Update On Miss Bonnie Twist

Guest K9Cookies

Guest KRKWMU

Bonnie has been doing well the past few days. We had a rough week last week. She's been on the new chemo protocol for 2 weeks now. One of the meds (methotrexate) has really messed with her appetite. She was being picky at first, only eating certain things at different times, which was OK with us. We talked to Dr. Couto about it when he spoke at our fundraiser on April 12th. He mentioned that we could try Prilosec OTC instead of Pepcid. We did this and it seemed to make things worse. Last Friday she wouldn't eat anything. We were at the vet's office at 9 AM to get her stitches out and she wouldn't even eat the nasty chicken stick baby food things from Dr. Betts. :blink: This made him really worried and he rushed upstairs to email Dr. Couto. We held off on giving her the methotrexate on Friday and on Monday and her appetite is back to normal now. Everything has been great the past few days. Today we started her on Reglan 2-3 times per day to try to stop the nausea before it starts. We'll continue with that and restart the chemo medications tomorrow. Long story...sorry! I'll keep you posted on how things go.

I've been baking non-stop to get ready for GiG this weekend. Bonnie's been laying in the kitchen and looking up at me with those big brown eyes...I can't refuse! She's been getting lots of treats. ;) I told her she needs her energy this weekend to entertain her fan club! :wub:

I plan on putting on her special fluffy collar along with her Hope for Hounds collar. If you're at GiG, please stop us and say hi. I'll be hanging out at the Houndstown booth all day on Saturday. Hope to meet some of you there!

Here's Bonnie at the fundraiser with her new special collar. I wanted something special for her to wear so she stood out in the crowd!

IMG_1597.jpg

Now Kristin, if you're going to be president of Bonnie's fan club, you must keep up with your presidential duties and keep us all up to date on this special girl. We need to know these things.And about those treats? I don't think my dogs will ever be the same!!! The kitchen has become a circus. Now, about that collar???? Bonnie looks beautiful and will have NO problem being noticed.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest HeatherDemps

Thanks for the update! :) Glad to hear that she is doing better. Not sure if it would be recommended for her or not since I don't know anything about that particular type of chemo, but Dempsey always goes off his food after a treatment (even more so as it has progressed) and we were given some medication to help with this- Cernia or Cerenia- something like that. It has helped tremendously with nausea and appetite so that he has not lost so much weight after each one.

Hope things continue to go well for sweet Bonnie! :)

Guest KRKWMU
Now Kristin, if you're going to be president of Bonnie's fan club, you must keep up with your presidential duties and keep us all up to date on this special girl. We need to know these things.And about those treats? I don't think my dogs will ever be the same!!! The kitchen has become a circus. Now, about that collar???? Bonnie looks beautiful and will have NO problem being noticed.

OK, OK! I'm sorry...sometimes I worry that I post about Bonnie too much. There are so many other hounds who are so sick. :( Such a sad time here on GT right now. I'm starting to realize and learn that I can't take things for granted. I'm trying to "live in the moment" more and enjoy even the little things.

Thanks for the update! :) Glad to hear that she is doing better. Not sure if it would be recommended for her or not since I don't know anything about that particular type of chemo, but Dempsey always goes off his food after a treatment (even more so as it has progressed) and we were given some medication to help with this- Cernia or Cerenia- something like that. It has helped tremendously with nausea and appetite so that he has not lost so much weight after each one.

Hope things continue to go well for sweet Bonnie! :)

Bonnie was given Cerenia weekly after the vincristine injections. DH says Cerenia is a miracle drug. We couldn't have continued without it. I'm not sure why Dr. Couto recommended the Reglan instead. Bonnie had an injection of Reglan when we had such a terrible time in Michigan. That also really seemed to help. We'll see how it goes.

Thanks for all of your support and good thoughts, everyone. Much appreciated! :colgate

An Angel watches over. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest KRKWMU

Bonnie continues to do well. She hasn't been eating great, but we can usually find a little something she'll eat. Currently, we have 4 open cans of wet food and a bowl of water-soaked kibble in the fridge, plus yogurt, cottage cheese, etc., etc.! :P Oh well.

It was great seeing some of you at GiG. We had a good time. Bonnie was the best of our bunch. Fixer and Gracey were both grumpy, growly and anti-social the whole weekend. Bonnie was our star! :wub:

I'll keep you posted. Give your hounds a hug for us.

