory, Previcox. She said this should take the swelling down pretty quickly.

Well, Riley's leg does not look better - it might actually be a little worse. I think his toes are a bit swollen now. He is still not showing any signs of pain and is his usually bouncy self. He has an appt for Sat morning to get an x-ray on it if needed, but now I am getting worried. What could cause it to be swollen for this long and why hasn't the medicine helped?? :( Anyone have any ideas what it could be? Good thoughts are appreciated also.... thanks so much.

Edited by RileysMomma

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest lotsagreys4me

I am not sure either but I would suggest blood work for tick disease, valley fever,etc.. Paws are crossed over here, please keep us posted

Good thoughts for Riley. I know it's a tough spot, but you may want to ice it to help the swelling go down. I think I would ask the vet also about blood work fot tbd. Please let us know how you and Riley make out at the vet.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

The previcox would mask any pain. But, it also takes swelling down. Shanti was on this for a year and a half. Her system I think got use to the medication. Riley's should not be. I would have them xray it (but I think I am the queen of diagnostic tests at the moment). He is not limping? Did he have more activity? Jump in or out of your car? Was he in the ocean lately? I would be tempted to soak it in Epsom salt. If there is something hiding, it may draw it out. It certainly won't hurt. But I can tell you, soaking wrists is a bit tricky. I have done it. :P

We will think lots of good thoughts for you and Riley. Give your big guy a hug for us. Shanti sends her utmost sympathy. She knows the swollen wrist thing all to well. :P

If you have to stay on Previcox for a bit, let me know. I will send you the link to the pharmacy that I found was the cheapest. :)

The Girls

Sending my prayers. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Sorry to hear that Riley's wrist/foot is swollen. :( The Previcox might be masking discomfort so you don't see him favor this leg. Maybe x-rays next? Sending lots of prayers and light to your handsome boy. :hope:getwell

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Guest paulamariez

Tiger's got arthritis in both of his front ankles (that first joint above his paw). His swell a bit from time to time and sometimes he licks at the joint so I know it must bug him some. Sometimes it seems to be weather related and bugs him more on rainy days. Our vet just has him on Glucosamin/Chondroitin for now because she said it's not really bad and he's not limping around or yelping in pain or anything. We also don't let him jump down from the SUV back because we noticed if he does that, his joints bug him more the next day, so he walks down and out the side door. I'll keep your precious hound in my prayers so that it's something simple and heals up nice and quick! Tiger, Bueller and Domino are sending Riley some healing doggie kisses too!

Thank you so much everyone! GT is so wonderful :wub:

That is good to know that Previcox will mask pain. The vet did not mention that to us. Though it did not appear to be causing him any pain before we started the Previcox.

He has an appt for an x-ray on Sat am, so I will let you all know what we find out.

Thanks again!

Sending healing thoughts for Riley.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

How did the xray go??

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

I have a special spot inn my heart for your Riley :) I hope the x-rays went well today and the news was good.

How old is Riley now? I'm thinking he isn't a senior yet.

Sending healing thoughts for Riley and hugs for you both.

I know you are worried.

vr2a.jpg
Tonya, mom to May, and my angels Vinnie, Rex, Red, Chase, and Jake.

Yeah me too.

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren