Question About Vets

Guest jessicaksu125

Guest jessicaksu125

Two questions about vets...

Do I remember reading correctly on here that some vets, if you bring two dogs in, will only charge you for one appointment/exam? If so is this something I should generally expect, or is it rare?

Also, whenever I go, I'm always charged $30-some bucks for an examination. If it's a visit for shots, the "exam" seems to be the vet looking Gigi over quickly -- takes about 2 minutes -- saying she looks healthy (which she is) and asking if I have any questions.

I do really like the vet I'm seeing, but even after a year I don't have enough experience to tell if his practices are standard or if I might find someplace else suited to taking two dogs. He's the second one I've gone to -- the first one I really didn't like.

The thing I really like about the office is that the techs are extremely helpful over the phone. If you have an issue they will spend time and troubleshoot -- suggest over the counter remedies and stuff to try first -- to save myself the visit. Between that and the local greyhound people I've been able to take care of several problems on my own, where I thought I'd need to go in.

Also, when I do go in, the vet will take the time to answer any and all of my questions, instead of rushing out the door to see the next patient (like my doctor does!). He seems knowledgable about greyhounds and their quirks (he always says, "hmm... nice teeth for a greyhound")

The techs love Gigi and remember her even though we've gone in maybe three times in the course of a year. Plus the vet is only a mile down the road, so we can walk if the pup is feeling ok, won't have anything done to make her woozy, and it's nice!

Edited by jessicaksu125

Guest lauri

At our place the vet tech takes temperature asks questions, writes down concerns or whatever info is needed, and then the vet comes in, feels out the dog, looks in ears and eyes. Then if any blood is taken or shots given they go into a different room.

Our physical exam is $52.

Guest IrskasMom

Just recently ... Morty had a Dental .I spend for Bloodwork prior to the Dental ,for Heartworm-Check and overall Check

$ 298 . Then came the Dental $ 239 and the Postdental check and Booster for Lyme Shot $62. Personally I really resent the

postdental check by a Tech $ 27 . I think , this should have been included in the Dental. Is that just my Opinion?

Guest KennelMom
Two questions about vets...

Do I remember reading correctly on here that some vets, if you bring two dogs in, will only charge you for one appointment/exam? If so is this something I should generally expect, or is it rare?

Our vet used to do this - or they'd charge a partial visit for the 2d dog. However, on our last two trips (one dog/one cat and 2 dogs) we were charged an office visit for each. I guess the reduced charges were nice while they lasted :lol I'm pretty sure the office visit charge increased as well b/c I don't remember them being $43. Their "follow up" office charge is $30 (which is kinda steep IMO...they use to be $20-something). I kinda figured their billing practices would change when one of the partners retired and they started renovating the office space. :rolleyes:

But, I'll live with it. I can understand why...If I brought them each in on two separate days, the vet would have done the same exam so why not charge individual exam prices - it's not their "fault" I saved myself a trip and brought them in at the same time and the same office visit doesn't reduce their or their staffs work (that I can tell). However, on my last visit I needed 10 days of Rimadyl to get us through until our prescription came and our vet just gave me enough samples to cover the time, when he could have charged me. So, I feel like they still try to cut us a deal when they can.

Also, whenever I go, I'm always charged $30-some bucks for an examination. If it's a visit for shots, the "exam" seems to be the vet looking Gigi over quickly -- takes about 2 minutes -- saying she looks healthy (which she is) and asking if I have any questions.

I do really like the vet I'm seeing, but even after a year I don't have enough experience to tell if his practices are standard or if I might find someplace else suited to taking two dogs. He's the second one I've gone to -- the first one I really didn't like.

The thing I really like about the office is that the techs are extremely helpful over the phone. If you have an issue they will spend time and troubleshoot -- suggest over the counter remedies and stuff to try first -- to save myself the visit. Between that and the local greyhound people I've been able to take care of several problems on my own, where I thought I'd need to go in.

Also, when I do go in, the vet will take the time to answer any and all of my questions, instead of rushing out the door to see the next patient (like my doctor does!). He seems knowledgable about greyhounds and their quirks (he always says, "hmm... nice teeth for a greyhound")

The techs love Gigi and remember her even though we've gone in maybe three times in the course of a year. Plus the vet is only a mile down the road, so we can walk if the pup is feeling ok, won't have anything done to make her woozy, and it's nice!

I love our vet too - They take as much time as I need to answer all my questions and I feel like I'm a partner in my dogs' care rather than just a pet person they're just trying to get out the door so they can get on to their next appt. The staff is wonderful when I call or come in. Our vet doesn't give us a hard time about writing RX for some bulk prescriptions we like to keep on hand (i.e. Rimadyl) and letting us order from a pharmacy if they can't match the price. We don't do shots at our vet, but they accept the paperwork from the mobile vet who does them (some vet offices in the area won't). All in all, I won't quibble over a higher price here or there b/c I'm really sastisfied with the overall experience we have at our vet. If you're happy with the service they provide and OK with their prices, then I'd say stick with your vet. It doesn't sound like they are too out of the ordinary.