Guest CyndiW

Sounds like Bonnie and Alex have similar taste buds right now. Every meal is an open buffet and taste-testing event around here. He usually finds something suitable which is always a relief. Tonight it was cottage cheese, a banana, and sliced cheese. Oh yeah, and some jerky treats for dessert! I have had to cut the other boys meals in half so they don't get fat from all the fun taste-testing. Bonnie sure did look beautiful with her new collar! Give her a big hug and kiss from us.

Edited by CyndiW

It was great seeing some of you at GiG. We had a good time. Bonnie was the best of our bunch. Fixer and Gracey were both grumpy, growly and anti-social the whole weekend. Bonnie was our star! :wub:

I think I was formally inducted into the bonnie fan club last night, perhaps :)

(and the treats are a big hit, despite whatever was going on in Zuni's little head in the afternoon--Cosmopolitan the foster loves them too)

Sounds like Bonnie and Alex have similar taste buds right now. Every meal is an open buffet and taste-testing event around here. He usually finds something suitable which is always a relief. Tonight it was cottage cheese, a banana, and sliced cheese. Oh yeah, and some jerky treats for dessert! I have had to cut the other boys meals in half so they don't get fat from all the fun taste-testing. Bonnie sure did look beautiful with her new collar! Give her a big hug and kiss from us.

Bonnie and Alex, Ya know that has a nice ring to it. Maybe it's because they are both very very special hounds with a big fan club. :beatheart

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

She looks good. We're having food issues here too. I suspect that to some extent it's just that time of year.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Guest KRKWMU
I think I was formally inducted into the bonnie fan club last night, perhaps :)

(and the treats are a big hit, despite whatever was going on in Zuni's little head in the afternoon--Cosmopolitan the foster loves them too)

I'm glad Zuni has her head on straight now and they're enjoying their treats! Bonnie was certainly fond of you the other night. I can't believe our other two were so terrible! :blush

Bonnie and Alex, Ya know that has a nice ring to it. Maybe it's because they are both very very special hounds with a big fan club. :beatheart

Yes, Bonnie and Alex are one of a kind. I know they'll both continue to keep fighting and winning their battles.

Bonnie and Alex sittin' in a tree.... :wub: They've never even met though! :P

I just saw this, I hope her tummy is feeling better now. And of course she looks lovely in her fluffy collar and Hope collar! Give her a gentle kiss from me and tell her to feel better soon!

2 Hounds Design Martingale Collars | 2 Hounds Design Facebook Page

2HDgtSiggy2-2_zpsebfc14a9.jpg
Alisha, Bob, Livvie (the 2.5 year old!) plus Mia Bella, Tippy, + Wahoo and Diesel the crazy kitties (and missing sweet Iceman, Paradise, Bandit, Cujo & Sebastian) in Indian Trail, NC

thanks for the update. i'm looking forward to reading about Bonnie Twist's continued improvement :)

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Guest vahoundlover

I'm glad Bonnie did great at GIG! I was hoping to meet her. :( I told Allan Saturday night that I was disapointed we didn't get any of your treats. He smiled really big and pulled out a bag that had 3 bags of them. :D:lol

Guest paulamariez

Bonnie, you are one beautiful girl! Keep up the good work! I will keep your precious girl in my thoughts and prayers so that she gets well soon! Tiger, Bueller and Domino are sending Bonnie some healing doggie kisses too!

Guest KRKWMU
I'm glad Bonnie did great at GIG! I was hoping to meet her. :( I told Allan Saturday night that I was disapointed we didn't get any of your treats. He smiled really big and pulled out a bag that had 3 bags of them. :D:lol

HA! Thanks for that. I hope the hounds are enjoying their treats!

Bonnie has been doing greyt the past few days. She's eating much better and throwing around toys like she used to do. Her wound is completely healed up. The little scab that was left fell off this afternoon.

Now she just needs to grow some hair over the spots that were shaved. :lol Those bare patchwork squares are NOT a good look! :blush

Kristin, it was great to meet you at GIG, and to talk to you about your sweet Bonnie. I think I'd forgotten that she is so young. That makes it doubly hard to deal with this, but you are doing a wonderful job. I'm glad she's feeling better, and eating and throwing her toys around. She's happy to be here!

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Me too... I have a picture of her on my screensaver... Kristin, can you send us an update when you get the chance? How's the lovely Bonnie doing?

PS As for the patchwork squares... Since your girl is one of the cutest greys I've ever laid my eyes on, I think if anyone can carry that 'look" and somehow still looks beautiful it's definitely Miss Bonnie Twist!! :wub: :wub:

I'm a big fan :blush

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day.