It's Flash

Last Friday Flash went in for his senior/wellness exam. On his "physical" exam he got an A+ with the exception of a cracked molar. He got his shots and had all of his lab tests. We were scheduling his dental and extraction for sometime next week. Then we get the call. Dental is on hold due to his labs. His urine was very dilute and showed protein. His BUN and Creat. are normal. But his liver function tests are off. His GGT is very elevated as is his AST. We wait until May 1st and repeat the labs but fasting...and repeat the urine with a first morning specimen. We are very worried~he seems like himself and is not indicating that he is having any problems. He just CAN'T be sick...I don't think we can take much more. :cry1

Edited by patricia

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Oh geez... :( Not Flashy. :cry1 Might want to put him on Milk Thistle for liver support in the meanwhile. Sending lots of prayers to your precious boy. :hope

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Guest KennelMom

Been there. I know how scary it is :( Seems like the last few blood tests we've run have come back with abnormal liver values. The rechecks came back fine. Sending prayers :hope

Guest paulamariez

Aw, poor sweet Flash! I will keep your precious boy in my prayers so that it's nothing and that he's a healthy hound! Tiger, Bueller and Domino are sending Flash some good luck doggie kisses.

Flashman - don't even think about it. Just be well.

:candle

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

Guest tcornwel
Last Friday Flash went in for his senior/wellness exam. On his "physical" exam he got an A+ with the exception of a cracked molar. He got his shots and had all of his lab tests. We were scheduling his dental and extraction for sometime next week. Then we get the call. Dental is on hold due to his labs. His urine was very dilute and showed protein. His BUN and Creat. are normal. But his liver function tests are off. His GGT is very elevated as is his AST. We wait until May 1st and repeat the labs but fasting...and repeat the urine with a first morning specimen. We are very worried~he seems like himself and is not indicating that he is having any problems. He just CAN'T be sick...I don't think we can take much more. :cry1

Just thought I would chime in with something I learned the hard way in January. If he was running hard a couple of days before bloodwork that would elevate liver and muscle enzymes Not sure what it does to kidney values.

Before the retest don't let him run for a couple of days.

Fingers and paws crossed that the results turn out to be a fluke.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

If your Flashman is acting normally, eats well is happy and goofy...I personally would NOT make him go through so many 'vet tests'.

My Ivy will be 12 years old in a few months. His only vet visits were when he broke his leg many years ago and when he tore off a ligament

of his hock joint. Those were accidents but I never took him to the vet without need. He never had a dental...he never had a blood panel done...

he never got checked up. I think when a hound acts normally, has a shining coat, is playful, has a good pink gum colour and eats well there's

NO need to take a dog to the vet. My personal experiences with vets are not good and I have become very careful...

--------------------------------------------

user posted imageuser posted image

Marion, Ivy & Soldi

Perseverance is not a long race...

it is many short races one after another.

We're sending lots of good thoughts to you and Flashy.

We had a similar scare with Cleo and Cole in late February. Both had blood work done and both had elevated liver values. We thought it was a bit suspicious but agreed to have further tests run (bile acids testing) and all was fine. We opted to wait and re-test blood work rather than do more invasive testing.

Hopefully all will be well with Flashy.

Jennifer

Cleo (Golddust Cadilac 83484 Blazing Desire X Greys Blu Fox)

Cole (Hallo Jeremy 88778 My Rooster X Bahama Tango)

Athena (R and a Peach 93839 Coldwater Guv X R and a Lady)

user posted image

Oh no! Not Flashman! Patti I'm sorry to hear this... hopefully it will be a false alarm. Sending lots and lots of good thoughts and hugs to you. :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

:goodluck :goodluck :goodluck

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

If your Flashman is acting normally, eats well is happy and goofy...I personally would NOT make him go through so many 'vet tests'.

My Ivy will be 12 years old in a few months. His only vet visits were when he broke his leg many years ago and when he tore off a ligament

of his hock joint. Those were accidents but I never took him to the vet without need. He never had a dental...he never had a blood panel done...

he never got checked up. I think when a hound acts normally, has a shining coat, is playful, has a good pink gum colour and eats well there's

NO need to take a dog to the vet. My personal experiences with vets are not good and I have become very careful...

Not to steal the thread from the OP but, really, you have got to be kidding. I'm pretty sure that everyone today knows how important early detection can be!

Guest KRKWMU

Oh, geesh...you certainly don't need another hound to be ill! We'll be thinking about you and Flash. Bonnie sends big hugs. :grouphug I'm sure the 1st of May won't come soon enough for you. :( But, I'm sure everything will turn out OK. Good thoughts and chants are on their way to Flash! :goodluck

Milk Thistle, Sam E and Vitamin E are excellent liver detoxifiers. I used all three to bring down my IG's enzymes when she was having her liver shunt scare (not a shunt, probably MVD). Her values are now totally normal so she's on Sam E only. ask about it, they're things that certainly can't hurt even if they don't help in your situation like they did mine.

Angie, Pewter, and Storm-puppy

Forever missing Misty-Mousie (9/9/99 - 10/5/15)
Fort Wayne, Indiana

:candle:hope

Melanie and Eric with Leminim and Eieio and silly kitty Elsa.
See you again someday, my sweet Payton (Flying Payton May 9, 2000-March 18, 2012)
Missing my sweet JJ, world's sweetest cat (April 1997-November 30, 2015)

Stealing food in heaven, my darling Minnie (2006-April 21, 2016)
Reunited with her favorite person in heaven, my Dad, Satin the skittish kitty (2002-May 7, 2016)