Edited by KennelMom

My vets vary a bit. If you take them in a second time for the same problem in a reasonably short period of time (a month?), they charge the lower recheck fee or nothing at all. If you take them in the first time and they want you to come back to see a different doc or have a special test on a day when they're less busy, they only charge for one visit. If you take them in and it's a 20-second question sort of thing, usually there's no charge.

I think our office visit fee is now $32 and the recheck fee is $22. Generally no fee for suture/staple removal or other required follow-ups on things like surgery.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest lotsagreys4me

I didn't even consider charges when I found my current vet. I really like him and feel confident taking my greys to him. Then I discovered how reasonable his fees are. wow. There is no office charge for giving shots and a brief check up is included. Regular office visits, if there is a problem, are $30.00. He just went up from $28.00 !!! Re-checks are free as is staple and/or stitch removal. Pre dental blood work is $80.00. I have never taken two dogs in together so not sure if it would be a charge for two office visits or not.

My vets vary a bit. If you take them in a second time for the same problem in a reasonably short period of time (a month?), they charge the lower recheck fee or nothing at all. If you take them in the first time and they want you to come back to see a different doc or have a special test on a day when they're less busy, they only charge for one visit. If you take them in and it's a 20-second question sort of thing, usually there's no charge.

I think our office visit fee is now $32 and the recheck fee is $22. Generally no fee for suture/staple removal or other required follow-ups on things like surgery.

Mine's a bit like that. For a thorough annual exam, I think I pay a $52 fee (that involves a good going over, ears, teeth, temperature, corns, etc. and it's about 30 minutes or so) but for short "problem" visits (a 15 minute visit), it's $30-ish, plus I get discounted for being involved in rescue. My vet will very often waive the fee for hulling corns and just charge me the office visit or 1/2 the corn fee :) I love my vet :D

She also saw one of our fosters and booked a 50 minute appointment so she could go over him really well (he's a senior) and that visit was $56 (after our discount).

Oh, my cats go to a different vet (they hate to travel so we had to find a vet close-by) and they each get charged a $50 fee when we take them in altogether. But what's weird and what I don't like about that place is that the $50 is for the vet to see them, plus we get charged $30 each for the office visit, so it amounts to $80 per kitty just to walk in. Fortunately, they're healthy cats and only need to go in for shots/annual exam. I'm sure we'll find a different vet when we move (we'll be closer to Frederick and Leesburg than Rockville).

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

For our vet, we get charged a $50 fee for any visit that means we see and speak to the vet. I usually go in with a list of questions to ask so I know I'm getting my monies worth. When we go with multiple dogs, if I've booked for both, we get charged for both. If I bring one in with the other and sneak a question in, they don't charge. :)

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

The best vet we've had so far charged an office visit fee for every visit. Also, if I brought both dogs he'd charge the visit fee twice, so after that I would just bring the dogs in separately - easier on me and the dog got more one-on-one time.

I think if you're comfortable with the vet and like their care I wouldn't worry about the money unless you are really strapped for cash. Good vets can be hard to find.

Office visit charge every time here, and for every animal (except for the bordatella shot, for some reason). I figure I usually end up with enough questions that it's fair enough.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

What your vet is charging sounds reasonable to me and is in line what what I pay also.

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Guest sheila

if I bring multiple animals in at the same time the vet charges me for one exam fee of $35. In fact if I bring 3 animals in at the same time he will give a 10% discount on the entire visit (not including any take home meds I might pick up)

Guest mickie37

[

My Vets charge $30.00 for an office visit which includes the blood draw for heart worm, weight, temperature. lung and heart auscultation, ear check and palpation of the whole body. They answer questions during that time and check out any special concerns.

There is a charge for the vaccines but no charge for administration of the vaccines

My barn cats visit the vet tech for their annual shots and that way I pay only for the vaccine.

I get a 10% discount on the office visit because I have multiple dogs.

I have been going to these vets for years and have built up a good relationship with them.

Happy Tails to You

Mickie

Stacks-Haus Sheep Company

Ohio on the North Coast.

Our office visits here are $65.00.My vet knows I'm a bit sensitive with my dogs and even if the appt is for one, I bring them all and he expects it. So he'll always ask if everyone else is okay and check them at no charge. He also is always available to me by phone and I have his home # in the event that I need him after hours. When my Von Willebrands boy started to bleed after a dental, it was 9:00 at night. I called him and he rushed to the office to meet us there. I hope this guy never retires

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

I've never taken both in at the same time. But I took Jill in today for a followup visit. She reinjured her toe for which she was seen 3 weeks ago. So really I assumed it would be treated a separeate visit. I wasn't charged an exam fee or office fee. The vet took an xray and needed a second view. The second xray was only 2/3 the price of the first. I love my vet.

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren